Unlisted Grey Daze Shows / Notes

LESTAT

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to post a new Grey Daze exclusive/tribute for Chester in coming weeks. Until then, please, bear with me posting info on a lot of Grey Daze shows almost daily, as I still have a lot of stuff to let you know about, some of which I almost gave up on posting about due to Chester's tragic passing.

The following photo was recently posted by Chester's and Sean's friend named Henry Haun. It is Chester performing in Henry Haun's house with Sean Dowdell And His Friends?.

Henry Haun.jpg

As Henry told me: "The photo is from a house party about 1992 in phoenix az...32nd st and shea blvd in phoenix".

1992.xx.xx Phoenix, AZ, N 32nd St & Shea Blvd, Henry Haun's Private Party

A friend of his thinks it was sometime around Christmas.

I'm going to post a new Grey Daze exclusive/tribute for Chester in coming weeks. Until then, please, bear with me posting info on a lot of Grey Daze shows almost daily, as I still have a lot of stuff to let you know about, some of which I almost gave up on posting about due to Chester's tragic passing.

The following photo was recently posted by Chester's and Sean's friend named Henry Haun. It is Chester performing in Henry Haun's house with Sean Dowdell And His Friends?.

attachicon.gifHenry Haun.jpg

As Henry told me: "The photo is from a house party about 1992 in phoenix az...32nd st and shea blvd in phoenix".

1992.xx.xx Phoenix, AZ, N 32nd St & Shea Blvd, Henry Haun's Private Party

A friend of his thinks it was sometime around Christmas.

That's such an awesome photo. Thanks for sharing!

So, as I reported a few pages back, before being the shop, Club Tattoo was a regular convention type of show in Electric Ballroom dedicated to tattoos. That's what Mace was talking about, when he mentioned himself putting on conventions in the Ballroom in Grey Daze Story.

I found out there was also a related monthly event called Club Sex that was also dedicated to tattoos and piercing, but according to Mace, was like a "swinger night" that featured such vendors like adult book stores, wet t-shirt contest, etc.

Club Sex on Tuesday, 14th, Club Tattoo on Tuesday, 28th:

musicvoicemagazine-feb1995.jpg

It also turned out that Grey Daze performed on the very first Club Sex and their performance was filmed by a person supposedly named Dene from a local video production company. It doesn't look like it's possible to find and obtain the tape as of right now. If it was indeed the very first Club Sex as my two different sources suggest, then the show took place sometime between late-1994 - early-1995. Added the show to the first post.

The person who told me about that Club Sex show Grey Daze played (she commented about getting her first tattoo at the event and remembered Grey Daze being one of the bands playing that night and how it was filmed by Mace's friend) posted a beautiful tribute for Chester and, in it, she tells the show took place on her birthday aka Valentines Day, so it means that was actually one of the shows we can see on the picture:

1995.02.14 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, Club Sex (with Warsaw, Chalk Farm and Curious Walk)

Check out Michelle's tribute in it's entirity: https://perasperaadastra214.wordpress.com/2017/07/31/for-chester-for-me-for-you/

Part of the footage recorded at that above-mentioned Club Sex show. Warsaw's (aka Warsaw Poland Bros) song called "Magic Flower":

The caption during the video that says "February 14, 1994" and the video's title are wrong. That's actually 1995.02.14. The venue didn't exist in February, 1994, as the exact date that Electric Ballroom has first opened its doors is September 30th, 1994.

Proof:
1994.09.28 Arizona Republic.png

The photos that were posted by various different people over the last two months (both before and after Chester's death).

The only known photos of Jason Barnes and Mace Beyers both being in the band:
Sean1.jpg Sean2.jpg

Chester circa 1993:
Jeff Daniel.jpg

Chester around 1995-1996:
Steven Landos.jpg

Wake Me and a demo tape marked June '94.
Stephani Stewart.jpg

The name of the studio is partially erased. I used this website to figure out the missing letters: http://www.crosswordsolver.org/solve/--ething

"Teething Studios". That's the studio Nihil's debut album Drown was recorded at, aka Scott Crowley's apartment studio, so the tape is Scott Crowley Sessions. Now we know the exact month it was recorded, although my guess was pretty accurate anyway:

the recording sessions for the Grey Daze “Wake Me” album began in October 1994. These demos, titled the “Scott Crowley Sessions” predate that and were recorded sometime in the middle of the year.

Chester with an unidentified person. Perhaps, his friend Jason that he played with before SDAHF?:
ChesterUnknown.png

• 4 weeks later...

The following photo was posted on Grey Daze's Facebook.

GDClippingsFacebook.png

The pages are compilation of Grey Daze clippings from local magazines. One of the clippings advertises the band's show with Lemon Krayola on November 10th. The year is not specified, but the following 1995 clipping confirms that Lemona Krayola played the Ballroom on this date in 1995:

1995.11.10 Arizona Republic.jpg

1995.11.10 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (Opening for Lemon Krayola)

Some person commented on the photo: "Good times back then Sean, glad I was able to be there in person for most. One of my all time favorite nights was when Grey Daze opened for sevendust, hed-pe and snot!"

That's not the first time I'm hearing about the show, because right after Chester's death, Hed PE's former member Mark Young posted the following message as a tribute: "I think many of us have some fond memories and anecdotes of Chester Bennington to share. Mine goes all the way back to 1998 before Linkin Park came to be, when Hed PE was on tour with Snot. Hed PE was opening for this legendary band and we were playing one night at an outdoor venue in Tempe called Boston's, which is long since gone. During the Snot set, fueled by a few beers, I thought it would be a great idea to stage dive during the show. For a couple minutes it was awesome, getting passed around the crowd while Snot rocked the stage, untl I reached the back of the crowd and was dropped from 6 feet in the air straight onto my head. I was a little dazed and bleeding when a young lad in the audience and his lady came up to help me. He had dreadlocks and an infectious smile, and they half-carried me out to our bus. He got me home safely, commented on what a great show it was, said goodnight and I never saw him again.
Then in 2000, when Linkin Park opened up for Hed PE for a few brief moments before they went off to the moon, a shaven-head young lad with that same infectious smile came up to me at the start of tour - now the singer of Linkin Park - and recounted the story from Boston's of how he and his wife Samantha had picked me up and helped me out to our bus.
Such a sweet soul, he will be dearly missed."

Link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=520433954955054&id=100009653621671

The date that Snot, Hed PE and Sevendust played Boston's is 1998.01.31:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/snot/1998/bostons-tempe-az-7bcdf6c4.html

1998.01.31 Tempe, AZ, Boston's (Opening for Snot)

We have a different show on this date in our guide, but it isn't really a contradiction, because it wasn't unusual for local bands to play two and even three shows in a day. We already have such shows for both SDAHF and Grey Daze in the guide.

Also, new full video recording of a 1996 Grey Daze show coming soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I just posted this through Grey Daze's Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/realgreydaze/posts/2014130058818699

It's not likely we'll ever be able to find out the exact date, so we'll add it to the guide as:

1996.xx.xx Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, Warner Bros Private Showcase

My personal guess is that it was sometime in December of 1996, because during the show Chester mentions that their new album is going to be released sometime in January and, as far as we know, the band started working on it around December 3rd, 1996.

• 1 month later...

Chester with an unidentified person. Perhaps, his friend Jason that he played with before SDAHF?:

attachicon.gifChesterUnknown.png

It's actually a friend of Chester named Mandel. He posted that photo on his Facebook in June, 2010 saying:

"That's when we wrote that song we were gonna do at the talent show in 94, but we pulled out of it cause Mr. Akers pissed me off over you girls and your slutty dance routine! :) haha- we should have still did the song though. It was called 'Fade Away', I still remember it."

Also, a better copy of the pic:

Mandel.png

Posted by Sean Dowdell a few days ago:

GDCoasters.jpg

"This pic was posted by a fan yesterday. It reminds me of good times. Also in this pic is a man named Jacob Dowdell who passed away on this day Dec 22, a few years ago. I miss several people in this picture @therealgreydaze when we played a show at Castles and Coasters with @jimmyeatworld #greydaze #greydazereunion #greydazetour #ripchester #ripjacob #ripbobby #ripjosh"

I have this show in the first post. The date is still unknown, but, I think, it's from 1997.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the stuff I knew for some time, but didn't post yet.

Lyrics posted by Sean Dowdell on his Facebook:

"I was going through a bunch of stuff at the house and came across some of our first record deal contracts and publishing deals, but one of the cooler items was a bunch of lyrics to our songs that Chester had written down for one of our production sessions in the studio. This particular song was called #whatsintheeye and was quite popular with our fans"

a.png

"Going through some stuff today and found a book of lyrics chester had written down durin a pre production studio session we had"

b.pngс.png

Chris Goad of Sean Dowdell & His Friends? commented:
"Starting to Fly and Wake Me. I remember doing those with SD and his Friends"

We knew about the "Wake Me" being a SDAHF song originally, but the same about "Starting To Fly" is a new info for us.

******************************************************************************************************************

Sean Spurr of Genocide (the band Chris Goad and Jason Cekoric were in at the same time with SDAHF) paying his tribute to Chester and telling his own take on the story of his bandmates playing for two bands at the same time:

"R.I.P. Chester.. heres my story: I'm guessing the year was 1991-2? My band at the time genocide went to audition Sean Dowdell for our open drummer spot. We ran through some covers, I can remember suicidal and Alice In Chains but I think there was more. Well all the sudden 1/2 my band quit to join him Jason Cekoric Chris Goad.. this band would become sd and his friends... not gonna lie, I was pretty fucking pissed about the whole situation, especially when i heard they had a 14 year old singer... a couple months later they moved into the rehearsal studio next door as I had regrouped and was forming what would later be the band structure. I heard Chester for the first time and immediately got it. This kid made me look like a bad drunk karaoke singer. He was so good at like 14. I said that guys gonna make it, and of course he did.. very sad situation , I don't really understand what could have drove him to this.. the only times I ever feel low always have to do tight financial situation which obviously were not his problem... fly with the angels brother, I don't get it, bit then again I've never walked a mile in your shoes".

Someone corrected him in the comments, because he was confused about the year it happened - 1991 or 1992:
"It was '92 Sean"

Posted by Sean Dowdell a few days ago:

attachicon.gifGDCoasters.jpg

"This pic was posted by a fan yesterday. It reminds me of good times. Also in this pic is a man named Jacob Dowdell who passed away on this day Dec 22, a few years ago. I miss several people in this picture @therealgreydaze when we played a show at Castles and Coasters with @jimmyeatworld #greydaze #greydazereunion #greydazetour #ripchester #ripjacob #ripbobby #ripjosh"

I have this show in the first post. The date is still unknown, but, I think, it's from 1997.

I recently talked with a member of the band Chindo Squad named Chris Braegger and, according to him, Chindo Squad also played a show with Grey Daze in Castles N' Coasters once.

"I don't remember much about it at all, other than it was sponsored by a radio station who was broadcasting from the venue at certain points. Grey Daze wanted to play before us for some reason, which was odd since they generally had bigger crowds that we (Chindo Squad) did. We played with them on several occasions and got to know some of the band pretty well. I remember that show being outside and pretty hot, so it was some time around summer."

Castles N' Coasters shows are confusing, but, thanks to a person named Jason Williams, one of the dates is now known:

1997.08.15 Phoenix, AZ, Castles N' Coasters

On July 22nd, Jason has made a post on his Facebook about Chester and recalled seeing him at some Battle Of The Bands show and at Castles N' Coasters on the birthday of Jason's childhood friend Judd who also tragically passed away some time ago. I asked him about the date of his birthday and, according to him and some of his friends, that day was August 15th, but he wasn't totally sure about the year. He then said: "I was 12 at the time, so it was 21 years ago on the 15th of August, I believe. I saw Grey Daze play at Electric Ballroom with Chronic Future a few months before that show".

The Chronic Future show happened on February 1st, 1997, so this Castles N' Coasters show was also in 1997.

Jason doesn't remember other bands playing that day, so it is unclear if this show is one of the four we know about or if all of them are really the same exact show.

A local AZ musician Mike Montoya remembering Chester and talking about Grey Daze/Mr. Pink show he saw in Big Fish Pub:

"I decided to wait a minute to say something about the loss of Chester Bennington. I remember being so blown away by his talents at big fish pub in Tempe, AZ. He sang my favorite dramarama song and just completely nailed it. I think that night was one of my first times seeing Robin Vining play with Mr. Pink.

My heart and prayers go out to Chester's family and friends. I wasn't close to him but just the fact that pretty close friends of mine were shows how connected we all are.

I really believe life is God's gift and yes sometimes it can feel "like a movie you want to leave early" ,but maybe someone got a crappy seat with the three day old sticky soda spill. Or maybe someone doesn't have anyone to sit with?

Anyhow, anyone feeling like this, feel free to contact me at anytime. God bless you and Chester!"

I'll add "Anything, Anything" and this quote to the show page:
http://lplive.net/shows/db/greydaze/19980220

https://www.spreaker.com/user/adontheradio/hot-mic-the-90s-alternative-rock-scene
AD Rowntree of a UK band Fat telling a story of how he first saw Chester performing with Grey Daze (the show is in the guide): "The guy was like the best frontman I'd ever seen. Just like freakin' ridiculous".

EDIT: Another, much deeper, one from the same person: https://z93hv.iheart.com/featured/a-d/content/2017-07-24-goodnight-chester/

I have no idea why, but this Italian fansite says Grey Daze covered "Children Of The Grave" by Black Sabbath. I asked Sean if it's true:

Me: Hello. Sean, do you remember if you ever performed "Children Of The Grave" by Black Sabbath with Grey Daze? I'm asking because I saw a mention of the band doing this song on some Italian LP fansite. It's the only place it was ever mentioned, so I'm wondering if it's some kind of a mistake or you or Mace did mention the band covering this song to some Italian fan. Definitely the first time I hear about it, though. Speaking of covers, can you name all of the covers you definitely remember doing with both SDAHF and Grey Daze aside from "Anything, Anything" by Dramarama, "Start Me Up" by The Rolling Stones and "Circles" by Big Head Todd & The Monsters? Thank you.

Sean: Not that I can remember ever actually.
we covered in the early early days
Alice in Chains "Would"
The Cult "Rain"
Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

and a bunch more that I can't recall

As we know, Grey Daze also covered Stone Temple Pilots ("Interstate Love Song", "Vasoline" and "Big Empty"), The Beatles, Toad The Wet Sprocket, The Pixies, Pearl Jam, Candlebox, Live and Tool ("Sober"). SD & His Friends? also covered The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated", according to Rob Rogers.

• 1 month later...

Do we have a full Grey Daze show in SBD quality? I know we have that unreleased song Forever in SBD quality, as well as some other individual rips of SBD songs. But do we have a full SBD quality show? I'd like to burn a Grey Daze show to play on my CD player but the full shows that I have found on YouTube are low quality.

Do we have a full Grey Daze show in SBD quality? I know we have that unreleased song Forever in SBD quality, as well as some other individual rips of SBD songs. But do we have a full SBD quality show? I'd like to burn a Grey Daze show to play on my CD player but the full shows that I have found on YouTube are low quality.

Not yet, but I'll release it soon.

Photos courtesy of Sean Dowdell and Malaika Juliet Stuart:

Castles N' Coasters show (one of the pics was posted before in a higher quality, but this version has a wider view)

Castles0.jpgCastles1.jpgCastles2.jpgCastles3.jpg

Whisky A Go Go show:

Whisky2.jpgWhisky3.jpgWhisky1.jpg

Unspecified house party (the band performed at it, according to Sean):

HouseParty.jpg

Since we now have so much Grey Daze shows that are confirmed by ads and flyers in the guide, I'd like to minimize usage of shows that don't have an exact date. There's no reason to have some of them listed anymore. The first post of this thread is good enough for some of the information. I'd also like to add a page for one of the recordings I released along with Grey Daze Story and make some other corrections. Here's the full list of changes I'd like to make:

• Change dates for Whisky A Go Go and Coconut Teaszer shows from xxxx.xx.xx to 1998.xx.xx.
  • Remove 1992.xx.xx Silver Dollar show from "Sean Dowdell & His Friends? shows".
  • Remove the show the band opened for Seven Mary Three. It's possible it was actually in Electric Ballroom, not Gibson's nightclub. I'll add it to the first post of this thread, until we'll find the exact place/date.
  • Add 1994.xx.xx Phoenix, AZ, McDowell Studios under "Gray Daze shows". We have a recording of the band doing "Come On", "Smoke Mouth", "Painted" and "Wake Me" at their rehearsal space. We''ll never find out the exact date, but there's no reason not to have it in the guide, since we have a recording, know the exact place, year and lineup (Chester, Sean, Jonathan and Steve, confirmed by Chester on the recording).

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet, but I'll release it soon.

Posted the full video of that show on the band's YouTube/Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/realgreydaze/posts/2081032122128492

One more show and I'll post all of the videos as downloads on LPLive. I'll also include mp3's.

Posted the full video of that show on the band's YouTube/Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/realgreydaze/posts/2081032122128492

One more show and I'll post all of the videos as downloads on LPLive. I'll also include mp3's.

Fuck yeah Lestat, I love anything to do with GD and litterally can't wait. Here's to many more exclusives in the future :) Edited by danacky