Unlisted Grey Daze Shows / Notes

LESTAT

lol, true.

So, as I reported a few pages back, before being the shop, Club Tattoo was a regular convention type of show in Electric Ballroom dedicated to tattoos. That's what Mace was talking about, when he mentioned himself putting on conventions in the Ballroom in Grey Daze Story.

I found out there was also a related monthly event called Club Sex that was also dedicated to tattoos and piercing, but according to Mace, was like a "swinger night" that featured such vendors like adult book stores, wet t-shirt contest, etc.

Club Sex on Tuesday, 14th, Club Tattoo on Tuesday, 28th:
musicvoicemagazine-feb1995.jpg

It also turned out that Grey Daze performed on the very first Club Sex and their performance was filmed by a person supposedly named Dene from a local video production company. It doesn't look like it's possible to find and obtain the tape as of right now. If it was indeed the very first Club Sex as my two different sources suggest, then the show took place sometime between late-1994 - early-1995. Added the show to the first post.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that someone created the Chronic Future/Grey Daze 1999.02.01 show on setlist.fm and called the event "Best Of Triple Xposure".
We actually have this show in our guide (Chronic Future, Grey Daze, Still, Lemon Krayola, Dislocated Styles, Zack Phillips Band, Honey Bucket, Necessary Enemy), but I didn't know it has anything to do with "Triple Exposure". It is KEDJ-FM's (also titled "The Edge") radio program from that time dedicated to local AZ bands. Sean Dowdell was allegedly involved with it for some period. I contacted the user who listed it and it turned out he's a friend of Nedra Gunn - the person I spoke with about Fat/Grey Daze/Chindo Squad show not so long ago.

Greg: "So yeah this was a very long time ago. So one of our local radio stations used to host this event every week, I think, that was dubbed Triple Xposure, where they would showcase 3 local bands that they played on the radio or their local music program. So it might be a unofficial name for the event. My buddy and I went to see Chronic Future based on the fact he went to school with them. They were the headliner of the night and Grey Daze played right before them on the "main stage". It was a local bar/music club not that big of a venue. Had a main concert room, a room with a cigarette vending machine with a few pool tables, and another room where the bar area was with a small stage. The only reason I remembered Grey Daze was due to the fact, later, Chester fronted Linkin Park and my buddy informed me of it. As a matter of fact I used to have a squeeze water bottle of theirs that he gave me because his mic stand kept falling and my buddy and I kept picking it up and setting it up right. It was pretty cool it was like a bicycle water bottle that had their logo and their picture on it. I am assuming you want to know more about Grey Daze, so all I can remember was they did have a local support at the show I would say roughly 30 people were there specifically for them. Chester sported dread locks and they played a song titled B52 which I believed was about some kind of addiction, he briefly talked about it. Their guitar player who was I believe blonde and had long hair was pretty good. But that's my only real recollection of that band".

Greg also attended that Fat show with Nedra, so he was very kind to share his ticket stubs for both of the shows!
Attached them to this message.

P.S. The program's title was printed as "Triple Xposure" on the ticket for some reason, but, as far, as I know, it is actually "Exposure".

GDStub 1997.02.01.jpg

GDStub 1997.08.23.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A gentleman named Andy Rodriguez, who I believe is a member of our forums, is going to release the first edition of his YouTube series called "Epitafios" on his channel sometime in coming months. The first episode is dedicated to Grey Daze. He created it using my "Grey Daze Story" and was also able to conduct a video interview with Mace Beyers. Here's a screenshot from the yet to be fully finished episode:

16174592_1401055139928463_69753123226068

Good luck!

The following flyer ticket was posted by a band called Able Cain back in 2014 on their Facebook page.

1394198_815354951830160_4674197350189170081_n.jpg

The band's comment:
I believe this was the show we shared with Grey Daze, whose singer, Chester Bennington, went on to do Linkin Park.

It means:

1995.09.28 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, Opening for Able Cain

Thanks to my new friend from Phoenix (bassist from now-defunct local band Boodaloo), I'm now a happy owner of four actual issues of "The Alternative News" magazine from 1993. There's some major Sean Dowdell And His Friends stuff: full-page ads featuring a new (and BIG) photo of the band, demo tape review, announcements and, of course, a ton of new live dates for the guide.

All to be featured in my upcoming article.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We've added 8 new SDAHF dates to the guide from our new article:

• 1993.03.19 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (w/ Plasterfish)
  • 1993.03.28 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (w/ Nuclear Assault) (5:00 PM show)
  • 1993.03.28 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (w/ Nuclear Assault) (8:30 PM show)
  • 1993.05.02 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (7:00 PM show)
  • 1993.05.02 Phoenix, AZ, Library Cafe (9:30 PM show)
  • 1993.05.15 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (w/ Plasterfish)
  • 1993.05.16 Mesa, AZ, Hollywood Alley
  • 1993.05.31 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar, Mosh Pit Monday (w/ Attitude John)

We now have 99 shows in SDAHF/Grey Daze section. Should reach 100 shortly.

Also added some shows to the first post based on this part of the article:

"During its existence, the band has opened for not only numerous local bands (like Lemon Krayola, also managed by Rob), but also a number of popular bands like Saigon Kick, Napalm Death, Nuclear Assault and others, played a lot of shows in clubs such as Mason Jar, Edsel's Attic, Club Rio, Library Cafe, has graced several different fraternity parties, warehouse parties, private parties, another Chester's high schools talent show (Chester didn't graduate until mid-1994) and also reportedly even managed to play a side stage at Desert Sky Pavilion once".

• 1 month later...

New shows:

1995.01.13 Mesa, AZ, Nile Theater (Opening for Death Takes A Holiday)

1995.01.16 Scottsdale, AZ, Atomic Cafe (w/ Milky Fly)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/realgreydaze

Not sure why the band's name was spelled as Gray Daze on all of the ads (it's been almost a year since the band changed the spelling to "Grey" at that point).

The pic should be added to 1995.01.11 page as well. The one that's already on the page says "Grey", btw.
Also, a better picture of one of the previously posted photos.

1995.01.jpg

Photo.jpg