LPxDC

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright, I've listened to the whole thing, here's a quick review:

1. Yo - Some of you probably remember this from the Linkin Park - Monster Energy promotional bit back in 2008, you could download a low quality loop of this song as a ringtone called "Brad's Yo." Pretty basic stuff, simple beat with some piano and synth towards the end. Very plain.

2. Slip - As I said before, musically very different from Hybrid Theory. For that, I'm a fan. Otherwise, very passe. Mike raps aggressively, Chester sings the chorus, yada yada we've heard it plenty of times before. But, the music is fairly unique for a HT demo.

3. Soundtrack - Interesting. The chord progressions and pacing of this song remind me of a purely rock band. Like a band like Switchfoot wrote it. I can see why Mike said they thought the demo was "too poppy." But it's still interesting to hear Linkin Park's take on the basic rock sound. The verses sound nice, an electronic beat with a quick-paced guitar riff and moody piano. Sounds like it was written for MTM.

4. In The End - Not much to say about this, not much different from what we already have at least upon first listen, other than the higher quality of course.

5. Program - Definitely a stand-out. The song is pretty bi-polar in that it contains a soft section (what would be the verses I assume) that have an interesting electronica sound, strings, and a clean-toned guitar riff, and of course the staple chorus section with big guitar chords. The verses sound really nice, I wish the song didn't have the power chords and was finished was just the music from the verses.

6. Bang Three - Not much to say about this either. Strings in the verses are much more noticeable, there's a slight change in the piano during the intro, and the bridge doesn't have the guitar solo.

7. Robot Boy - As I said before, the different vocal parts are more clearly distinguishable, and the lyrics are not nearly as good as they ended up being on the album (except for one or two lines).

8. Broken Foot - Your basic distorted guitar song. Nothing too special about this, if you love jumping around in your room to heavy guitars, you'll love it.

9. Esaul - Same demo we've known about I think, just in higher quality. Good to have.

10. Blue - WOW. This is definitely the most unique of the CD to me. Blue has a, well...blues-y sound to it. Almost jazzy, and grunge-y. Chester's melody is very bluesy. Reminds me a lot of Grey Daze. When you listen to this, you could imagine them playing it at a small bar. VERY different for a Hybrid Theory demo.

All in all, Slip, Soundtrack, Program, and Blue are the most interesting listens. They definitely make me wonder what Linkin Park's earlier music would have sounded like had Warner Bros. not tied their hands creatively.

4. In The End - Not much to say about this, not much different from what we already have at least upon first listen, other than the higher quality of course.

6. Bang Three - Not much to say about this either. Strings in the verses are much more noticeable, there's a slight change in the piano during the intro, and the bridge doesn't have the guitar solo.

9. Esaul - Same demo we've known about I think, just in higher quality. Good to have.

In The End is a completely different mix that we have not heard before. Bass riff is different. There are existent ambient sounds that we haven't heard before. However, the lyrics seem to have been heard in previous leaked demos.

Bang Three has a different intro entirely. The different piano parts are still in the final mix, but during the chorus instead. The bridge is completely different. It was changed in the final mix to incorporate the guitar solo.

The Esaul on this edition is the first studio version we have heard of the Frat Party jam.

(Not trying to be an ass, just adding more detail for anyone that is interested in purchasing.)

Edited by Skr1tch

In The End is a completely different mix that we have not heard before. The lyrics have been heard.

Bang Three has a different intro entirely. The different piano parts are still in the final mix, but during the verses instead.

The Esaul on this edition is the first studio version we have heard of the Frat Party jam.

I should have clarified- by "quality" I essentially mean "mix." As in the quality of the mixing, as well as the quality of the sound of the song itself.

Bang Three does not have a "different intro entirely." It's slightly different. And yes, that piano part is during the verses of the final version of WID. But not in the intro, as I was stating. I guess the bridge does qualify as "completely different," but only the chord progression is different. It's not like it's some surprisingly new bit of music.

Yes.

Edited by Xero21

Bang Three does not have a "different intro entirely." It's slightly different. And yes, that piano part is during the verses of the final version of WID. But not in the intro, as I was stating.

No reverse effect on the guitar, a lack of the digital 'dirty drums' and an extended intro that incorporates the chorus piano parts is enough for me to call it entirely different.

Forgive me. :lol:

*F5's the hell out of the regular place due to not being able to wait till tomorrow to purchase the CD ;;*

Also, am I the only one who thinks you should get the digital version as well if you purchase the CD?

Edited by adaminator1

Also, am I the only one who thinks you should get the digital version as well if you purchase the CD?

That would be reasonable, but it's not going to happen because of $$$.

Physical copy = Patience.

Digital = Impatience.

Impatience earns the cash.

Impatience + Patience = Even more cash.

Edited by Skr1tch

This CD blows LPUX away. I give it the exact same rating as LPU9 I guess. It might beat it for me once I have more listens because there's really good stuff in this release.

1. Yo - 2008 Monster Energy "Brad's Yo" long version. Some different stuff but using this as the first song makes it feel more like an "album" to me than a collection of demos for some reason. Cool.

2. Slip - Different sounding HT era track. Aggressive Shinoda.

3. Soundtrack - Poppy and simple but this could be a catchy catchy LP song if it was finished. I hear a sample Coal (LPUX Xero demo) uses in there.

4. In The End - Mastered/high quality version of what we already have I believe. I don't hear any differences but I'll take this because this actually blows away the quality of the Untitled demos we have. Interesting it's not called Untitled on here.

5. Program - Choruses have big power chords but I like them. Verses are soft and all. With vocals this could have been an interesting song but wouldn't have probably beaten anything on Meteora except Easier To Run.

6. Bang Three - Not much difference here, just an earlier version of the song with a few slight changes.

7. Robot Boy - Different lyrics that aren't as good as the final version. Cool to have but I'd rather have Blackout with Chester freaking out or something, or Messenger demo since it was so different.

8. Broken Foot - Nasty heavy guitars, good shit here. Band is jamming. Reminds me of Faint's song structure a lot - mucho similarities. Faint is better but this is a great demo to have.

9. Esaul - Studio version of this:

Love it, awesome track and by far my favorite HT demo (like demo of songs, not b-side demos) and favorite APFMH demo out of all the ones we have. The bridge rules with Chester just blowing the hell up lol.

10. Blue - Oh shit. Jammy, grungy, funky fresh. I really like this. SO different from any HT stuff and one of the best LP demos I've ever heard. It's like a Grey Daze meets Linkin Park sort of thing but with rapping. Nothing that aggressive...very laid back and chill but still really good. Mike rapping on this song is awesome. The bridge/end is typical Linkin Park Hybrid Theory nu-metal - Chester yelling with Mike every now and then.

FAVORITE:

Broken Foot, Esaul, Blue

LEAST FAVORITE:

Yo, Bang Three, Robot Boy