LPU XIV Is Here!

Skipees

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the disk come with a booklet with song notes? Like info on the tracks

The digital booklet is just several pages of James Jean artwork. No song notes, no credits, nothing. Song titles aren't even listed on it anywhere.

I wonder, didn't Joe say the band went through a big batch of old demos when they were deciding what to use on the Mall soundtrack? Maybe some of the songs they didn't end up using for the movie ended up on LPU XIV.

*Edit* Giving things another listen, and I can't believe nobody's pointed this out - Malathion has no bass whatsoever in it. Weird.

Edited by Astat

I think After Canada is really from the December 2005 sessions. Just because it doesn't have screaming and isn't all that heavy like Chester was referring to for the music they were working on at that point doesn't mean it can't be from that time frame. 2005 as a whole is an incredibly grey area for the band in many ways. We got 2 shows that year and the rest is really unknown as far as Linkin Park goes in 2005 besides the feud with Warner.

Edited by Geki

Korn studio too. Laurel and Houdini are the same thing right? So funny they went to NRG again after Rubin's haha. Valentine's Day came from the Korn studio.

I hope we get commentary from Mike on this. I'm going to ask him to write some stuff up we don't. 2005 is an extremely gray area.

Korn studio too. Laurel and Houdini are the same thing right? So funny they went to NRG again after Rubin's haha. Valentine's Day came from the Korn studio.

I hope we get commentary from Mike on this. I'm going to ask him to write some stuff up we don't. 2005 is an extremely gray area.

Wow, I totally didn't notice that I wrote that. Lol. Yeah, Laurel Studio and the Houdini Mansion are the same thing. I forgot about the Korn studio, that's cool that Valentine's Day came from there, it's one of my favorite songs off of Minutes To Midnight.

Don't forget that the band also was in the studio back home in the US in March, April, May and June of 2008, I remember Mike posting about that on his blog with pictures, etc. Maybe stuff like ''Blanka'' could have originated from that time period, as well as Malathion, which is when I think they originated from.

http://mikeshinoda.com/2008/12/07/in-studio-june-2008-flashback/

Edited by Geki

In the second link Mike talks about a midi pad where they scratch the things you played in the keyboard, I think that's how Blackout was made

Also, holy shit I had never seen the tracking board in that pic, they had at least 24 potential songs by June 2008, for inclusion in ATS

I know that it's obvious to assume that ''After Canada'' probably is a leftover VMA 2005 thing from Mike, but I really don't think it is. It does not sound like any of those and I don't think it was a leftover Fort Minor beat like ''Basquiat'' was, Mike stated that in the LPU13 booklet. It sounds like something that maybe Brad or someone else from the band were working on with Mike. It doesn't sound at all complete. I know that Chester's roughest year was 2005, as he has stated many times, but that doesn't mean that Mike and LP weren't messing around making LP music hear and there. In a December 2005 chat from the LPU, Chester even stated that he had been working on new music with Mike at that time. I was also reading the LPU12 booklet the other day and I noticed that Brad stated that they worked on ''so many different studios'' during the creation of Minutes To Midnight. We know of the Laurel Studio, The Houdini Mansion, NRG and Mike's home studio, but maybe the band was working on music in 2005 at an unknown place? 2005 is a big gray area for many LP fans because we literally know nothing about that year in general.

Where the hell do you keep getting that Basquiat had anything to do with Fort Minor? The quote in the LPU XIII booklet is "This was a track I originally started just after I finished the Fort Minor album." Fort Minor was done already when Basquiat was started, it was intended to be a Linkin Park demo and nothing else.

Edited by Astat

Shit! 24 legit demos at that point in time. That's crazy.

Do you mean this for Blackout?

2005 needs more information. Mike sending demos from the Fort Minor tour is one thing, but like I said I think After Canada has Rob and Brad on it. I don't think the band got together in a studio until 2006's Korn Studio but I might be wrong.

Shit! 24 legit demos at that point in time. That's crazy.

Do you mean this for Blackout?

2005 needs more information. Mike sending demos from the Fort Minor tour is one thing, but like I said I think After Canada has Rob and Brad on it. I don't think the band got together in a studio until 2006's Korn Studio but I might be wrong.

The drums on After Canada may be programmed, I'm not totally sure. A lot of the demos on this CD have "iffy" drums. Definitely sounds like Brad's work with some of the guitar stuff though. Mike/Brad is the most common songwriting duo LP has (at least in terms of the creation of early demos, once vocals come into play it's primarily Mike/Chester), so they were probably getting together at Mike's house and working on stuff a lot while the band wasn't touring.

Great CD! I do like instrumental music in general so I don't have any problems regarding the lack of lyrics. I'm just thankful that they give us all these demos. I don't think that's something you should take for granted.

My favourite is probably Rhinocerous. They wrote some great tracks in 2002/2003 (like Cumulus, Soundtrack, ....). It's also cool to hear Mike singing on BTH.

Very pleased with what we got since LPU9

Back at the meet & greet in Charlotte I got to talk to Mike for a second and asked him about the the Take Away My Pride demo. He literally said "I have no idea what you're talking about" but he had a grin and I mentioned it being on the DVD. He also said "we're not really sitting on as many demos as people seem to think". I figure he means vocal or completed tracks.

Just some things to think about I guess. Any new music is good music imo and it's interesting to see how far BTH has come

Finally listened to the CD. Like many people, I didn't find anything particularly exciting except for the BTH demo which was a good surprise. It's always a good thing to listen to the stuff they come up with even if they don't make them full songs. In a lot of songs I feel like it's just Mike playing guitar over programmed drums.

Anyway, I'm not going to complain this time because it's pretty cool that they still give us demos even if they're instrumentals. Let's hope they will continue doing so for a while.

I'm a bit disappointed about this album, it's not bad, but it's worst LPU album since LPU5, in my opinion. There was only 3 songs that I liked pretty much, Aubrey One, BTH demo and Rhinocerous, which is my favorite off the album. The rest was just some heavy songs that wasn't very attractive for me. What disappointed me the most was that there wasn't any song with Chester's vocal. I got pretty surprised that 2008 and 2009 demos was pretty guitar driven tracks. DaveSBeat feat. Joe made me wonder what is it and who's singing, I guess that may be some LPU8 style thing, that was simply just an improvised jam.