Mike's LPU Chat Summary (6/26/13)

JZLP-NaughtyNottingham

Mike surprised the fans and appeared in the LPU chat last night. This is what he said:

-They still don't know what they are going to play for the Sunset Strip & Asia shows, the sets might be similar.

-About 'I'LL BE GONE' live: ''I would love to play I'LL BE GONE, but I dont know if its going to happen''.

- No plans for more cover songs.

- About 'SKIN TO BONE' & 'Robot Boy': ''Some songs weren't made to be played live, we might play them somehow but we have other songs in mind, those songs are made of samples and keys if the band was made of 6 Shinodas we could play them''.

- No plans for another song for Transformers.

- Stone Temple Pilots: ''Chester is doing great with STP, I have nothing to do with them, I offered myself to work with them but they ended up doing their thing by themselves.''

- He said ''Hey Mike, play Carousel live!''

- He doesnt likes the new Nine Inch Nails song.

Thoughts?

Edited by Hahninator

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STP: ''Chester is doing great with STP, I have nothing to do with them, i offered myself to work with them but they ended up doing their thing by themselves.''

Definitely for the best, at the very least because Shinoda is now working on the next Linkin Park album.

-No plans for another song

for Transformers

Chester said the band won't say no if they will be asked to, so it's possible.

-They still don't know what they are going to play for the Sunset Strip & Asia shows, sets might be similar.

Singleset again :mellow:

- About Skin To Bone & Robot Boy: ''Some songs weren't made to be played live, we might play them somehow but we have other songs in mind, those songs are made of samples and keys if the band was made of 6 Shinodas we could play them''

sounds very interesting. Edited by Skipees

Well Mike randomly appeared and this is what he said:

-They still don't know what they are going to play for the Sunset Strip & Asia shows, sets might be similar

Posted Image

Why am i not surprised?

Edited by Joe_lp

-They still don't know what they are going to play for the Sunset Strip & Asia shows, the sets might be similar.

-About 'I'LL BE GONE' live: ''I would love to play I'LL BE GONE, but I dont know if its going to happen''.

1) I legitimately facepalmed.

2) Why the hell would they not play IBG? I'd imagine it'd be as easy as IMR to pull off.

3) Something I can agree with.

If the setlist for sunset strip festival will be equal/similar as previous sets, why the flyers have the names of hybrid theory and xero and why all the work for it?

because their history starts there, it's a sentimental thing. you can be sure that the most of the setlist will contain Linkin Park songs, and not Hybrid Theory or Xero songs anyway. Edited by Skipees

Mike surprised the fans and appeared in the LPU chat last night. This is what he said:

I'm disappointed, but not at all surprised.

What the hell? I see no issues with IBG live. In all honesty, I think it would be easier to translate into a live setting than some of the other LT songs (see LGM).

- No plans for more cover songs.

I'm not really bothered by this. I was never a huge fan of the cover songs anyway.

- About 'SKIN TO BONE' & 'Robot Boy': ''Some songs weren't made to be played live, we might play them somehow but we have other songs in mind, those songs are made of samples and keys if the band was made of 6 Shinodas we could play them''.

I could think of a few ways around this, like playing a stripped down version of it on piano or something, but I understand that there are other issues with playing these songs, namely in terms of vocals. Also, this bit really stuck out to me: "but we have other songs in mind". This could mean a lot of things. It could simply mean the songs they are already playing live, new songs off of the new record, or older songs that have been dropped. That could be interpreted in many ways.

- No plans for another song for Transformers.

Chester said in an interview once that they wouldn't say no if it came up.

- Stone Temple Pilots: ''Chester is doing great with STP, I have nothing to do with them, I offered myself to work with them but they ended up doing their thing by themselves.''

It seems like it's for the best, as Mike is needed with LP for their new record. However, Mike working with STP as simply a producer would be pretty cool and definitely change things up with them and how they sound.

Agreed.

Edited by Castle of Glass

I would like to add:

He said that the band will work to adjust the Set to add new LT songs. He said that to me when i asked about new Living Things songs on SSMF or Asian Tour.

Also he said that they didn't start the reheasals for the next Shows, and thats why he is unsure about the Setlist and I'll Be Gone (i asked about IBG too)

Plus i asked about if Skin To Bone was hard to play live like Robot Boy and he said that those songs can't be played live because of the samplers and keyboards but if LP the band had 6 Mikes will be playd live. Added that maybe the songs will played somehow in the future but priorities are first.

The rest is history and funny stuff. I did a recap in my Site, but is in spanish ^_^

-Living Things greeted by birthday, thanks for all the Tweets that greeted the anniversary of the disk.

-He said he was looking forward to playing in Asia.

-Are you tired of driving so much and have interviews with media in Malaysia and Hong Kong by next August Shows.

They do not know what will be the setlist for Sunset Strip Music Festival and Asia but said it will be similar.

-We asked if they would of Living Things new songs live and answered

"We have not started rehearsals.'m Pretty sure the guys want to do the rest of September is set before learning new songs, we'll see how long takes."

-We also asked if he had seen the video of Living Things Anniversary we have all done and said,

"I have not seen the video on Youtube yet, but I plan to see it"

-We asked if they would play live I'll Be Gone and said:

"I'd love to play I'll Be Gone, but I have no idea if it'll even happen"

- He asked if they had plans to do covers and Mike said they had no plans yet.

- We asked if Skin To Bone was so hard to do live and Robot Boy and answered

"Some songs are not meant to be played on a Live Show, (Robot Boy, Skin To Bone). Could touch them in some way, but priorities come first. Such songs are made ​​of samples and keyboards. If my band was made ​​of 6 as I could touch them " (Generating laughter from everyone in the Chat)

- He asked if they had to do something to Transformers and said that they had plans for that yet.

-As for what was more difficult song live for, he said:

"Probably Burning In The Skies. syncopated guitar and fits with the rhythm of the vowels. As my hands and voice / mouth have to completely separate things. "

-The same was said: "Mike, play Carousel" when they began to ask for the old songs Show on Sunset Strip.

- He said he likes Nine Inch Nails but did not like the new song.

- He asked how I was leading the band's creative process considering that Chester was in Stone Temple Pilots.

Mike said: "Chester is having fun in STP, it's all good. I have nothing to do with STP. I offered, but they ending it by yourself.'s all right."

- He said in his creative process Figure.09 always carry the same name as Demo.

- Then we started joking with the camera having activity, with Brandon for all the toys he had on his shelf, saying it was Santa Claus and a girl for her red hair, saying she missed her red hair and to stop acomodárselo because it would not change your hair for more than keep playing. (Generating laughter again throughout the chat)

- At the end when he said goodbye please do not forget to see the video of Anniversary responded Living Things.

I was never under the impression that the name Xero/Hybrid Theory on the flyers meant anything beyond some sort of "homecoming" thing, considering it is the sunset strip in CA. :lol: at Mike for the Carousel comment

that said, I am also not surprised to see that CA and Asia won't see different setlists. did anyone really expect any different!?

however, I add my voice to the "bring out I'll Be Gone" crowd. It appears to not be that outwardly complex a song (as opposed to Robot Boy's sampling etc.) I have always considered In My Remains and I'll Be Gone to be a little bit too similar to be on the same album, so if they can do IMR, IBG can't be too muchh of a stretch can it? (I agree with you, Castle Of Glass)

on the subject of Skin To Bone, I honestly think that if they did play it, it would quickly become like LGM, where we say it feels a bit odd and quickly tiresome. Robot Boy has this big sweeping edge that could carry an audience, but Skin To Bone doesn't seem quite so effective. but that's just my personal opinion.

either way, let's hope we get a DSP of this one, I love the audience rec's we got from this year, but 2013 is sorely lacking in some SBDs.

either way, let's hope we get a DSP of this one, I love the audience rec's we got from this year, but 2013 is sorely lacking in some SBDs.

I think we'll get DSPs from Australia/NZ later this year, doesn't Australia usually have a delay between the show and DSP release?

2) Why the hell would they not play IBG? I'd imagine it'd be as easy as IMR to pull off.

For the same reason IMR didn't last very long in the live sets: Because Linkin Park has a singer who can't pull off half the stuff he does in the studio in a live setting anymore.

What I see about Skin To Bone is that it is as difficult to play as any other songs for them, the problem is: Mike does lead vocals on this one and he might sound extremely weird while singing it live the same problem with NRL he sounded like sh!! when he sang it.

Skin to Bone wouldn't be particularly difficult to DO live, but it would be hard to PERFORM live. That song basically consists of a beat, a bunch of synth stuff, and vocals, so a "live" performance of it would probably just consist of Mike and Chester singing their vocals over an instrumental backing track while the rest of the band sits around doing nothing . It'd look really lame.

Robot Boy is tough to do live because there are like 6 or 7 vocal parts in it. It has even more vocal layers than Hands Held High, which we already know was dropped because the band didn't feel like they could do justice to the vocal parts, so Robot Boy probably isn't even worth attempting.

Edited by Astat

on the subject of Skin To Bone, I honestly think that if they did play it, it would quickly become like LGM, where we say it feels a bit odd and quickly tiresome. Robot Boy has this big sweeping edge that could carry an audience, but Skin To Bone doesn't seem quite so effective. but that's just my personal opinion.

Yeah, I was actually wondering if anyone was clamoring for STB to be played live. In my time here at LPL, which admittedly isn't very long, I've never seen anyone begging for Linkin Park to play SKIN TO BONE. I've seen I'LL BE GONE, CASTLE OF GLASS (fixed), POWERLESS, and even ROADS UNTRAVELED and UNTIL IT BREAKS, but never SKIN TO BONE.

For the same reason IMR didn't last very long in the live sets: Because Linkin Park has a singer who can't pull off half the stuff he does in the studio in a live setting anymore.

I'LL BE GONE seems like it would be easier to do live than IN MY REMAINS. I think the main issue with IMR was the pitch changing so drastically during the chorus. I'LL BE GONE seems like it would be rather straight foreword, but that might just be me. Edited by Castle of Glass