"Sorry For Now" Demo Lyrics

hahninator

We've been asking, and Mike has obliged!

When he debuted Sorry For Now at Identity LA in May, he rapped Chester's verse over the bridge. However, the next two performances in New York City and then Hong Kong had a special treat - the demo verse from the song. It was a hit with fans, with the NYC video racking up over 17,000 views already.

The song now has a Dan Mayo drum solo over the bridge but it's possible we see a rotation of the drum solo and the verse, or maybe both. The show is changing every night so there are a lot of things that can happen.

Mike posted the lyrics to his Instagram story this morning before the Chengdu, China show. We have added them to the Sorry For Now Linkinpedia page.

"You have gotta be kidding / It's a hobby we're living

We were sloppily spitting to some wobbly rhythm
Popping off in the kitchen at parties, properly hidden
I was probably nervous but still got up to get em
Jacket possibly referencing some army division in
Camouflage like images all my idols were in and
I was not with the kids that my mom had strongly forbidden
So I was skipping out stealing car audio with em
Good kid, lived in a bubble and barely knew it
Lucky if I could recognize trouble to get into it
Trying to find like-minded rhymers to make a crew with
But nobody liked the same type of music
I'm used it
Facing some opportunities I didn't know what to do with
Sitting there on the sofa with smokers gamers and losers
Knowing I'm not stupid but too unsteady to prove it
Maybe I'm running to it but maybe already blew it"

Speaking of demo verse, we thought it'd be appropriate to mention the one time Mike accidentally rapped a demo verse live. At the Tampa, Florida 2014 Carnivores Tour stop, he went into alternate lyrics for Wastelands. When we asked him, he said these were demo lyrics, which you can view on the show page.
Thanks Mike!

Definitely a few typos and mistakes in his post lol, but they come directly from him so I guess they are official regardless. Really cool that he directly shouted out LPL to provide the lyrics.

Edited by Justin

Am I the only one who thinks that this demo verse sucks balls? Lyrics sound cheesy and the flow is awkward.

Yea you're the only one I've heard of. First, there's a reason it's a demo verse and didn't make the studio cut.

I don't know what you consider cheesy about it, I guess that's opinion. I like him telling a story of coming up as a teen. Yea it's not your standard hip hop teenager story but Mike wasn't the standard and that's exactly what you'd expect. You're not going to say "damn why is pusha t rapping about selling drugs? That was cheesy" because you know where he came from and what he knows - there's an expectation there and Mike delivered IMO

If you want to talk about flow, this is his first time spitting live so I think it's safe to say he didn't nail every lyric 100%. If you compare the live performance to the lyrics Mike posted himself, you'll know he didn't nail it 100%. That's what a live performance is.

Still he spit 8 bars with a recurring 5 syllable rhyme scheme he hit about 12 times, it completely fits the track and Mike doesn't rap off the beat at all. No way I'll think it's awkward

• 7 months later...
On 3/27/2019 at 8:00 PM, GarretLP said:

What is the highest quality available for this demo verse? Like minimal crowd noise and clear sound? Can someone help me out?

Considering its only been performed once in June 20, 2018 I doubt there is a good quality version of it, i mean there are a few videos on youtube none of witch has good quality. Im sure if Mike performs it some more times, higher quality videos will appear. Then some people will "remix" the demo verse with the original song which will provide an even better outcome since they will remove the noise and everything. Its been done before for lots of LP songs by certain people on Youtube so im sure it will happen again if they get their hands in a better quality audio of the verse. But for now your best shot are some youtube videos of that one show which to be honest arent of great quality.

10 hours ago, JZE said:

The real question is.. How many times he performed Chester's verse? 

Just once, Identity LA. My favorite performance of it. 

14 hours ago, SerioDrew said:

Considering its only been performed once in June 20, 2018 I doubt there is a good quality version of it, i mean there are a few videos on youtube none of witch has good quality. Im sure if Mike performs it some more times, higher quality videos will appear. Then some people will "remix" the demo verse with the original song which will provide an even better outcome since they will remove the noise and everything. Its been done before for lots of LP songs by certain people on Youtube so im sure it will happen again if they get their hands in a better quality audio of the verse. But for now your best shot are some youtube videos of that one show which to be honest arent of great quality.

He performed it in China and in Vienna and probably more times that I don't know about. I guess the Vienna video on YouTube might be the best sounding of it. I wish he did it once pro-shot.

12 hours ago, GarretLP said:

He performed it in China and in Vienna and probably more times that I don't know about. I guess the Vienna video on YouTube might be the best sounding of it. I wish he did it once pro-shot.

5 hours ago, SasstielExperience said:

The demo verse was done 4 times off the top of my head. New York, Hong Kong, Vienna, and Silver Spring as part of Lift Off.

Oh yeah it makes sense, didnt think of the Sorry For Now/Lift Off version, you guys are right.

Edited by SerioDrew