Proggy sound

SergSlim

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from Mike's Twitter...

a Sapporo and some Dark Side of the Moon...and Brad and I are ready to work on some music!

New Album = Sick

Edit: check this link http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp

A definition of Progressive Rock Music

Progressive rock (often shortened to prog or prog rock) is a form of rock music that evolved in the late 1960s and early 1970s as part of a "mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels of artistic credibility." The term "art rock" is often used interchangeably with "progressive rock", but while there are crossovers between the two genres, they are not identical.

Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus-based song structures. Additionally, the arrangements often incorporated elements drawn from classical, jazz, and world music. Instrumentals were common, while songs with lyrics were sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme."

Progressive rock developed from late 1960s psychedelic rock, as part of a wide-ranging tendency in rock music of this era to draw inspiration from ever more diverse influences. The term was applied to the music of bands such as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Soft Machine and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Progressive rock came into most widespread use around the mid-1970s. While progressive rock reached the peak of its popularity in the 1970s and early 1980s, neo-progressive bands have continued playing for faithful audiences in the subsequent decades.

Edited by maik_gianino

Same here as they're already filming the video, hmm I could see LP doing something progressive, maybe like Disturbed is doing for their new album? Or better yet just have them go Dream Theater with more screamo and rapping, Linkin Park does Octavarium XD.

Tottaly disagree on the DT stuff, I can't imagine Brad Delson doing the same things Petrucci does at his band. Actually I think putting rap into Dream Theater's style would be a blasphemy.

Nowadays music reporters are not scholars and I'm not believing at all that 'proggy' tag, I mean, progressive music is too big to encompass in one word and say 'this is what LP's gonna be'. We could be around the dartboard but not on the whole center. I'm theorizing about electronic stuff just because of the last songs we've been able to listen, like Lockjaw, New Divide or things like that. And these songs point to more Joe action on the new LP music. Then it would seem to a common ear just like something 'proggy'.

But hey dudes, I've always said that Radiohead's instrumental stuff with agressive Mike's rapping and Chaz's screaming would be something legendary. They are my best druggy dreams :D

Edited by loxias

Thank God.

Linkin Park, while my favorite band and I love them to fucking death, has exhausted their old sound.

MTM was "different," but in many ways still the same. Very mainstream sounding, angsty, radio friendly, very formulaic.

I cannot express how excited it makes me that they have branched off and done something truly different. There's no doubt in my mind that this next album will be their best work.

In other news, the lead single has rapping! Should make people happy. I know I am =D

OMG!! This is insane!! Suddenly we are brimming with fucking amazing news every other day. Can't wait!! But I guess i'm the only one here who does not want the 6-track sampler to leak. It would ruin the experience of listening to the full album at a stretch!!

i just want the single ...for now :D

Me 2 but, the waiting is very boring...and all those "messages" also seems ironic, in the era of HT, Reanimation and Meteora had not so complicated...that those days! :lol:

Based on what description we've been given now, we can say that the genre of this album is supposed to be "progressive electronic trip-rock, with rapping."

Sounds as close to genre-busting as a band could hope to get quite frankly. Can't wait to hear something.

the fact that more and more people are being given a listen means it cant be more than a month away. Damn i cant wait

*edit just because a DJ said it proggy does not mean it is ful on prog rock, lean from MTM, MTM was described as a lot of things that did not always turn out to be true.

There may be elements of prog rock but not necessarily full on prog rock

Edited by GraDoN

Maby you guys think i'm crazy but..

I like the whole waiting stuff..

bucause after the album comes out there will be no new lp music for at least a year..

so i like waiting to the new one and hear all those snniped things cant w8 for to hear the new metiral@!3

I know this is hard to do... but don't get excited over ANY description of the new album. Don't even look at descriptions. When the music is released.. then make your thoughts... because right now youre just putting things in your head that may "break" your heart in the end..

as my good old pal use to say... expect nothing with the possibility of gaining everything

lol yeah i know :S

im sure it will be worth the wait = D

I know...but how? 3 weeks? 7 months? 1 year? 2012? 2050? :lol: ....this waiting is killing me....I need something to revive me... something new, of course I'm talking about at least know the name of the album or the new single, a preview, or the tracklist :lol:

Edited by andros