Styles Of Beyond's "Reseda Beach" Coming, Finally!

hahninator

Styles Of Beyond Central (SOBC, run by good ole Jay) just posted about the "Reseda Beach" album we've been hearing about for so long now. When did rumors of this CD start floating around? 2007 at least?

After releasing "2000 Fold" and "Megadef", they worked on another new album in 2005 titled "Rocket Surgery" (later changed to "Reseda Beach"). In 2007, they ended up releasing a "Razor Tag" mixtape after working with Green Lantern (remember him from Fort Minor's "We Major" mixtape?) and had some good stuff on there, including 'Second To None' and 'Hey You', which featured Mike on vocals. 'Second To None' was performed live a few times in 2007 since SOB joined Projekt Revolution that year, and Mike even threw a verse from it over 'Points Of Authority' in 2007. The song was rumored to be on "Reseda Beach" but ended up being released on the "Razor Tag" mixtape and was featured on the almighty Transformers Soundtrack.

Our interview with Ryu from 2009 revealed why the band was put on hold and why the members did their own things, with Ryu saying "The Warner thing (referencing their split from Machine Shop Records) I think mentally exhausted everybody, I think it was just time to do something fresh and new. Business wise and creatively. The status of the group is unknown at this point. It just felt like we were beating a dead horse after a while."

Ryu in an April 2009 online video chat played a few tracks from the album, but otherwise nothing has been said about it ever coming out. However, today he posted on Twitter that the album is indeed coming shortly. It should be here within two months and will be on Celph Titled's "Dirty Version" record label.

Posted Image

Known song titles include 'Here We Go' (feat. Celph Titled), 'Call My Name', 'The Pirate Song', 'Damn' (feat. Micheal Buble & Holly Brook), 'Dumb It Down', and 'Dunky Fividenz' (feat. Apathy)'. It remains to be seen what the final tracklisting will be, but we assume most of these tracks (and maybe 'Second To None') will appear on the release. One song, called 'Don't Feel Bad' (feat. RZA) was rumored as well but was recently confirmed to not be on the album.

So for all of you Styles Of Beyond fans out there, get ready! Who's excited for this one to finally come out?

I wonder about "Damn" now that Holly Brooke is Skylar Grey. Huge Grammy winning songwriters usually don't show up on independent hip-hop albums. I wonder what kind of deal was worked out and if they have permission to use the song anymore.

If it weren't for Mike she wouldn't even fucking exist, she owes him her career.

Can't fucking wait for this album. Been a fan of SOB since 2005, I met the whole group in 2007 and they signed my copies of 2000 Fold and Megadef. Here's a pic of me and Tak http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n115/Ge...ak-Syracuse.jpg

I also met them in 2006 at a FM show. Really awesome guys. I can't wait for this album!!!!! I want to hear 'The Pirate Song' so bad.

I wonder about "Damn" now that Holly Brooke is Skylar Grey. Huge Grammy winning songwriters usually don't show up on independent hip-hop albums. I wonder what kind of deal was worked out and if they have permission to use the song anymore.

This was made way before she even quit her Holly Brook name and changed to Skylar Grey. That song I'm sure was made in like 2007...she released music as Holly even after that (O Dark Thirty EP). It wasn't like Skylar got big then did this haha. She is good friends with Apathy and SOB (but especially Ap) so it was no problem to feature her here. I'm sure since it was before she got big it's ok to release.

And Tak should be on every track I would assume. Vin Skully produced a lot of this (most I would assume) and I believe Mike produced a few songs.

I'm particularly interested about Bublé turning up on the record - how the hell did he end up on there?!

Cheap met him at a GRAMMY party. They exchanged details, and Mike did the track for no money; for a bottle of scotch (this was before he quit drinking entirely).

EDIT ::

It may also be a good time to remind anyone that didn't know/forgot that Michael Bublé just recently did a track with Shinoda that has yet to be released.

Edited by JaySinkie

This was made way before she even quit her Holly Brook name and changed to Skylar Grey. That song I'm sure was made in like 2007...she released music as Holly even after that (O Dark Thirty EP). It wasn't like Skylar got big then did this haha. She is good friends with Apathy and SOB (but especially Ap) so it was no problem to feature her here. I'm sure since it was before she got big it's ok to release.

And Tak should be on every track I would assume. Vin Skully produced a lot of this (most I would assume) and I believe Mike produced a few songs.

It's not as black and white as that. It depends on what kind of contract was made up then (if there was one) permitting her to be featured on the album and who owns the rights to the "Holly Brooke" name, who owns the rights to that song, etc. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't show up. If Interscope now owns the rights to "Holly Brooke", SOB might have to get licensing from them, regardless of when the song was recorded.

Edited by letdownagain

Cheap met him at a GRAMMY party. They exchanged details, and Mike did the track for no money; for a bottle of scotch (this was before he quit drinking entirely).

EDIT ::

It may also be a good time to remind anyone that didn't know/forgot that Michael Bublé just recently did a track with Shinoda that has yet to be released.

That's immense. This track (Bublé/Shinoda), whose track is it? I mean, will Bublé probably release it?