LP7

Geki

The Hunting Party will most likely end this year after the band is done touring. What are you guys expecting from LP7? I saw this thread over at LPA and it intrigued me. I personally have no idea what direction the band will head in, and I also have little to no expectations because I'm confident it will be awesome, they haven't disappointed me yet.

Chester has recently stated that they want to continue on with the high energy attitude and make songs that are fun to play live, but he isn't sure if they will continue on with the heavy rock sound of THP. He said that either way, though, they just want to make high energy songs that are fun to play live.

I think LP7 will be a mix of THP and LT, probably. LT is my favorite LP album, so that makes me very happy. Of coarse, I could be completely wrong, no one knows what LP will do.

Basically, I hope LP will write some solid songs that aren't trying to impress people and just make them GOOD. I want lyrics similar to those of MTM and ATS and I want solid vocal performances from Chester. That is basically all I want. I used to want screams but THP has satisfied that need for me with songs like KTTK, War and Rebellion.

What do you guys want to hear from LP on LP7 and what do you think the band will do?

Edited by Geki

I personally would like a sound similar to the Yesternumb/MTM/beginning of ATS era of LP. Basically not as heavy but quality songs with a more mature outlook.

I think I agree. I don't think they'll continue with making a point of how "aggressive" or "visceral" they can be, but I wonder if they'll work with more political themes for album 7.

NMS or W&K-style

I think that the band has the ability to do another deeper/introspective album like ATS was. The Hunting Party is a success even for the LP themselves, because they manage to compose some really awesome, rocking, aggressive stuff. ALITS and MTG makes me wanting the Band to push further in more complex structure of soongs and a progressive oriented style. So THP can rappresent an excellent start for doing something like this. I would like them to keep this kind of energy and combine it with deeper structure, concept and themes of ATS.

I think I agree. I don't think they'll continue with making a point of how "aggressive" or "visceral" they can be, but I wonder if they'll work with more political themes for album 7.

NMS or W&K-style

Yeah. The reason that I said ''beginning of ATS'' is because that was before they went super electronic with the album. I still want guitar and drums like on MTM, but I want more mature lyrics and really good vocal performances, etc.

Edited by Geki

I want songs like Holding Company (guitars like in that song and that "happy" vibe) with some Mike's raps like Lost In The Echo verses and melodic vocals by Chester (not vocals like GATS, Wastelands. I prefer vocals in LITE or The Catalyst) not like THP, not like ATS. Like Holding Company, Until it's Gone, Roads Untraveled. (Living Things with heavier guitars and less electronics - it's the best way to describe my thoughts)

I gave this topic some thought a couple of days ago, before this thread. This goes in-depth. In my opinion, I like to take A Thousand Suns as an example. I don’t want them to replicate this album, but to continue the great things they did on this album.

Lyrics

Firstly, I'd like them to reinvent themselves with the lyrics and to really get nitpicky with them. A song like Until It's Gone has a Linkin Park stamp on it. It’s so Linkin Park, while the band has the potential to write really good songs, like they did on A Thousand Suns. I don’t have problems with the personal nor political point of view. I just want it to be good.

Secondly, something I didn’t liked on It Goes Through, for example, is that the second verse is almost identical to the first, which I find disappointing.

Thirdly, I want Mike to get off his horse and not to brag so much. It made sense on a song like When They Come for Me because it matches the theme of the album, but since Living Things and especially on The Hunting Party (Keys to the Kingdom, All for Nothing, Wastelands, A Line in the Sand), he exaggerates it. Where are the themes he used on Papercut or Fort Minor?

Music

What bothered me on Living Things (and before actually, but it came to the front on this album) was the song structure the band used on many songs. Of course the AABA-pattern is a common thing in the current pop music world and it’s okay to use that. But you can experiment within this structure. So what have New Divide, Burning in the Skies, Lost in the Echo, I’ll Be Gone, and Powerless in common? The last four bars in the bridge consist of the first lyrical bars/sentences from the chorus. It’s so repetitive. It´s a way that the band became familiar with in writing a transition between the bridge and the final chorus. But every song in A Thousand Suns was different compared to another song on that album. The Hunting Party likewise. Did you know that Keys to the Kingdom, All for Nothing, Wastelands, Rebellion, Final Masquerade and A Line in the Sand all differ in their final chorus?

I’d love to hear them experiment with song structure, time signatures, creating amazing ambiances (like in Castle of Glass, Powerless, Final Masquerade, Until It’s Gone and all of A Thousand Suns), retaining energy with rock/metal sounds (Figure .09, Papercut etc.) and taking their best songs to a whole new level (A Line in the Sand, the Little Things Give You Away, Keys to the Kingdom (the second half).

Style

What I love about Linkin Park is that they are able to do anything. The only genre they didn´t do is R&B. Every album (except for Meteora) has its own sound. On Minutes to Midnight, the band tried to go astray from the nu metal sound, in which they succeeded. On A Thousand Suns, they tried to expand their barriers even more, in every way. Living Things was the commercial album, a commercial compromise, to reconnect with some lost rock fans but in their own comfortable way. The Hunting Party was the critical compromise, to gain some credibility with the rock critics but also as a response to rock radio, but again in their own way, once again, expanding barriers.

So what’s next? I really don’t know. But I bet I’m going to love it again. They could go commercial again, like they did on Meteora and Living Things, but I don’t think they will. I expect something slightly softer with more electronics in it and Chester more prominent. You never know it with Linkin Park. I think that the next album will come out in 2017/18, in a different music world with new influences.

what are people's thoughts on the band taking a break (like 2005-2006)? Chester's STP stuff might take the forefront, Mike'll do something.. etc.

if anything, time away seems to make their "returning" tour cycles bigger

or do you think they'll jump straight into writing and recording again?

what are people's thoughts on the band taking a break (like 2005-2006)? Chester's STP stuff might take the forefront, Mike'll do something.. etc.

if anything, time away seems to make their "returning" tour cycles bigger

or do you think they'll jump straight into writing and recording again?

Yes, because Rob and Chester have both stated a few days ago that LP will start work on LP7 in September of this year. This is more or less the same pattern they used in 2011 and released LT the following summer, as well as the same pattern they used in 2013 and released THP the following summer.

Edited by Geki

Chester actually just confirmed that LP is working on the 7th album right now in the new press conference he attended for the upcoming US tour.

''I’m kind of realizing that we aren’t the new guys and we’ve kind of graduated to being, like, veterans and almost to a certain degree, almost like a certain level of nostalgia, which is pretty cool to have lasted that long. We’ve released our sixth album and we’re preparing to work on our seventh album coming up here soon.''

SOURCE: http://www.altwire.net/2015/01/14/the-hunting-party-tour-press-conference/

Edited by Geki

Chester actually just confirmed that LP is working on the 7th album right now in the new press conference he attended for the upcoming US tour.

''I’m kind of realizing that we aren’t the new guys and we’ve kind of graduated to being, like, veterans and almost to a certain degree, almost like a certain level of nostalgia, which is pretty cool to have lasted that long. We’ve released our sixth album and we’re preparing to work on our seventh album coming up here soon.''

SOURCE: http://www.altwire.net/2015/01/14/the-hunting-party-tour-press-conference/

To be fair, I wouldn't take that as a sign that the new album will be out any sooner than usual. The band is pretty much always writing, and always working so the statement that they'll begin work on LP7 soon shouldn't be taken too seriously. They'll probably begin demos later this year, but I wouldn't expect anything till mid 2016 at the earliest if I were you. Chester's going to be working on new STP music, and I'm sure a new STP tour/EP will likely happen before LP7.

Edited by LPADerek

To be fair, I wouldn't take that as a sign that the new album will be out any sooner than usual. The band is pretty much always writing, and always working so the statement that they'll begin work on LP7 soon shouldn't be taken too seriously. They'll probably begin demos later this year, but I wouldn't expect anything till mid 2016 at the earliest if I were you. Chester's going to be working on new STP music, and I'm sure a new STP tour/EP will likely happen before LP7.

STP doesn't get in the way of LP at all so that really has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Geki

It may or may not be a good album, but who cares when they won't bother playing it live...

I know that it sucks that LP won't play much of the album live. Same thing happened with LT. But I listen to LP's studio music WAY more than their live music and I honestly rarely ever listen to live recordings, so honestly, I don't care. I think GATS shouldn't be played and it should be replaced with UIG, especially since Mike does Rakim's part which annoys the fuck out of me, but that's just my opinion. Basically it's LP's call what they decide to do in terms of live. But studio is the most important in the scope of things.

I'm very curious as to whether they will continue with THP sound. I would be okay with that, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind if they ventured off into another direction. Would you guys be opposed to another record that sounded like THP? Do you think they could improve that sound beside some of the lyrics?

I'm completely against a THP sound. There's hardly any electronic influence on the album, which is kind of a staple of LP's music. I didn't like that on THP. It's a one-time deal, otherwise there's no use in keeping Joe in the band imo.

I'm completely against a THP sound. There's hardly any electronic influence on the album, which is kind of a staple of LP's music. I didn't like that on THP. It's a one-time deal, otherwise there's no use in keeping Joe in the band imo.

This is a very good point. While I did like that this album had noticeable instrumentation, I feel kind of sorry for Joe. I wish they could find a good balance between the instruments and electronics. Also, I don't have a problem with typical song structures, but it would be awesome if they experimented with different structures, like they did with ATS. That was one of my favorite things about that album.