Suggestions for next touring cycle

hahninator

What do you think the band should do for the next touring cycle? Some good ideas to change the show up, etc.

I'll start.

1. Stop closing with Bleed It Out. It's run its course from 2007-now closing most shows.

2. Keep playing A Line In The Sand. With GATS likely to not return, ALITS is a good song to keep from THP. It didn't get played a lot on the last world tour, being debuted late in the cycle.

3. Play the full version of Lost In The Echo. Pretty solid live song.

4. Bring back When They Come For Me. It was A+ on Honda Civic Tour, I never understood why it never came back after that....except for Las Vegas 2014. Nice one-off performance.

5. Bring back No More Sorrow. Give Chester a break from Given Up and play a fan favorite....NMS.

6. Drop Ballad Medley, New Divide, Crawling, both Mike/Joe Solo. Some songs Chester sounds great on...some not so much. Nothing wrong with dropping New Divide and Crawling when you have so many other singles to play. Ballad Medley has run its course. Play a full song there, even LOATR or PMA studio or something.

Here would be my top 5 suggestions, IMO:

01. Keep ALITS. Great live song, it sounds good live and is definitely a fan favorite as of now. It totally encapsulates what THP was, IMO. Also, a lot of fans didn't get the chance to see it live, because it was only played from May of 2015 until November of 2015, so more than half of the touring cycle didn't get a chance to see it, even though Phoenix was talking about playing it live as far back as Europe 2014.

02. Drop New Divide. I liked New Divide at first, back in 2009, and even in 2010, maybe even 2011, but it should have went away after the ATS touring cycle was over, IMO. Chester really has trouble singing it nowadays, even though there's nothing wrong with that because he is a great singer still and it's a challenging song, but it just doesn't sound that good live anymore. It's also just kind of boring to me now. It takes up a 5 min slot in the set, and I can think of songs I'd rather see played live over it, including new songs from the new album.

03. Drop the Ballad Medley. Again, I liked it at first in 2012 and even in 2013, but it should have went away after the LT cycle was over, IMO. It doesn't sound bad live, and I think the band might actually like playing it still, but it's just grating to me at this point. It takes up a 7 minute slot in the set and is just kind of boring to me. I wouldn't even mind if the studio version of LOATR or SOTD came back instead, because I kind of miss those. Or maybe a brand new piano version of SOTD entirely, that might be cool.

04. They need to get a solid ''opener'' to the set. I miss the days when they had those, like Don't Stay for the summer 2004 tour, for example, or the gunshot intro with OSC for the opener in the MTM cycle. The Requiem for the ATS cycle, etc. I don't like the rotating openers, and I don't like Papercut as a opener like they did in 2015, as much as I love Papercut, I'd rather see it in the middle of the set instead. Get a solid opener that defines the cycle.

05. Probably my biggest complaint about the last touring cycle, so I saved this one for last. GET RID OF THE SHORTENED SONGS. I hate it, always have. Play full songs. I hated that idea in 2014. 2015 didn't have as much shortened songs, so maybe they won't do the shortened songs thing again, but who knows. I miss when the band played full songs like they did on the albums and also the banter, etc, that's what made shows unique to me.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Rotate setlists, and use more than two setlists in the 'rotation'. Playing the same setlist over and over, with very minor changes between tours is very boring, something that LP proved during THP tour cycle.

2. Drop Castle Of Dance, Joe and Mike solos, they aren't particurally entataining. I would also suggest to drop or at least shorten In The End (especially ITE) and Numb, Chester's performance of these songs seem to be souless, as he doesn't seem to give much effort to sound good on them, and does a partial karaoke of these songs.

3. Don't put any pitch correction on Chester. Chester doesn't sound good with pitch corrected voice live.

4. Make the tour the way it is hyped/promoted, what I mean by that is don't promote a tour to be carnivorous and full of heavy songs, when the tour turns out to be herbivorous and mostly consisting of singles.

5. Make the tour somehow different from the previous, the THP tour cycle was very similar, with very minor changes in setlists between tours, very little new stuff was introduced on every new tour in that album cycle.

1. A little bit obvious, but the band should do some effort to play the majority of the songs from the new album. The last two were meant to "play live", but at same time were the ones which have less songs played. I know the majority of fans, unfortunately I guess, want the most HT singles/known songs possible, but diversity is a great thing, and LP have a lot of this in their discography. Also, rotate setlists can help too.

2. Not definitely, but a lot of shortened songs have to go. Was some kind of new in 2014, but now is boring, and is like a DJ setlist. The 2012 setlists were great, with some improvements such as Ballad Medley, UIB intro in Waiting for the End, but the band abuse of the shortened songs in 2014.

3. I would love a come back from GATS, but won't happen. So, keep at least with ALITS from THP.

4. Drop the least favorite songs in LPL (Ballad Medley, New Divide, the solos...). These songs aren't good to Chester sing live anymore, also doesn't bring attention from the crowd. Also, Crawling could be shortened to an acoustic version, as they did in Rio 2012, was something unexpected and good at same time. And do another unexpected things too, why not?

5. Bring back some live/energetic songs. Lost in the Echo full, No More Sorrow as a opener, When They Come for Me, A Place for My Head, even Blackout. Bring some energy to the shows.

Edited by kiq fLP

1. CHANGE UP THE SONG SELECTION. Not including stuff incorporated in medleys, mashups etc., the past two cycles have largely included the same few songs. It's getting old. The trend is 4-5 songs from the most recent album, half of Hybrid Theory, the Meteora singles, and the biggest hits from MTM on. Switch some out. Play No More Sorrow instead of Given Up at some shows.

2. PLAY THE ACTUAL ALBUM YOU'RE TOURING IN SUPPORT OF. On the LT cycle, 5/11 full songs weren't played, and on THP cycle, 5/10 full songs weren't played. I get it, they have songs they kind of need to play, but there are only a few songs that fall into that category. OSC, ITE, Faint, Numb, WID, ND, and BID. That's 7 songs out of 22-24 songs. Throw in 10 misc. tracks from the other albums, and you have room for 5-7 new songs in each set. You could easily fit 10-11 songs from the new album into 3 rotated sets.

3. Drop the shortened songs. It was annoying when it first started back in 2012 with Lying From You/Papercut, and it's annoying now. Some songs I understand shortening, but it got ridiculous on THP cycle. I mean, like 45 seconds of LITE was being played, only the chorus of Crawling was played and at a faster tempo for the first few shows, the BIGGEST SINGLE for THP, the album the band was supporting, was shortened. Some of the mashups/medleys are kind of cool, like Castle Experience and Mike's Solo back when he actually changed it up. The rest of the shortened songs and medleys can go. They waste time and just bring the energy down.

These are all awesome suggestions. I also think it was pretty disappointing that they didn't play much of THP or LT. I'm sick of all the old songs, especially HT. I wish they would play songs from the new albums, at least play songs when they're currently supporting said album. Only 5 songs from THP on Carnivores was strange to me, they should have played more than that... In 2015 on the actual Hunting Party Tour in the U.S., they were only doing 3 songs from the album, GATS, Wastelands and FM. Just wow.

Edited by Geki

Other than what everyone has been suggesting, here are mine:

Leave some wiggle room for a random song or two to be put in the setlist at the last minute, or even in the middle of the show. I know this wouldn't work for songs that haven't been played in a long time that the band doesn't keep the samples on hand for, but they can insert APFMH at random shows (Joe scratching basically stays the same), so maybe the more rock-centered ones can be put in - even take requests if they work.

Instead of arranging setlists on how well the gear changing flows, arrange it on how the energy changes. Nine Inch Nails has done a lot of tour sets with "slow sections" in the middle to give the band a break, even playing some instrumentals during that time. This would be better than alternating between heavy and soft songs.

Alternate the songs that are never dropped - make a few cycles of Numb, New Divide, Breaking The Habit, and other common songs.

Not very likely to happen (at least not regularly), but keep bringing out guests on shows. It can be members from the touring bands (Mike Einziger, Tim McIlrath, Aaron Lewis, Austin Carlisle, etc.) or a friend who's in the neighborhood like Jay-Z.

Anything to make every show special, even if the setlists are similar, would be an improvement.

Other than what everyone has been suggesting, here are mine:

Leave some wiggle room for a random song or two to be put in the setlist at the last minute, or even in the middle of the show. I know this wouldn't work for songs that haven't been played in a long time that the band doesn't keep the samples on hand for, but they can insert APFMH at random shows (Joe scratching basically stays the same), so maybe the more rock-centered ones can be put in - even take requests if they work.

Instead of arranging setlists on how well the gear changing flows, arrange it on how the energy changes. Nine Inch Nails has done a lot of tour sets with "slow sections" in the middle to give the band a break, even playing some instrumentals during that time. This would be better than alternating between heavy and soft songs.

Alternate the songs that are never dropped - make a few cycles of Numb, New Divide, Breaking The Habit, and other common songs.

Not very likely to happen (at least not regularly), but keep bringing out guests on shows. It can be members from the touring bands (Mike Einziger, Tim McIlrath, Aaron Lewis, Austin Carlisle, etc.) or a friend who's in the neighborhood like Jay-Z.

Anything to make every show special, even if the setlists are similar, would be an improvement.

I definitely love your point about bringing out guests on shows. I always loved that. It's awesome when they have someone from one of the touring bands come out because they can do it at so many shows per tour. Good examples are Bert on Faint, Jonathan on One Step Closer, Chris Cornell on Crawling, Mike Einziger on Bleed It Out, Tim on Bleed It Out and Austin on Faint, like you listed). I loved that shit. I wish Brandon of Incubus had come out for a song on HCT and Jared or Davey on Carnivores, but fuck it. I'm sure if the band had asked them they would have done it, though.