Post Traumatic Album Press

hahninator

It's release week - press for the album is coming in. Lots of interviews!

Billboard

"I don't know if I could pick one thing, musically. I wasn't thinking about genre or presentation too much. I really don't overthink the aesthetic of each song very much; There's a logical craftsmanship to putting together a song and arranging song and the structure of it and so on. In that way it was just kind of like making an album or any art -- you just do it and then find out what it is you have."

ALT105.3 FM (audio interview)

Entertainment Weekly

"I talked to Rick in the first week after Chester passed away. He’s a very even-keeled kind of person and energy. He has a perspective. We’ve done three Linkin Park albums with him [beginning with 2007’s Minutes to Midnight] and he made most of my top ten favorite albums growing up. I have a ton of respect for the guy. I asked for his guidance. He said, “Your situation is not like other ones that you’re thinking about. It’s not AC/DC. It’s not Dave Grohl and Foo Fighters. It’s not Chris Cornell. It’s not any of those things. Your dynamic and chemistry and responsibilities in your band are different from any of those groups. You’ve got a different dynamic. […] I think for all of you guys, getting on stage as soon as possible will be really cathartic for you, it’ll be informative for you, you’ll learn about what you can and should do and you’ll connect with the fans and give them a sense of closure."

Album Review: Washington Post

"Shinoda looks back to his old certainties and renegotiates them with “Promises I Can’t Keep.” On the standout track “Crossing a Line,” he broaches the idea of making his own music without his bandmates. (”I’ve found what I have been waiting for/But to get there means crossing a line.”)
He confesses many personal interactions now get awkward quickly in “Hold It Together” and that he’s haunted in “Ghosts.” He teams up with K. Flay on “Make It Up As I Go,” confessing he has no idea what he’s doing but, “I have to make my own lane.”
In the final stretch, the spacy “Lift Off” finds Shinoda recovering his swagger and demanding respect on “I.O.U.” He’s tired of biting his tongue on “Running from My Shadow” and celebrates a friend’s friendship on “World’s On Fire.”
“Post Traumatic” isn’t perfect — it sorely needs some more editing — but it’s a remarkably honest and intense record. On the album’s last cut, Shinoda is finally floating above it all: “I’m somewhere far away where you can’t bring me down.”
May he find his peace."

I actually don't agree with what Rick Rubin said at all. I know Linkin Park is and was Mike's band for the most part, but Chester was super unique and just as good of a vocalist as the guys Rick mentioned, even better, IMO. To me, Linkin Park was always the six guys. I know Xero had a different vocalist and Phoenix wasn't a permanent member for a few years, but the actual band name Linkin Park was just always those six guys to me. So now that Chester has passed, I think Linkin Park is the five guys. That's why I hope they continue as a five piece, if they decide to carry on. Not sure if Rick was suggesting to replace Chester and carry on or not, but that's kind of what I took from it. It's funny too that Mike said he realized after doing the Hollywood Bowl show that none of those awesome performers were nearly as good as Chester, and they just didn't fit, even though they were good.

As for the song descriptions, there are a lot of songs I want to hear. They all sound pretty cool.

I actually don't agree with what Rick Rubin said at all. I know Linkin Park is and was Mike's band for the most part, but Chester was super unique and just as good of a vocalist as the guys Rick mentioned, even better, IMO. To me, Linkin Park was always the six guys. I know Xero had a different vocalist and Phoenix wasn't a permanent member for a few years, but the actual band name Linkin Park was just always those six guys to me. So now that Chester has passed, I think Linkin Park is the five guys. That's why I hope they continue as a five piece, if they decide to carry on. Not sure if Rick was suggesting to replace Chester and carry on or not, but that's kind of what I took from it. It's funny too that Mike said he realized after doing the Hollywood Bowl show that none of those awesome performers were nearly as good as Chester, and they just didn't fit, even though they were good.

As for the song descriptions, there are a lot of songs I want to hear. They all sound pretty cool.

I feel like we both read what Rick had to say and got two completely different understandings from it. Nowhere was it implied to me that Rick suggested replacing Chester. I don't think rick saying it was a different dynamic is a bad thing. Rick obviously is heavily respected from the whole band, and after working together for so long they have rapport. Wasn't he right? They gave fans closure and I think they gave closure for themselves with the concert. You said it yourself when Mike said he appreciated the other artists but knows that nobody stacked up to him, even when everyone else from LP is intact. I see it as Rick telling Mike they should try it once, instead of letting that anxiety and build up steamroll them. I think after the concert, it helped them be more comfortable with whatever it is moving forward

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/linkin-parks-mike-shinoda-on-life-after-chester-bennington-w521509

"The week after the show, I was listening back and going, 'God, these people were all really great singers and none of them were Chester,'" he says. "He had such a specific tone and range – an incredible range. He could sing almost any style you wanted him to. That led to conversations about what to do next. It became obvious that you can't just hire some schmuck to get up there and sing with us, 'cause they won't be able to hit half the stuff."

I really like that he said that.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/linkin-parks-mike-shinoda-on-life-after-chester-bennington-w521509

"The week after the show, I was listening back and going, 'God, these people were all really great singers and none of them were Chester,'" he says. "He had such a specific tone and range – an incredible range. He could sing almost any style you wanted him to. That led to conversations about what to do next. It became obvious that you can't just hire some schmuck to get up there and sing with us, 'cause they won't be able to hit half the stuff."

Fantastic quote.

Great article! Also nice to read how Chino thinks of Mike. I love those bits

Castle of Glass at KROQ is literally exactly how we'd get it at an LP show. Add the band in and it's good to go. I love that performance.

Mike's singing voice just from May to right now has improved. I wonder if he has done extensive practicing between Identity and now.

Give the man the full world tour to work up these other LP songs and we are going to be set. I've been very observant of his singing over the years... remember when he'd kind of shy away from the mic on Victimized in 2012? Now he is all over the mic and is embracing the "lead singer" type of role on stage, even in his solo shows. I mean the difference between Identity and now is significant enough to mention for sure.

The confidence is growing, look at him on Ghosts. He used to only have this confidence when rapping or behind the keyboard, when he did vocals. Now it's across the stage singing. I'm seeing a transformation happening with Mike and it's great.

Castle of Glass at KROQ is literally exactly how we'd get it at an LP show. Add the band in and it's good to go. I love that performance.

Mike's singing voice just from May to right now has improved. I wonder if he has done extensive practicing between Identity and now.

Give the man the full world tour to work up these other LP songs and we are going to be set. I've been very observant of his singing over the years... remember when he'd kind of shy away from the mic on Victimized in 2012? Now he is all over the mic and is embracing the "lead singer" type of role on stage, even in his solo shows. I mean the difference between Identity and now is significant enough to mention for sure.

The confidence is growing, look at him on Ghosts. He used to only have this confidence when rapping or behind the keyboard, when he did vocals. Now it's across the stage singing. I'm seeing a transformation happening with Mike and it's great.

I agree 100%. Mike is a lot more confident now, even since just a month ago or so. You can tell. If you remember back in the day when Mike ''sang'' live for the first time, it was In Between, and Chester would help him, which it needed at the time. Some of the ATS tracks too, Chester would provide some help. Victimized is also a good example from 2012. In recent years, Mike started to get better at singing and now he's really good and confident, it seems. Sorry For Now at Identity wasn't the greatest but it's still badass that he played it, and I think if he plays it again, he will sound much better. Castle Of Glass sounds really good. And he will get better with doing these shows and stuff. He will be ready to front Linkin Park if he wants to revive it. He is more than capable. You aren't just going to replace Chester, it's just not really an option IMO, and one that I would never support anyways, don't mean to sound harsh. I think it would be natural for LP to continue where they left off with Mike fronting the band. He will be able to sing a large portion of their catalog that they played live and he will be able to make songs work, too, by changing them a little if he has to. And then once they write a new album, that's an entire album to throw into the live set essentially, etc. It's stupid to me when people say ''he won't be able to sing Qwerty or Figure.09 or Given Up, etc.'' it's like, they didn't play that shit anyways in 2017. Focus on the songs played in 2017 and then all the new songs that the band will write for an album. More then enough. Chester didn't scream on every song the band made, and half of the ones that he did, they never played live, or very rarely did, especially in recent years. What songs had screaming in the set in 2017? OSC and Faint? BIO? That's it. 3 fucking songs. Mike can let the crowd sing the damn scream parts in those songs because they are all like 15 seconds long. LOL. He did BIO at his shows. Fuck it. Mike can handle it. Anyone that doesn't think he can is an idiot, IMO.

Anyone that was thinking in the past year that Mike can't front LP, etc., is proven wrong now with Promises I Can't Keep and others.

Edited by Geki

Guys, why are we still talking about this? Mike said it's not feasible to sing Chester's songs including him. Next thing, even more important is the band is not on the same page in terms of continuation without Chester. They can't continue with only 3 or 4 members. It won't happen. From Mike's January statement I thought all members want to continue. Apparently we were wrong.

Uhm, source? Havent seen anyone of the 5 saying that he doesnt want to continue at all.

http://loudwire.com/mike-shinoda-linkin-park-future-ac-dc-situation/He didn't mention anybody, but it was just model situation how would they react in real situation.

And from Billboard interview:

So where do things stand with Linkin Park right now?

We'll let everybody know when there's a clear message. We all have different, varying degrees of interest and stamina right now, and I don't want to hold anybody to anything they can't or they don't want to do. We still talk all the time.

Edited by FromTheInside

I don't think they will continue as a 5 piece. I have the feeling that other members don't feel like doing it and honestly, they don't need to. They made enough albums, played enough shows and have a ton of hits. Money will not be the issue anymore. My guess is that other members will pursue something new at this stage of their lives (some already did) and I would be glad if all of the remaining 5 find something they'll be happy with. The mark they left on the world is there and will remain :).

Continuing on by replacing Chester would be the shittiest thing in the world. I wouldn't support any of it. Either continue as a 5 piece or just end the band. The band has already had a 20 year legacy basically and has had tons and tons of number one singles and albums. They've toured the world time and time again. Wouldn't be a big deal if they decided to end the band for me. They've cemented themselves in history just fine. I know a lot of hardcore fans on here don't want it to ever end but most casual fans already think that they're done. Mike is doing his own music now, he doesn't even need the other members of Linkin Park. But if he did want to continue Linkin Park, I'd support him fronting the band as 5 piece. Like I said, replacing Chester, no fucking chance in Hell that I would ever support that.

If they do decided to end the band, I want completed b-sides, unreleased live, etc. One More Light would be a nice final album but I hate how Sharp Edges closes out the album and not One More Light. Oh well, Sharp Edges still related to Chester a lot and his life, so I guess it's fine as a final song for their discography. No doubt the label will want to milk the ending with a greatest hits like every band does. It'd be cool if they did one similar to MCR's greatest hits that got put out after they broke up. But yeah. If they do continue as a 5 piece (only thing I'd support) who knows.

Looking For An Answer would be a great final Linkin Park song, make it the final song on a greatest hits if they do end the band. Mike could record the version from Hollywood Bowl in the studio, it was perfect like that, no need to add chipmunk shit or trap beats to it like he did with OML.

Edited by Geki

I don't see anything wrong with speculating, it's like when we make a thread speculating what the next LP tour would be, etc. "Build the future of LP", etc (all these statements) make it appear they are continuing in some fashion or form, I don't think that's really debatable at this point unless they change their mind. But no one knows how of course.

I'm more than a little certain at least most of them want to continue to some degree. Mike, obviously, is down. Phoenix has been incredibly vocal about wanting to join Mike on tour. Joe is playing shows and guested on COG. Rob apparently got back to Mike really fast about LFAA. Brad was in the studio with Mike during the PT sessions and helped write Running From My Shadow. It's just a matter of all of them not quite being on the same page yet, which is incredibly understandable. It hasn't even been a year yet. It's obviously still speculation, but I would be very surprised if LP is done.

• 2 weeks later...

This one really makes me mad. You can tell which ones have respectful questions and which ones are disrespectful.

He mentions the Trump thing, almost gets shut down by LP mgmt, and Mike handles it well. The guy clearly only wanted a talking point about "MIKE SHINODA SAYS ________ ABOUT DONALD TRUMP" and you can tell because he includes "Donald Trump" in his fucking video description.

The very end - "how long does it take the band to get in shape?" AFTER he is already told "last question" a few questions before that... get outta here. Mike is thrown off by it and it's rude. The comments destroy the guy.