LPU Chat With Mike!

hahninator

I definitely figured out what I'm going to ask.

Mike said the band was not going to use Rick Rubin as a producer because they wanted to try someone new, but they ended up asking him to produce again anyway. What changed their minds?

For the record I'm not one of those people that thinks OMG Rick Rubin = MTM2!!!, I'm just interested to know.

And did Mike really say before PR08 was done they'd have played NRL? I thought he only said they'd rehearsed it.

"Mike, why not save on the cost of DSP's, and just sell a CD at every show titled "Greatest Hits?"

A less clever way of asking might be, "Will your setlists always be generic?" (sorry, new intros don't = a rare song played in full).

I don't get it. People buy the DSP's before and after the show. The band do not hold you at gun point and force you to buy the freaking CD. So why are you bitching and moaning about it. You knew exactly what you were going to get. If you don't like their set-list, do what normal people do, don't go see them.

Just like the people who bought Minutes to Midnight and are still bitching and whining.

As for questions asked, the most annoying questions that people ask all the time are "is the album going to sound like Hybrid Theory?" "Is it going to be more heavy?" "Is it going to be another Minutes to Midnight?" Are you guys going to go back to your old style?" blah blah blah..

Talk about redundant and boring.

Edited by arbiter

I don't get it. People buy the DSP's before and after the show. The band do not hold you at gun point and force you to buy the freaking CD. So why are you bitching and moaning about it. You knew exactly what you were going to get. If you don't like their set-list, do what normal people do, don't go see them.

Yeah. What makes those DSPs special is that you get to always have the full recording of the specific LP show YOU were at. That's what makes it cool.

I think with all the distributing of DSPs that happens online through LPL/other sites, people have lost sight of that and think that each DSP is like a new live album or something.

"Mike, why not save on the cost of DSP's, and just sell a CD at every show titled "Greatest Hits?"

A less clever way of asking might be, "Will your setlists always be generic?" (sorry, new intros don't = a rare song played in full).

<_< if someone asks that, he/she will be my hero!

I've never participated in a chat but to me these chats always seem messy and a bit uncoordinated. Wouldn't it be cooler to do it in a similar way as you guys and LPA did it with the Chester interview? Like, collecting questions for Mike in a certain thread, and then the LPU mods or leaders pick out the 20 (or whatever amount) best (or most asked) questions and Mike answers to them in a written response or on the phone? This would prevent having the same questions over and over again, and I'm sure it would be more informative, and less stressful for Mike. And one could publish the username of the one who asks, so it would also feel like asking Mike directly in the chat.

Now that is the smartest idea I've ever heard when it comes to the chats (no sarcasm intended.) It's too bad that the moderators at LPU aren't as brilliant as the ones here @ LP Live.

I've never participated in a chat but to me these chats always seem messy and a bit uncoordinated. Wouldn't it be cooler to do it in a similar way as you guys and LPA did it with the Chester interview? Like, collecting questions for Mike in a certain thread, and then the LPU mods or leaders pick out the 20 (or whatever amount) best (or most asked) questions and Mike answers to them in a written response or on the phone? This would prevent having the same questions over and over again, and I'm sure it would be more informative, and less stressful for Mike. And one could publish the username of the one who asks, so it would also feel like asking Mike directly in the chat.

That's really a great idea. Maybe we could do it here. We must have some LPU members here. (I am but it starts at 3 my time and I don't get home till 3:50 :angry: ) We can get some good questions in and hopefully the Mods will past them.

I don't really blame the people who ask the questions, but the Mods who past the stupid ones. I remember during the Chester chat they asked him if he had OJ before a show. WTF? seriously! Then again we don't see what the mods do, but there must be better ways of doing this. (like immortalsouls' idea)

It's too bad that the moderators at LPU aren't as brilliant as the ones here @ LP Live.

In the most non-egotistical way possible - thanks. I appreciate that. I work really hard on LPLive and try to make it really cool for people to come here and visit every day (mainly by our exclusive downloads and extensive live show coverage) and it really makes me feel like it was worth it when someone goes out of their way and says thanks ;)

@meteora_01 and numbrocker: Thanks! Haha, if I was in the LPU, I would actually suggest that idea to one of the mods there, or post about it in a message board. But maybe Adam reads this and likes the idea - who knows ;)

BTW: My idea would also prevent these time shift problems. People would not have to stay awake in the night, or miss it because they thought it would take place at another time. I just think those regular chats are a bit outdated nowadays. There are cooler and more modern ways to do it ;)

Edited by immortalsoul

Got some updates from the chat for you non-LPU guys:

a pic of mike chatting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_real_mike...oda/3888100900/

(Notice that he's in the LPL flickr group)

Quotes:

"MTM b-sides: maybe someday. No concrete plans yet" (asked by me)

"FM ideas = new LP ideas"

"goals: to redo my website / blog. FYI, we're going to be re-doing all our websites in the near future."

"Hey Mike, why is it that you are the only one that ever posts on the LPU message boards? - because I am more awesome"

" self-portrait: funny you ask this. I just got asked to be a part of a self-portrait art show. more info to come on mikeshinoda.com"

(about next year/LPU's 10th anniversary) "Actually, it's Hybrid Theory's 10th anniversary first, so we're trying to come up with something cool for that"

"We are already working on the art for the new LP cycle. I have NO idea where we'll end up, but we want the whole thing--music, art, live show, web, merch--to have a more solid, unique identity than ever before."

"New logo: I kinda like the circle one. My vote is to keep it for a while. We always change logos every album...but the circle one feels like it should stick around. To me, at least"

"Hey Mike, what can you tell us about the Xero song „Pictureboard"? Have you ever recorded it? If so, could we LPU members download it or sth? Thanks! (asked by me) - "Pictureboard is a song. I've never seen it online. I'm pretty sure it's not out there. We have a bunch of songs that aren't out there, though."

"there was a ? about the song "lockjaw" -- i think it was kinda a step along the way. the new stuff has some of that post modern / post rock feel, but again, I don't know what will end up on the album"

"LP app for iPhone is coming along! A little slower than I had hoped, but it looks good. I think it will be an RPG style thing. It'll be slightly dark, but with a sense of humor."

"DC shoes: I'm not designing any more DC shoes. time to move on"

"Hey Mike. are you working on a new stage design for linkin park? - yes."

Wow. He answered two of my questions. :blink:

Edited by JanekZech

Eh...I'm not too disappointed that I totally forgot about the chat now. No good questions or answers really, like usual LPU chats. I still think the chats were good in like 2005, Chester actually answered one of my questions then.

=)

But...I'm sort of worried now that LPU9 won't have b-sides or demos after all since Mike basically just said no to MTM b-sides.

But...I'm sort of worried now that LPU9 won't have b-sides or demos after all since Mike basically just said no to MTM b-sides.

No... I think it'll be rather like "No, no plans for MTM b-sides in the near future" and then LPU9 is released and -surprise!- MTM b-sides! ;)

Or at least I hope so...

Edited by JanekZech

(about next year/LPU's 10th anniversary) "Actually, it's Hybrid Theory's 10th anniversary first, so we're trying to come up with something cool for that"

Considering Chester hadn't given any thought to Hybrid Theory's 10th anniversary prior to LPLive asking him about it in the interview we did with him, I wonder if he pitched the idea to the rest of the band? It'd be kind of cool if we gave them the idea.

Considering Chester hadn't given any thought to Hybrid Theory's 10th anniversary prior to LPLive asking him about it in the interview we did with him, I wonder if he pitched the idea to the rest of the band? It'd be kind of cool if we gave them the idea.

Good theory Astat. I really hope they do some sort of special set of shows where they play Hybrid Theory from front to back. Ahh probably not though.

Possible, but doubtful. Solid chat. Thanks for the quotes above, I think some good information came out of it. Really like the fact he said he wants this new cycle from the show to the music to the merch to be completely new and unique. I mean, that is every band's goal I do believe for a new album but its always good to hear. Also good to hear about a new stage design - I believe there will be some serious, serious production on the next LP tour. NIN/Metallica-type production.

I really was sort of disappointed with the chat at some points. It had a lot of ups and downs. Lots of good questions like HT 10th anniversary/New stage/Pictureboard/LPU9 design, further band artwork.

But what I don't understand, and no disrespect to the LPU mods who work the chat because I appreciate them so much for conducting these chats, but too many questions passed today were already answered TONS of times in recent interviews.

4 seperate questions were passed that, basically, went like this:

"Mike, do you foresee another FM record excluding the energy going into the new album?"

"Will the new album include more rap-rock songs?"

"With Rick Rubin producing, will this album sound like MTM?"

"Mike, do you ever think another FM album will be made?"

Yes, the first and last question were both asked (obviously not word for word as I posted, but you get the idea.) Again, no disrespect to the mods, or the LPUers hoping to get their questions asked, but that was really repetitive, and the answers could be found in quite a few other places already.

Edited by Xero21

What was the difference between the logo for meteora and for HT because Mike said they changed it with every album...does he mean after the release of LIT?

Nice to see there will hopefully be a new stage because after the Euro winter tour the stage was a little lame - nothing compared to what they used to be, I especially liked the one for Summer Sonic!

And also nice to hear they're considering something special for HT 10th anniversary :D

What was the difference between the logo for meteora and for HT because Mike said they changed it with every album...does he mean after the release of LIT?

Nice to see there will hopefully be a new stage because after the Euro winter tour the stage was a little lame - nothing compared to what they used to be, I especially liked the one for Summer Sonic!

And also nice to hear they're considering something special for HT 10th anniversary :D

For Hybrid Theory they had the 4 little emblems as a logo (the arrow, the LP sign, the signature and the graph). For Meteora they had the LP logo with the 4 brackets and backwards "P".