2014.09.15 - Los Angeles, CA (VyRT)

RogueSoul

30-seconds-to-mars-carnivores-tour-linki

Perhaps the most anticipated show of the Carnivores Tour is here! Linkin Park, Thirty Seconds To Mars, and AFI will be performing at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, California on September 15, 2014. Linkin Park's and Thirty Seconds To Mars' sets will be broadcast live via VyRT! This will be the band's first time performing at the Hollywood Bowl, but not their first time performing in Los Angeles - what is more or less their hometown. They've played there in 2001, FOUR times in 2003 (1, 2, 3, 4), 2006, 2008, twice in 2011 (1, 2), twice in 2012 (1, 2), and once earlier this year - totaling in at an impressive 12 shows. That's a lot to, ground to cover so I'll put the history lesson in the spoiler tag below if you so wish to learn a thing or two.

The first confirmed show in 2001 saw the band performing at the Hollywood Palladium with Adema. A GREAT video exists from the show - you can grab it hin our Live Video Downloads & Requests section. The band performed most of Hybrid Theory and a few older songs like 'And One' and 'High Voltage'. A fan managed to throw a sock onto Brad's guitar during the intro to 'A Place For My Head' - what a shot! The band performed two back-to-back shows in 2003, as a release party for Meteora. The band performed the same setlist at both shows, which contained then-new songs like 'Easier To Run', 'Hit The Floor', and 'From The Inside'. Christian from Blindside came out at both shows to sing during 'One Step Closer'! The band returned to L.A. for the second-to-last show of the Summer Sanitarium Tour, alongside artists like Metallica, Limp Bizkit, and Deftones. The band performed more Meteora songs ('Numb' and 'Figure.09' made their debuts on the tour) and even brought out 'P5hng Me A*wy' from Reanimation! The band returned two days later to perform on Jimmy Kimmel Live, performing an energy packed set containing popular songs like 'Faint' and 'Lying From You'. The band didn't return to the stage in Los Angeles until 2006, where the band performed with Jay-Z and Sir Paul McCartney at the 48th Annual Grammy Awards for a once-in-a-lifetime performance of 'Numb/Encore' mashed up with The Beatles' 'Yesterday' - a song referred to as 'Yesternumb'.

The band returned for the Minutes To Midnight Touring Cycle in 2008, performing a shortened setlist due to Chester being sick. The band dropped songs like 'No More Sorrow', 'Points Of Authority', and 'Given Up' - though the music video for 'Given Up' was released just before the show. The band used the regular outro for 'Points Of Authority' as an extended outro for 'Papercut' instead. In 2011, the band performed at the Staples Center with The Prodigy on the A Thousand Suns North American Tour. They performed new ATS songs like 'When They Come For Me', 'Wretches and Kings', and 'Waiting For The End', as well as some older songs. Mike rapped the first verse of 'A Place For My Head' over the extended bridge of 'Bleed It Out'. The band returned later that year for a Music For Relief Benefit. This show was one of the few shows that didn't open with 'The Requiem' - it instead opened with the Minutes To Midnight Tour Version of 'Cure For The Itch'. Mike rapped APFMH over the bridge of 'Bleed It Out' again, but this time Chester continued with the bridge. Rob then performed a drum solo. The band returned again in 2012, the first show for Jimmy Kimmel Live. The band had to perform 'Burn It Down' and 'New Divide' twice due to technical difficulties. The band performed two days later at Club Nokia for X-GAMES Music, where they performed songs like 'Tinfoil', 'Lies Greed Misery', and 'Burn It Down' on livestream. Lastly, the band performed in L.A. early this year in January for the Music For Relief Concert For The Philippines. The show will be remembered by many as one of the most unique shows in Linkin Park history. The band opened with 'One Step Closer' for the first time since 2009, and brought out artists like Ann and Nancy Wilson from Heart, Mike Einziger (with whom they collaborated with on the Honda Civic Tour), The Filharmonic from the show "Sing Off", and Travis Barker from Blink-182. It was a night of many collaborations and great performances! Hopefully we'll be seeing something interesting happen at this show!

This show will be broadcast via Jared Leto's online ticketing service, VyRT. VyRT has been livestreaming shows since late 2011, where Thirty Seconds To Mars performed at their record-breaking MARS300 show (which I attended!) Since then, the platform has evolved and hosted many events, including the Jonas Brothers, Tomo Milicevic's cooking show (Cooking with Tomo), and now, the Carnivores Tour. Linkin Park recently took advantage of it at their summit in Woodlands, TX, where they livestreamed their Q&A to LPU Members via the platform. LPU Members have their own chatroom, which can be accessed via a password you should have obtained via email. You can access it by going to the Carnivores Tour page and clicking the "Main" tab at the top of the chat. You can buy a ticket for the event for as low as $15 for both Linkin Park's and Thirty Seconds To Mars' sets, but there are options to purchase VIPs for each band: $40 for Linkin Park and $50 for Thirty Seconds To Mars. Jared has promised many surprises to happen during the show (and after, with the post-show broadcast for VIPs), who knows what we can expect! MARS livestreamed their concert at the Hollywood Bowl via VyRT last October and debuted their music video for 'City Of Angels' at the show, as well as performing 'Stay' by Rihanna and some other lesser played songs like 'Depuis Le Debut' and 'Pyres Of Varanasi'. Their soundcheck was also broadcast, featuring many old songs like 'Battle Of One', 'Buddha For Mary', and 'Capricorn (A Brand New Name)'. Don't miss out on this event - it'll be your last chance to experience the Carnivores Tour! Chester is rumored to appear during MARS' post-show broadcast when they perform their acoustic set (I'll keep you updated on that - I'm a MARS VIP), and Brad has been talking with Jared Leto... Who knows what'll happen! Linkin Park is planning to use VyRT for future events, such as LPU Chats and even streaming concerts, so be sure to get your first experience at this crazy event!

The band recently performed in Quincy, Washington on September 13. They performed fairly regular version of Set A, which features 'Crawling' and 'Points Of Authority'. Mike rapped a hybrid verse of 'Remember The Name' by Fort Minor over his solo medley. Mike has kept his solo medley relatively safe when it comes to changing up his verses, only rapping 'When They Come For Me' and 'Remember The Name' over the solo. What songs do you want to see him do? According to our poll, the fans want to see 'High Voltage', 'Step Up' and 'Carousel' above the rest! Speaking of changing things up, the band has kept their setlists pretty consistent on the tour, not changing much up. The band has rehearsed the entirety of Hybrid Theory, 'Breaking The Habit', 'A Light That Never Comes', 'No More Sorrow', and more for the tour, but, unfortunately, those songs didn't make the cut for the final setlists. Our 2014 Live Poll says that you guys want to see 'A Place For My Head' and 'By Myself' on the tour, and we know they've rehearsed them! This show would be as good a place as any to get some great reaction from both the crowd and the fanbase!

Check out this video of the band performing 'Numb/Encore/Yesterday', or 'Yesternumb' at the Grammy Awards in 2006, with Jay-Z and Sir Paul McCartney. Would you like to see some collaborations happen for the end of the tour?

Aside from Linkin Park, the other bands on the Carnivores Tour are still doing great! AFI performed a shorter version of their average setlist, opening with 'The Leaving Song, Pt. II', playing new songs from their newest album, Burials, like '17 Crimes' and 'I Hope You Suffer', older favorites like 'Love Like Winter' and 'Silver And Cold', and closing their set with their huge hit, 'Miss Murder'. The band dropped 'The Days Of The Phoenix' from their set, unfortunately. Back at the beginning of the tour, they performed two songs which the subsequently dropped: 'A Single Second' and 'Beautiful Thieves'. Do you think the band will bring back one of those, or even a different song? Thirty Seconds To Mars also performed a different version of their set, opening with an old-school song by Carl Orff: 'Carmina Burana, O Fortuna' and their new song from Love Lust Faith + Dreams, 'Up In The Air'. The band performed older tracks like 'Search and Destroy', new singles like 'Do Or Die' and 'City Of Angels', as well as some new songs like 'Conquistador' and 'End Of All Days'. For those who are unfamiliar with MARS's live performance and are tuning in to see them on VyRT, you can expect some HUGE production: giant balloons flying everywhere during 'This Is War', LOADS of confetti, and even Jared going out into the crowd during 'Kings and Queens'! During his acoustic set, Jared played the chorus of their song, 'Hurricane', as well the band's career-saving single, 'The Kill (Bury Me)'. The band added their song 'Bright Lights' into the setlist, the first time they've done so on tour. Maybe as a rehearsal for the Hollywood Bowl! They jammed to Pantera's 'Cowboys From Hell' as Jared invited fans up onstage for their last song, 'Closer To The Edge'. There's currently a contest going on - if we can sell 1,000 VyRT Tickets by the show tomorrow, Jared will dedicate 'Do Or Die' to a lucky fan. Will YOU be that fan?

Who's heading to the show, or watching on VyRT? I'll be watching on VyRT, and I'll keep you updated if anything happens during MARS's post-show broadcast. After this show, the Carnivores Tour has three more shows in California before concluding. Be sure to watch both bands perform - many surprises are bound to take place! If you're going to the show, stop by the Music For Relief Booth and donate to the cause of putting an end to the ebola outbreak currently taking place in Africa. Register on our forums to discuss everything about Linkin Park, and check out our shop for some awesome T-shirts! Stop by the wiki to learn everything you need to know about the band, too. We'll keep you updated on the show both here and on our Twitter, so be sure to follow us there!

Setlist

SOUNDCHECK

01. Rebellion (w/ guest guitar)

02. Faint (Jam)

MAIN SET

01. Mashup Intro #2

02. Guilty All The Same

03. Given Up (Ext. Outro w/ Extra Note)

04. Points Of Authority

05. One Step Closer (Ext. Outro)

06. Blackout (Shortened)

07. Papercut (Shortened)

08. Rebellion (ft. Daron Malakian)

09. Runaway (Shortened; Ext. Outro Transition w/ Wastelands Verse 1)

10. Wastelands

11. Castle Of Glass (Experience Version)

12. LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent

13. Robot Boy (Shortened)

14. Joe Solo Medley

15. Burn It Down

16. Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro; Wall Of Noise Outro)

17. Final Masquerade

18. Mike Solo Medley (w/ Joe) (w/ Remember The Name)

19. Numb (Numb/Encore Intro + Outro)

20. In The End

21. Faint (ft. Austin Carlile; Ext. Outro)

----------------------------------------------------
22. Lost In The Echo (Shortened)
23. New Divide (Shortened)
24. Crawling (Shortened; w/ Faster Tempo)
25. Until It's Gone (Shortened; POA Rap Intro)
26. What I've Done (Ext. Guitar Solo Bridge)
27. Bleed It Out (Ext. Bridge w/ Drum Solo + The Catalyst Refrain)

- This show was broadcast via VyRT. Fans who purchased the Linkin Park VIP got access to the techs doing a soundcheck and an exclusive post-show broadcast.

- Daron Malakian from System Of A Down came out and played guitar during 'Rebellion'.

- Austin Carlile from Of Mice & Men joined the band for 'Faint'.

Check out the rest of Linkin Park's 2014 touring schedule here.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the post-show broadcasts different for the LP vs. 30STM VIPs? If so, I'll keep people posted on anything that happens on the LP VIP side of things, I know Soul has the 30STM VIP side covered.

Yup, should be two different broadcasts. I know MARS is going to do a acoustic set, Q&A, etc. (what they always do for VIP) but I'm not sure what LP would do - a Q&A seems likely at the very least.

Pretty sure Daron Malakian is going to be guesting on Rebellion tonight. They were showing the live feed from the crew soundcheck and Benjamin was soundchecking a guitar in Drop C and playing Rebellion. Whoever checks the mics (Tater?) said something into the mic to the effect of "This is the guest's guitar you're hearing in your in-ears right now. I don't know who all is playing on it...all 3 of them are playing on it? Okay then."

The broadcast is rewindable, it's at about 1:36:30 if you want to check it out.

*Edit* LP crew jamming on Faint around 1:41:00.

It's not going to make it to Youtube.

Is 30STM quick to DMCA VyRT stuff if people try to upload it?

Edited by Astat

Extremely. It's not just MARS though - it's the VyRT team. It's kinda stupid for the free stuff (VyRT Violet) but it's somewhat understandable for actual live shows.

Figured as much. Might be a good idea to add this show to the "dangerous to upload to Youtube" thread just so people don't get ideas.

*Edit* Do you have any idea what that "384 tickets to go to unlock additional content" is about?

*Edit 2* One of 30STM's crew guys soundchecking Jared's mic singing Conquistador around 3:05:00, dude actually has a hell of a voice!

Edited by Astat

*Edit* Do you have any idea what that "384 tickets to go to unlock additional content" is about?

They like setting goals for ticket sales to unlock stuff. In the past 24 hours we managed to sell 1000 tickets so Jared will dedicate 'Do Or Die' to someone onstage.

"This is the guest's guitar you're hearing in your in-ears right now. I don't know who all is playing on it...all 3 of them are playing on it? Okay then."

I always thought that LP's rig can only handle two guitars? Wouldn't it be a pain in the ass to extend it so they can have a third guitar for one show and only one song?

FYI Faint is always played by the crew at soundcheck, and they didn't really soundcheck Rebellion, Benjamin was just playing Rebellion on Brad's guitar for a bit while the special guest talk was going on.

I always thought that LP's rig can only handle two guitars? Wouldn't it be a pain in the ass to extend it so they can have a third guitar for one show and only one song?

Not really sure what the new rig is capable of with the Fractal/Ableton stuff, to be honest. A lot of Mike's patch changes are actually triggered from Brad's rig on the opposite side of the stage, so we know they're basically capable of running 2 guitars off of one guitar rig.

They can always do like they did with Mike from Incubus and just have him set up his own amp on stage too.

Well. VyRT sure does go to great lengths to make sure people can't rip the raw feed. I found the direct link to the stream (which I won't be sharing for obvious reasons), but when you try to access it directly, it comes up as a blocked domain. Apparently they have it set up where it will only work when the VyRT URL is pointing to it.

Yeah, if people figure this one out, they've earned it. :lol: Starting to think we won't get anything more than audio of LP's performance unless they end up releasing this as a DVD.

It took almost the whole tour to have a collab with someone who wasn't even on the tour. Jesus Leto could easily sing All For Nothing with the band, or members of AFI could come out on One Step Closer like before. And they just have one extra guitarist play tonight. Daron better bust out a face-melting solo over the bridge.

It took almost the whole tour to have a collab with someone who wasn't even on the tour. Jesus Leto could easily sing All For Nothing with the band, or members of AFI could come out on One Step Closer like before. And they just have one extra guitarist play tonight. Daron better bust out a face-melting solo over the bridge.

I doubt he plays anything he didn't play on the album. Not really sure why they're insisting on having all 3 of them play guitar on it. But hey, maybe Daron can at least show Brad the right way to play it.

*Edit* VyRT is completely down right now. "Application Error." Anybody want to start taking bets on the stream not even working? Or the odds of us getting refunds if it doesn't?

Edited by Astat

I'm pretty happy that it's almost confirmed that Daron will be doing Rebellion with LP tonight. I feel like my 15 dollars did not go to waste at all now. I think it will be great. I really enjoyed when they did stuff in the past like BIO with Incubus, or Crawling with Chris Cornell, etc. Even though this isn't really like that since Daron played guitar on Rebellion on the album, but still.

LMFAO. So VyRT is repeatedly Tweeting the same message trying to get people to contact their support email, acting like their entire fucking website just taking a shit is an isolated problem for a few people. I don't think that's going to do much good when you're dealing with hundreds, if not thousands of paying customers who are looking at an "Application Error" page 10 minutes before a broadcast they paid anywhere from $15 to $50 to see is supposed to start. What a fucking joke.

LMFAO. So VyRT is repeatedly Tweeting the same message trying to get people to contact their support email, acting like their entire fucking website just taking a shit is an isolated problem for a few people. I don't think that's going to do much good when you're dealing with hundreds, if not thousands of paying customers who are looking at an "Application Error" page 10 minutes before a broadcast they paid anywhere from $15 to $50 to see is supposed to start. What a fucking joke.

YUP. I knew I shouldn't have fucking paid money for this shit. I am so pissed right now... They should have been prepared for high traffic. Especially when they are broadcasting Linkin fucking Park, who has an insanely massive following.