Mike Shares More LP7 Details In Kerrang Interview

RogueSoul

News has been pretty slow as 2016 winds down, but we have a little more new information from Mike Shinoda himself! A recent interview with Kerrang! magazine has revealed some more details about the band's upcoming record.

The interview asked nine main questions; here's a summary of what was said in the interview:

Q: What stage are you at with the new record?

M: "We're at the stage where all the fans are saying, 'For crying out loud, guys, why the hell is this album taking so long?!' We're mixing right now, but taking our time to get it right... It won't be this month, but we're getting close!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Has it been a comfortable and collaborative process?

M: "Collaborative? Yes. Comfortable? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It’s turning out to be a really personal album. Usually, we make the music and see what it inspires [lyrically], but this is the first time we started each song with concept and lyrics...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: You reinvent yourselves going into pretty much every record. Has that been the case this time?

M: "It’s important to make sure all six of us are inspired each time we write new music – and that usually means finding new things to learn or explore... Having a concept and vocal first meant turning our songwriting process backwards, which was really fun."

Q: Where have you been working, and who with?

M: "We’ve been writing and recording mostly in LA, but we had a few sessions in London and Canada, too... This time we’re producing it ourselves... We also worked with some new people, including Andrew Dawson, Eg White, Justin Parker, RAC, Blackbear, and Corin Roddick... In the most basic terms, a guest might come in once or twice a week, and they would kinda just merge in with whatever we were making...

Q: Can you tell us about the direction it's taken?

M: "Each one of our albums is like its own little art gallery exhibition, with its own theme and style, and sometimes one is nothing like any of the others. I think that’s the kind of album we made."

Q: And lyrically, where are you coming from?

M: “Fans often tell me our best lyrics are ones where we say the things they wanted to say, but never had the words. I hope they find those kind of lyrics in this album."

Q: Have you been influenced by the political shitstorm that has been raging all year, or have you tried to stay away from that?

M: “The lyrics of this album were written mostly before the U.S. election concluded. But there is a connection, in terms of an emotional reaction to things that are out of your control... I think that sentiment is present in the lyrics, even though the album is not at all political.”

Q: Does it have a title yet?

M: “It’s really hard for us to agree on titles. We’ve been working on this album for over 12 months, and we still don’t have a name for the damn thing!”

Q: Do you have big plans for the rest of 2017?

M: "We have some shows coming up in Europe, other dates are constantly being announced, and of course there’ll be the surprises when we kick off the next album cycle.... The community around the band gets really vibrant and excited around the release of new music. And that time is almost here!"

There you have it! Be sure you check out the full interview in Kerrang! magazine. To read up on everything we know about the next record, check out our page on Linkinpedia. The album is expected sometime in the spring or summer of 2017, so stay tuned for more information regarding it here. Follow us on Twitter and check out our Facebook page to stay updated.

Happy holidays and a happy new year from LPLive!

So this interview took place like one month ago? 'cause he mention Europe like if it was the start of the tour.

Yeah, you're probably right. Usually for a print interview like this one, it would have been a month or so ago, maybe more. I think January will be the first taste of new music with a single, this kind of confirms it now. And album probably March or April, with a huge summer tour across the globe, etc. Seems much more easier to figure out a time frame now.

Literally, the same stuff Mike's been saying for months now.

There is a lot of new info. For one, we didn't know the band recorded in Canada for this album. We had known of London in September 2015 and obviously Los Angeles, but not Canada. We also learned of a few new collaborators on the album, as well as the fact that the band is producing the album themselves again like they did with THP. And Mike also said that it's almost here, noting the new music. So I think this is basically the end of the wait, with a single coming soon.

There is a lot of new info. For one, we didn't know the band recorded in Canada for this album. We had known of London in September 2015 and obviously Los Angeles, but not Canada. We also learned of a few new collaborators on the album, as well as the fact that the band is producing the album themselves again like they did with THP. And Mike also said that it's almost here, noting the new music. So I think this is basically the end of the wait, with a single coming soon.

Sorry man, but none of that is all that interesting.

we didn't know the band recorded in Canada for this album.

I'm 99% sure that they recorded there with Corin Roddick and that's huge news to me I fucking love Purity Ring and to have Corin producing a song for my favorite band is so great, you may remember that I've been saying that the new album will sound similar to Purity Ring seems like atleast one song will accomplish that.

Q: Where have you been working, and who with?

M: "We’ve been writing and recording mostly in LA, but we had a few sessions in London and Canada, too... This time we’re producing it ourselves... We also worked with some new people, including Andrew Dawson, Eg White, Justin Parker, RAC, Blackbear, and Corin Roddick... In the most basic terms, a guest might come in once or twice a week, and they would kinda just merge in with whatever we were making...

Which Adrew Dawson do they mean? There are two musicians named Adrew Dawson on YT, one of them plays acoustical stuff and the other makes electronic music, and none of them is particurally known.

The first three artists seem to not be popular at all, wonder how they got in studio with LP. Corin Roddick is a member of Purity Ring, which is semi popular, and is the only artist that I seem to enjoy of those.

Kinda off topic, but is it only me or is it strange that LP never collaborated with any female vocalist or musician (not enitrely sure if they never collaborated with any female musician, but can't recall any)?

Which Adrew Dawson do they mean? There are two musicians named Adrew Dawson on YT, one of them plays acoustical stuff and the other makes electronic music, and none of them is particurally known.

The first three artists seem to not be popular at all, wonder how they got in studio with LP. Corin Roddick is a member of Purity Ring, which is semi popular, and is the only artist that I seem to enjoy of those.

Most of the collaborators on the album are songwriters/producers who have worked with big names. Very few release music by themselves.

Kinda off topic, but is it only me or is it strange that LP never collaborated with any female vocalist or musician (not enitrely sure if they never collaborated with any female musician, but can't recall any)?

Kelli Ali of Sneaker Pimps on Reanimation.

Emily Wright on the new album.

They have asked Elizabeth Fraser of Cocteau Twins and Björk to work with them in the past, but it didn't work out.

I don't expect any new single before late February or early March. :unsure: They need a big promotion for their new album. Do you remember they previous album releases? Social media sites of course, but nothing else? Shoot a great music video for the single, but choose wisely! The first single means everything for a regular listener. Don't get me wrong, I just have much expectations for the new album. :D A dream would come true if there will be an iTunes exclusive or a bonus version with "Making of" video or any bonus tracks.

Edited by Liontor

Kelli Ali on Reanimation

Most of the collaborators on the album are songwriters/producers who have worked with big names. Very few release music by themselves.

Kelli Ali of Sneaker Pimps on Reanimation.

Emily Wright on the new album.

They have asked Elizabeth Fraser of Cocteau Twins and Björk to work with them in the past, but it didn't work out.

Totally forgot about Keli Ali, thanks guys.

Would you like to tell me when did they say they are going to work with Emily Wright on the new album?

I don't expect any new single before late February or early March. :unsure: They need a big promotion for their new album. Do you remember they previous album releases? Social media sites of course, but nothing else? Shoot a great music video for the single, but choose wisely! The first single means everything for a regular listener. Don't get me wrong, I just have much expectations for the new album. :D A dream would come true if there will be an iTunes exclusive or a bonus version with "Making of" video or any bonus tracks.

What they need to do, IMO, is announce the single weeks before it comes out to get people hyped. Then have a good music video for it, not like that Project Spark shit for GATS. Promote the fuck out of the single everywhere; all social media, etc. Then announce a huge tour, including most places around the globe, and the U.S. with a huge big name support act. Don't give out too many singles before the album drops like they did with THP, I hated that. And hype the album up huge, then drop the album.

What they need to do, IMO, is announce the single weeks before it comes out to get people hyped. Then have a good music video for it, not like that Project Spark shit for GATS. Promote the fuck out of the single everywhere; all social media, etc. Then announce a huge tour, including most places around the globe, and the U.S. with a huge big name support act. Don't give out too many singles before the album drops like they did with THP, I hated that. And hype the album up huge, then drop the album.

yes indeed! they need to create more hype and attention, so that the release will have more impact.

I think Mike even said in the LPA Podcast from December 2015 that the band felt unhappy with the whole Project Spark thing for GATS. The band knows that it messed up the album. Like Liontor said, the first single is extremely important, it's probably the most important part of the entire album cycle for casual listeners and stuff, as well as hardcore fans too, in a way.

The band will probably want to do a proper release this time around for it, like they did with BID, for example. With GATS, they randomly posted one night saying to play COG on Shazam and you could hear the song. And then the Project Spark music video was pure shit. Then there was a long gap until UIG came out, etc. The band wanted to have GATS as the first single and Mike also said in the LPA Podcast from December 2015 that the label wanted them to come out with Final Masquerade, but the band didn't want to. But even with GATS as the first single, it could have been promoted much better than it was. BID was perfect, to me. It was a huge single and it helped LT hit number one. It was everywhere in 2012, I remember hearing it everywhere, even people that I never thought would like LP were playing it. The music video was huge for it, it was even used for the NBA. And then they announced HCT right after it and that was the band's highest selling tour of all time in the U.S., so.... I remember the band posted a video that said ''Check out our new single Burn It Down, coming xx.xx.xxxx.'' or something (I forgot the date). That built a lot of hype, that's what they need to do this time. For a big mainstream band like LP, they can't do what indie bands and indie artists do by releasing music for free or unexpectedly. They should do it the old fashioned way, because that's what works for LP.

Would you like to tell me when did they say they are going to work with Emily Wright on the new album?

http://lplive.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12436

Just ignore the part that says she's a singer. She's another songwriter/producer.

This is also where they first mentioned Eg White, but that's not on the post for some reason.

I would pay a bad amount of money for them to mix and master their albums better

Their albums mixes are awful, too much compression and a lack of low ends :/. You can find better mastered versions on the internet, for example all of their discography on Itunes is slighty less compressed and with more bass.

Mike did this a while ago I guess, because of no mention of South America. They've been mixing for a month, with no news or even any pics of the producer like they did with Andy Wallace in 2014. I'm not sure where they're at or what the time frame is.

I hope we get an announcement or some news soon. They are always so quiet during the process.