The Future Of Linkin Park (Discussion)

RogueSoul

It's been just about a week and a half since Chester tragically left us, and though it was truly a crushing thing to go through, the entire Linkin Park community united and became closer than ever before. Chester's love brought us all together unlike anything we've ever seen before and it really showed that the Linkin Park soldiers were more than just a fanbase; we are a family.

As our minds clear and we start looking forward again, there's a question that must looming in a lot of our minds: what's next for Linkin Park? Will they move forward without Chester? CAN they move forward without Chester? There's been an open discussion on it in the forums already, and there's been some good ideas thrown around here and there.

Some outlets have already been posting about it, and none of them have really offered definitive conclusions and instead just discussed their own idea of what Linkin Park is. We've been thinking long and hard about what's next for the band, and here are some of the conclusions WE have thought of.

1) Mike takes lead. We all know Mike can't take the place of Chester in terms of some heavier songs like 'One Step Closer' and 'From The Inside,' but over the years Mike has really shown that he has risen up to become more than just Linkin Park's rapper. He's the genius behind the band. There are dozens of songs where Mike takes over completely, such as 'When They Come For Me,' 'No Roads Left,' and 'Until It Breaks.' Mike has really been showing his frontman capabilities on 'Invisible' as well, getting the crowd pumped and walking around the stage like he owns the place already. There's enough songs for Mike to perform in the discography and his voice and presence has gone up exponentially through the years.

On some of the more iconic songs that rely on Chester, there's no doubt Mike could try and think of something to do over it (there's countless verses he can draw from for the bridges of certain songs). This man mashed up five songs for the 'Mashup Intro' in 2014 and somehow thought up a mashup of 'Fallout' and 'Roads Untraveled.' And just look at the Fort Minor sets from 2015! Plus, I don't think we can go without ever hearing 'Sorry For Now' performed live. And lastly, there will be new material someday by these guys.... which will need to be played. If there's a Shinoda, there is a way, and this likely is the most obvious solution for Linkin Park.

2) Play Chester's parts on playback. Now this one is a bit more debatable, but it could ultimately be a good move, at least initially. Astat described a pretty good way of making this work in the existing discussion: "just continue as a 5-piece and have Chester's vocals on playback with an empty mic stand under a spotlight at his spot at the front of the stage. Maybe collaborate with other artists in the future but never actually try to replace him." This doubles not only as a way to keep the show going flawlessly every night but also as an amazing memorial, so to speak, for Chester every night. The crowds will probably sing louder than ever during Chester's parts at future shows, and singing along with him, whether he's there or not (as evidenced in this year's performances of 'In The End'), will always intrinsically be a part of any Linkin Park show. There's not really a good way to replace Chester considering just how good a vocalist he was, so why try? If not, maybe just performing 'One More Light' in this form as a tribute is a possibility.

3) Continue as a 5-piece under a new name/Fort Minor. There was a lot of controversy surrounding Chester joining Stone Temple Pilots in 2013, many fans of the band saying that it just wasn't STP anymore without Scott Weiland. I'm sure a lot of you would have a similar reaction if the band went on without Chester. While losing Chester is a HUGE blow, we have to remember that there are five super talented members of Linkin Park still breathing and who will undoubtedly return to music again one day. If the band wants to continue altogether, they can keep the Linkin Park name OR just tour under Fort Minor or a new name without Chester. This option, personally, feels like it could be more of a detriment to them and realistically just unproductive considering how huge of a name and brand Linkin Park really is, but it's a possibility that's been brought up quite a bit.

4) Become a studio-only band. You might be saying, "Linkin Park is one of the world's best live bands. That's impossible." While the times certainly have changed for the music industry and the circumstances different, this is a route The Beatles took back in their prime. I'm sure you've already heard of the issues with streaming and releasing music in the industry today, but I don't think the band will have any problems with royalties thanks to just how popular and groundbreaking their music has been over the last two decades pretty much. Linkin Park isn't a band in it for the money, either. They want to CREATE. They're at the point where money probably won't ever be an issue for them again, so they won't have to worry much about balancing their budgets with income. It'd be a real shame to never go to a Linkin Park concert again, but if there is no alternative, I think we'd all appreciate new Linkin Park music in the future than nothing at all.

5) Try and find a new vocalist. Let's all be honest: truly replacing Chester is next to impossible. But that's not to say there are at least some vocalists out there who can do the songs some justice live. Some pointed out former Dry Cell singer Jeff Gutt. His band was fairly popular back in the heyday of "nu-metal" (cringe at the term yet?) back in 2001, and he proved he has a great clean voice in his performance of 'Hallelujah' on America's Got Talent awhile back. Not quite Chester levels but a good vocalist all the same. There's also the possibility of bringing in two vocalists (as several bands on the post-hardcore scene already do) to replace Chester: one for the screams and one for the cleans. Honestly, this option might be a detriment to the band even if there WERE a person who could truly replace Chester just because of chemistry and dynamic reasons. All the same, that's an avenue they can take.

6) Perform with guest vocalists. This option could definitely be a fun one, but it'd come with severe limits. Linkin Park could bring out a slew of guest vocalists every night to come out and sing some songs with them on stage. It'd certainly be pretty fun for us to cover every night, especially if there's some wildcards in there, but for the band it'd place a limit on when you can play and where you can play. There are lots of logistics involved with this avenue and it'd be hard to get to some places. It'd be fun to see an all-star lineup every night at Linkin Park shows but if they go this route, it'd be a difficult one. Plus, how would new music factor in?

7) Give the fans a chance to perform. This one is more of a fun and interesting idea than anything else. After Chester left Stone Temple Pilots in 2015 they began looking for a new singer, but by unconventional means. They opened up a contest to the whole world and took submissions from fans who wanted a shot at being able to perform with the band. The assumed winner is a man from the Philippines. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a sort of contest for every show or possibly every tour for fans to be able to sing Chester's parts? Sign Broman up. Get the fun times rolling with the fans because there is A LOT of talent in the community!

It's likely going to be awhile before we see Linkin Park back in action. As of right now, the band's tour dates in Japan in November are still on-sale even though LP hasn't issued a statement on the future of the band at this point. It's okay to discuss and speculate, but remember that just like us, Linkin Park will need time. Don't expect any definitive answers soon. Fort Minor will likely be back someday. The other band members will likely be back someday. It'll just take time.

What we can tell you is that Linkin Park is almost definitely NOT over. At the end of their heartbreaking message to Chester, they said the following: "Our love for making and performing music is inextinguishable. While we don’t know what path our future may take, we know that each of our lives was made better by you. Thank you for that gift. We love you, and miss you so much." Whatever route they take, Linkin Park will be back one day, whether it's in November for Japan, or in 2018, or in a few years. They've always turned our pain and struggles into something we can make into power to move us forward. It's our voices right now that are showing them that we are ALL healing through this together, even the band members.

Mike, Brad, Dave, Rob, and Joe - we hope you're all doing well. We'll all heal one day at a time and you guys take as long as you need to heal. We'll be here when its time for you to come back. And most importantly - we respect any decision you make 100%.

To all the fans - if you're still hurting, be sure to join our awesome LPLive Help Line Discord chat for some help and to make loads of new friends. Check out the memorial page we set up for Chester on our Exclusives Wiki, and also be sure to check out the big doc of Chester Memorials if you want to attend one nearby! Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for future updates on the band. LPLive is here to stay. So is Linkin Park.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanna say that whatever they choose to do, I will support with 100% and it will be the only right answer <3

I could see them continuing like Queen now, it's not like anyone could ever replace Freddie either, but they're still touring because people want to see the rest of the band and sing out those songs you know, have that concert experience even though the heart and the soul of the band is no longer here.

in my opinion Adam has been really good performing those songs and he's never tried to "be Freddie" or replace him. he just sings the songs with his own style and people can still enjoy the old songs with new singer.

but whatever happens after this, it will need a lot of time.

the band didn't only lose a colleague, they lost one of their best friends. it will take time to recover from that, and that time will show us what happens next.

I feel they are going to push out their feelings into songs, maybe make some kind of a memorial album to Chester, maybe not even with the name of Linkin Park. it could be a healing process for all of them.

just my thoughts about this

and for me, I can't see Mike singing Chester's parts in the songs. not that he couldn't do it, he's a good singer. but the songs have been made for two people, and they would not sound good while singed alone.

also that would be emotionally way too hard for anyone, just imagine yourself to his boots.

but if Mike would want to do this, I'd support it 100%. I just don't feel like this would be the way they'd heading for.

I could see them continuing like Queen now, it's not like anyone could ever replace Freddie either, but they're still touring because people want to see the rest of the band and sing out those songs you know, have that concert experience even though the heart and the soul of the band is no longer here.

in my opinion Adam has been really good performing those songs and he's never tried to "be Freddie" or replace him. he just sings the songs with his own style and people can still enjoy the old songs with new singer.

Wow that's a really good point. That goes with the whole "Chester can't be replaced" idea a lot of us have. Then again, how can you still keep Linkin Park sounding like Linkin Park without Chester, you know? We'd have to wait and find out I guess.

Wow that's a really good point. That goes with the whole "Chester can't be replaced" idea a lot of us have. Then again, how can you still keep Linkin Park sounding like Linkin Park without Chester, you know? We'd have to wait and find out I guess.

yeah, that's the trickiest part. Chester sure gave the kind of "Linkin Park sound" and no one can bring that back.

but it's not like anyone else couldn't sing those songs, there's plenty of really good sounding covers on youtube etc. and even if they don't sound the same as Linkin Park, they're still very much enjoyable.

I have to admit that for me LP without Chester are no more LP. I mean, I'll probably support the guys, but The thing That made me fall in love of their music was his voice mainly. What LP's music meant to me was all in the way Chester sang and screamed.

I don't know if they want to go on in 5, or if they will look for a singer, btw no one will replace Chester. I'm sorry to say that, and I feel like a bit guilty... but that's it.

Personally, any option except a 5-piece Fort Minor. Keep Fort Minor as Mike's solo outlet, and if he does continue FM, then allow him the freedom to integrate as much LP material as he wishes like the 2015/16 FM shows.

yeah Fort Minor is Mike's own project and I can't see a reason for Linkin Park changing to Fort Minor ?

if they wanna continue with 5 man group, why could they not be still Linkin Park, or then change name totally ?

or if Mike wants to continue with Fort Minor only, then I'd think it's kind of the death of Linkin Park and the others would find their own things to do. can't really see LP just changing to FM, but of course that can also happen. I couldn't know that

I have to admit that for me LP without Chester are no more LP. I mean, I'll probably support the guys, but The thing That made me fall in love of their music was his voice mainly. What LP's music meant to me was all in the way Chester sang and screamed.

I don't know if they want to go on in 5, or if they will look for a singer, btw no one will replace Chester. I'm sorry to say that, and I feel like a bit guilty... but that's it.

no need to feel guilty about it, we all feel the same way and I'm sure the rest of the band feels just the same too. no one can replace Chester, it's a FACT.

but there are still many solutions how they could continue without Chester

If I were them, I wouldn't even start thinking about this issue until maybe next year. It's all too soon, and it's no point in starting to speculate what the future is.

that is true and I feel the same.

but there is no harm done by just speculating and discussing about it, after all it's a really big question and it's in everyone's minds right now

If I were them, I wouldn't even start thinking about this issue until maybe next year. It's all too soon, and it's no point in starting to speculate what the future is.

The fans wants to know that. I don't think the band will wait till the next year to post official statement.

Honestly I will support them no matter what. If LP has proved anything it is that the possibilities are endless. Thei discography is so diverse.

I kinda want the next step to be an album to honor Chester. A real creative fundament for who he was, what he stood for etc. If I remember it correctly they talked some months ago about recording too much material to fit on OML or hinting at material or whatever. There are probably also still enough recordings left from past album eras. I wouldn't mind them actually (ofcourse if Chester's family would agree) would release a record that features a few old recordings of Chester/LPs himself, some Reanimation-esque remixes of past album tracks by people who admired/praised him, aswell as LP recording a handful of new songs to honor Chester.

I can't imagine what the future will hold, currently living a day a time

I'll definitely keep supporting them regardless of the decision they end up making. But I do feel like if the band carries on it needs to be done as a 5 piece. I just think that seeing another guy on stage with the them would feel wrong. I don't think the guys would be too comfortable accepting a new member to what is essentially their second family at this point either. I know how much we hated this attitude coming from STP fans back in the day, and I have to say that I get them more now than I did a few years ago. And it's not like Chester left the band or got kicked out. This is different.

The live show could be made up of mostly Mike led songs. They can use Chester's vocals on playback for the big hits like Numb or ITE. And I'm sure Mike could come up with interesting new ways to perform some songs. I also feel like at this point he can take on the lead singer role for future material.

I said it in the other thread too, but if it was up to me I'd have the guys continue making music under a different name. A part of me just feels like LP can't exist without Chester. But I can totally see why they might want to keep using the LP name.

As I said before, they'll have me as a fan no matter what. Take as much time as you need guys. The fanbase is here for you.

Edited by Mesck547

For me, disbanding would be another hard experience after Chester's death. I'm emotionally bound with the band and I can't imagine that I'll never be at their concert again or hear a new album from them. I know this is a possible option, because Chester was a huge part of Linkin Park, although I hope it won't happen.

The fourth option is okay, but I doubt the band would want to stop playing new songs live or just meet fans at the concert.

For me the first option is definitely the best. Mike has shown in recent albums that his vocals are getting better and he could definitely be the lead vocalist of the band. However, the concerts will be completely different. We probably would never hear "One Step Closer" or "Numb" again which are some of Linkin Park's most popular songs, and people who don't know the situation would expect the songs to be played at the concert and they could be disappointed. For me, the solution would be good because of the fact that we wouldn't have to get used to the new vocalist. For so many years I watched the band's concerts or interviews, and I was accustomed to them all and I would feel oddly as if I saw some "foreign" vocalist on stage, singing "Papercut" with Shinoda. But I think I could get used to everything, so I'll accept any band decision, but for me it's a good time to play such songs as "Until It Breaks", "Roads Untraveled", "When They Come For Me", or even "It Goes Through", restore "High Voltage". "Castle of Glass" or "Invisible" can still be in setlist. Besides, I think that Mike can easily sing a few songs that Chester had sung, for example "Leave Out All The Rest" or "Shadow of the Day". "In The End" and "One More Light" could be played as a tribute to Chester. In "In The End" his party could be sung by the audience and in "One More Light" his voice could be played as a playback.

There are a lot of solutions and I'll really accept everything the band chooses, but I hope they'll continue to delight people with new music and we'll see them again at the concert. Without Chester it won't be the same, but after this tragedy I will be just glad if they continue Linkin Park, even if future albums are not as good as those with Chester on board.

I had the weirdest dream that Shawn Mendes "replaced" Chester. This mainly has to do with that i sleep with the radio on (Can't sleep without radio) and his song was playing. When i woke up, i hoped this wasn't real, turned out it wasn't. (No disrespect to him).

N. 2 and n. 5 would be painful IMO ... N. 7 is unlikely to me, but we ll see, i expect a statement from the band in some months. I ll accept every decisione they make but absolutely hope they don t quit making music. The idea of a world without Chester and without Mike, Brad, Rob, Joe and Dave making music is Just too bad and painful

I hope that they will take Alex McMillan.
I know that He is totally different person than Chester, but it's not about replacing someone, it's about making Linkin Park sound like Linkin Park as much as it is possible. By the way I believe Alex is a cool guy also