Unlisted Grey Daze Shows / Notes

LESTAT

Here's the thread to compile all of the useful, but incomplete info about Grey Daze shows / submit newly found dates that are not in the guide.

Currently not in the guide:

Added shows (from this thread):

• xxxx.xx.xx West Hollywood, CA, Coconut Teaszer
  • xxxx.xx.xx West Hollywood, CA, Whisky a Go Go
  • 1992.xx.xx Phoenix, AZ, N 32nd St & Shea Blvd, Henry Haun's Private Party
  • 1993.xx.xx Phoenix, AZ , Greenway High School (Lunch break performance)
  • 1993.03.19 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with Plasterfish)
  • 1993.03.28 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with Nuclear Assault) (5:00 PM show)
  • 1993.03.28 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with Nuclear Assault) (8:30 PM show)
  • 1993.05.01 Phoenix, AZ, Street Survivors, "Schools Out Rave For Summer"
  • 1993.05.02 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (7:00 PM show)
  • 1993.05.02 Phoenix, AZ, Library Cafe (9:30 PM show)
  • 1993.05.15 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with Plasterfish)
  • 1993.05.16 Mesa, AZ, Hollywood Alley
  • 1993.05.31 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar, Mosh Pit Monday (with Attitude John)
  • 1994.xx.xx Phoenix, AZ, McDowell Studios
  • 1994.03.03 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with Lemon Krayola, Glass Bottom and Huckele Bones)
  • 1994.04.09 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with Lemon Krayola and Glass Bottom)
  • 1994.10.06 Phoenix, AZ, David Knauer's Recording Studio, "Wake Me" Pre-Production Live Session
  • 1994.12.23 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Warsaw, Postvale Road and The Slims)
  • 1994.12.27 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Posted Green, Reuben's Accomplice and Nihil)
  • 1995.01.11 Scottsdale, AZ, Thunder & Lightning Bar & Grill
  • 1995.01.13 Mesa, AZ, Nile Theater (with Death Takes A Holiday and Witz End)
  • 1995.01.16 Scottsdale, AZ, Atomic Cafe (with Milky Fly)
  • 1995.02.03 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, "After Hours" night
  • 1995.02.04 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, "After Hours" night
  • 1995.02.10 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, "After Hours" night
  • 1995.02.14 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, Club Sex (with Warsaw, Chalk Farm and Curious Walk)
  • 1995.02.25 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, "After Hours" night
  • 1995.02.24 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, "After Hours" night
  • 1995.02.11 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, "After Hours" night
  • 1995.02.17 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, "After Hours" night
  • 1995.02.18 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, "After Hours" night
  • 1995.03.09 Phoenix, AZ, Paradise Cove (with Kidd Nasty and Nuclear Opie)
  • 1995.03.25 Phoenix, AZ, Paradise Cove (with Premonition, Feel and others)
  • 1995.03.xx Electric Ballroom (with Posted Green & others)
  • 1995.04.10 Scottsdale, AZ, Atomic Cafe (with Lemon Krayola)
  • 1995.04.23 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Plasterfish, Millennium and Morphine Mary)
  • 1995.05.07 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, AAA Local Rock Show
  • 1995.05.14 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, AAA Local Rock Show
  • 1995.05.21 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, AAA Local Rock Show
  • 1995.06.17 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Indecis, Fluidrive, Audra and Clock People)
  • 1995.09.28 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Able Cain)
  • 1995.11.10 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (Opening for Lemon Krayola)
  • 1995.11.17 Tempe, AZ, The Big Fish Pub (with Liquid Fate and Twelve Inch Waste)
  • 1995.12.31 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, New Year's Eve (Opening for Vince Neil)
  • 1996.01.26 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom
  • 1996.02.10 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with Lemon Krayola)
  • 1996.02.18 Phoenix, AZ, David Knauer's Recording Studio, Album Pre-Production Live Session
  • 1996.03.08 Phoenix, AZ , Veterans Memorial Coliseum (with Bush, No Doubt and Goo Goo Dolls)
  • 1996.03.23 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Bandit Queen and Van Gogh's Daughter)
  • 1996.04.20 Phoenix, AZ, Desert Sky Pavilionv(Opening for Michael Schenker Group)
  • 1996.04.20 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Zig Zag Black, Witz End and Rebel Soul)
  • 1996.04.29 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Ethel, Jones Fracture and Rosemary Silence)
  • 1996.07.13 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with Ho-hum, Felony Blues, Futile and Fine China)
  • 1996.11.16 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with Oil, Necessary Enemy, Crash Wagon, Crooked Alibi, Flutter Kill and Binge)
  • 1996.11.27 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with Super8 and Einsteins)
  • 1996.12.03 Tempe, AZ, Conservatory Of Recording Arts & Sciences, "No Sun Today" Pre-Production Live Session
  • 1996.12.06 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Still)
  • 1996.12.13 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with VooDoo Scream, Necessary Enemy and Aces & Eights)
  • 1996.12.27 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Kicking Harold, Surf Ballistics, Elliot's Lochness and others)
  • 1996.12.28 Tempe, AZ, Big Fish Pub (with Perpetual, Claymores and Wicked Season)
  • 1996.xx.xx Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom, Warner Bros Private Showcase
  • 1997.xx.xx Phoenix, AZ, Outside of "Guitar Center",Grand Opening
  • 1997.xx.xx Tempe, AZ, Gibson's (with Seven Mary Three)
  • 1997.02.01 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Chronic Future, Still, Lemon Krayola, Dislocated Styles and others)
  • 1997.02.02 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with Just Because, Tolerance, Outernet, Jimmy Rig and Frail)
  • 1997.02.12 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Type O Negative, Sister Machine Gun, Drain and Cellophane)
  • 1997.02.22 Tempe, AZ, Big Fish Pub (with Necessary Enemy, Freud's Mom and Firesky)
  • 1997.05.06 Tempe, AZ, Gibson's (with Powerman 5000 and Sexpod)
  • 1997.05.23 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Puzzle Gut and Vitamin)
  • 1997.06.06 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Failure, Poster Children and Jesus Chrysler Supercar)
  • 1997.07.26 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom
  • 1997.08.15 Phoenix, AZ, Castles N' Coasters
  • 1997.08.23 Tempe, AZ, Fender Showcase Room @ Electric Ballroom (with Fat and Chindo Squad)
  • 1997.09.06 Tempe, AZ, Big Fish Pub (with Love Not Human and Thinkadectomy)
  • 1997.10.03 Tempe, AZ, Big Fish Pub (with Zig Zag Black, John and Bldg.5)
  • 1997.10.04 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (Opening for Faith No More)
  • 1997.10.12 Tempe, AZ, The Big Fish Pub (with Flambookey, Surf Ballistics, Oil and others)
  • 1997.10.17 Tempe, AZ, The Bash On Ash @ McDuffy's (with SOLEYduncan and Necessary Enemy)
  • 1997.11.07 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with Oil, Necessary Enemy, Hubcap, We Drink Rain and Underlye)
  • 1997.11.15 Tempe, AZ, Big Fish Pub (with M.I.R.V., Fred Green and Gemini Lounge)
  • 1997.12.12 Tempe, AZ, Mill Avenue Sport Rock Cafe (with Eric Hates Everything)
  • 1997.12.19 Tempe, AZ, The Bash On Ash @ McDuffy's (with Velvet Blue and Jan Zero)
  • 1997.12.31 Tempe, AZ, Big Fish Pub (with Jesus Chrysler Supercar and Yoko Love)
  • 1998.01.17 Tempe, AZ, Mill Avenue Sport Rock Cafe (with Jan Zero, Rub Cleo and Blue Healer)
  • 1998.01.31 Tempe, AZ, The Bash On Ash @ McDuffy's
  • 1998.01.31 Tempe, AZ, Boston's (Opening for Snot)
  • 1998.02.13 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with God Lives Underwater and Flourescein)
  • 1998.02.20 Tempe, AZ, Big Fish Pub (with Bionic Jive, Mr. Pink and Secular End)
  • 1998.03.17 Tempe, AZ, The Bash On Ash @ McDuffy's, St. Patrick's Day
  • 1998.03.20 Tempe, AZ, Mill Avenue Sport Rock Cafe (with Hollow and Jan Zero)
  • 1998.10.17 Tempe, AZ, Gibson's (with Dislocated Styles, Bionic Jive and Mission G)
  • 1998.10.23 Tempe, AZ, Mill Avenue Sport Rock Cafe (with The Robies, GPT Restraint and Sidetracked)
  • 1998.10.24 Tempe, AZ, Gibson's (with Yoko Love, Tolerance and Jesus Chrysler Supercar)
  • 1998.10.31 Phoenix, AZ, Jackson's On 3rd, Halloween Bash (with Lucy's Fur Coat and Jesus Chrysler Supercar)

Other Shows (Too little details & random mentions)

- I played guitar with Chester in 1992 in Phoenix. We played shows in Scottsdale at Thunder and Lightening, the Spaghetti Factory in Phoenix and the Mason Jar and Big Fish Pub in Tempe..
http://lplive.net/interviews/greydazestory.php

- I think I even saw you locally ages ago when you were fronting the band Grey Daze. I dont remember who I was there to see, but I remember you being a little pissed because the acoustics were so bad at The Mason Jar. Does that sound familiar to you?
http://celisedowns.com/blog/2008/05/20/letter-to-chester/

- Usually if there is a local rock band that makes it, it's only a member or two that does. Case in point would be a band called Grey Daze that used to play shows with my old band, Obscure. The singer from Grey Daze, Chester, went to California and now sings for the industry band Linkin Park.
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f49/music-club-could-this-become-reality-36031.html

- Chester cried outside the mason jar about a heckler in grey days, wrote em off then.
[I can see this phrase on Google, but can't find the exact post on the Facebook page the link leading to]

- He'd already been through that experience with Shaded Grey, the five-member rock outfit he'd formed with Digital Summer guitarist Johnmark "Fish" Cenfield in the mid-'90s. They'd landed some killer gigs opening for groups like Bionic Jive, Disturbed, and Grey Daze, but eventually folded in 2004 because of band drama.
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2008-05-08/news/relentless-stickering-and-guerilla-marketing-have-made-digital-summer-one-of-the-valley-s-hottest-bands/full/

- Hollywood Alley. There's a lot of history on the decor of this venerable Mesa venue, either in the form of classic movie posters, the shelves of used paperbacks, or the ever-growing mass of local band stickers covering the men's room and the corrugated metal wall near the front door. The latter is indicative of the roll call of artists who have called Hollywood Alley's stage home -- at least for the length of a 45-minute set, that is -- during its 24-year lifespan. A few dozen chapters of Valley music scene history have been written inside the scuzzy-yet-chic rock dive, which has been run by the eclectic Wincek family since its debut in 1988. Name any of the more memorable names in local music (Beat Angels, Zen Lunatics, Grey Daze, Minibosses) from the past quarter-century and they've been there.
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2012/04/our_10_favorite_metro_phoenix.php?page=2

- I am not really picky when it comes to venues. I am excited to see music, and I'm happy to see it anywhere. My all-time favorite venue was when we used to set up generators and play in the desert back in the 90's. Rubens Accomplice, Gray Daze, Posted Green, Mandingo, and many more classic Arizona bands used to play these shows I put on in high school. Totally in the desert, totally fun. With that being said, I think my favorite place to see a show is Veterans Memorial Coliseum. I love it there. It's possible one of my favorite places in Arizona.
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2011/08/river_jones_what_are_you_liste.php

- And Sean, dude, there are so many Sean stories I have . . . there was this one time when we were in Grey Daze. And we drove out and we were doing some shows and a photo shoot. Photo shoot and a show, out in San Diego. We might not have done a show during this time. But we went out and did this photo shoot and we ended up staying overnight, and I had been married to my ex-wife, and it was a pretty fresh marriage. And so Id just gotten into, you know, cuddling with someone, you know what I mean? And we had to share a bed. And so Sean and I were in the same bed.
http://etnies.com/blog/2008/01/31/club-tattoos-chester-bennington-interview-pt-3

- Sean Dowdell on Grey Daze: The band played all over the western US, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, San Franciso, etc. I don't have any info on dates though.
http://lplive.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11311&page=2&do=findComment&comment=242527

- Sean Dowdell on "Sean Dowdell And His Friends": We played for well over a year and a half around the Phx area, probably 50-70 shows.
http://lplive.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11311&page=2&do=findComment&comment=242527

- Jonathan Krause: When I played, the most memorable shows we're opening up for the Phunk Junkeez and a show that we played at Bennigan's outside in the parking lot. Both shows were packed and I think we're just coming into our own. Chester was a great frontman. He was beginning to really draw the crowd in. I remember at the Phunk Junkeez show there were some fans in front of the stage that I gave high 5s too. Cheesy, but fun at the same time. Kind of living the moment.
http://lplive.net/wiki/db/exclusives/grey-daze-story

- Jonathan Krause: I remember playing a lot of shows with them including Club Rio, many times at the Electric Ballroom, all the Rally Kap shows, Long Wong's, Paradise Cafe, and all while managing to record at several studios, do a photo shoot in California and practice 3 or 4 nights a week.
http://lplive.net/wiki/db/exclusives/grey-daze-story

- Crazy, Crazy, Crazy. The last 2 days I've been hanging with the guys in Orgy, and with that comes all the usual and am i beat! the long beach show was da bomb! Chester Bennington from Linkin Park showed up, and sang with them. I hung out with him and his awesome wife backstage. It was cool seeing them again. My old band Psycho Gypsy used to play alot of shows with his old band Grey Daze back when we both lived in phoenix. We were talking about how different it is over there nowadays. He seemed kinda tripped out to run into me as well, was pretty cool! Been deep in rehearsals for the upcoming shows, and on pre-production of the new CD. Just Found out the Vixen special that me and Traci are hamming it up in airs in Nov. on Vh1. Added new "peeps with creeps" pics, keep sending them in! The Halloween show on the 30th @ the gig is gonna have quite a few surprises and 'special guests" be sure to be there and then go see Toxic Twist @ The Roxy! That's all for now.
Much Love
EE
http://peppermintcreeps.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/id2.html

- I was living in Phoenix and went to a local big club to see a band called Grey Daze. They were unsigned, but had a strong buzz. I was immensely impressed with the singer, who just blew me away, but the rest of the band was light years behind him and completely uninspiring.
After the show, he walked right over to me, and advised me I was hitting on his wife (unsuccessfully). We talked for a few minutes, and I told him what I thought. He listened, as much as anyone can in a loud rock club, and we went our separate ways.
It was maybe a year or so later that I heard his voice again, this time on the local hard radio station, KUPD. He'd moved on from Grey Daze and was the singer for Linkin Park. The voice was unmistakable, but you don't forget a name like Chester Bennington, either.
https://www.quora.com/Is-the-only-Vocal-audio-out-there-for-Skid-Rows-18-and-life-song

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know where/when this show happened?

I will work on it.

- Grey Daze opening for Seven Mary Three @ Gibson's in 1997

There are at least two people I saw or talked with that mentioned this show.

Here's one of them: https://www.facebook.com/kspidel/posts/10151565718650499

Kevin Hinojosa-Spidel Best concerts I ever promoted in the mid 90's was 7M3 with Grey Daze (Chester opening up) at Gibson's, Stabbing Westword opening for Sponge, and seeing Justin Newsted being scouted by Lars at Long Wongs. Major history in Tempe!

I even tried to contact him, but no luck.

Here are the dates from Seven Mary Three website:

11/29/97, Tempe, AZ

Venue: Gibson's

Address: 410 South Mill Ave., Tempe, AZ

Doors: 8:30pm, Tickets: $12, All ages, Info: (602)

829-9257

Monday 8/04/97

Gibson's

410 South Mill Ave., Tempe, AZ 85281,Tempe, AZ,

doors: 7:00 pm, tickets: $10/$12,all ages, info: (602)

829-9257

I have absolutely no more clues to figure out which one exactly. We can add this as

1997.xx.xx Tempe, AZ, Gibson's (Opening for Seven Mary Three)

-Grey Daze opening for No Doubt and Bush

From an interview with Sean Dowdell:

What was the biggest show Grey Daze played?

We played quite a few big shows. At the end of the band we were drawing 1500-2000 people ourselves, but the biggest show I can remember was the Super Bowl Party in Az with No Doubt and Bush. i think there were 15k people there or something like that.

You can read the entire interview and our discussion here: http://lplive.net/forum/?showtopic=9440

As someone guessed there, I think it is "1996.03.08 Phoenix, AZ, Veterans Memorial Coliseum" and Sean just mixed up the fact that it was some kind of Super Bowl party.

Add the xx date for the first one since we don't know which one is truly correct. Then add the March 1996 one. I researched that myself and came to the same conclusion. Unless this Super Bowl party show was unlisted and was somehow never posted about online, then I think we have the right one. It's too close to February (Super Bowl) to not be right, IMO. It all adds up...Sean's memory probably is just a little hazy since this was all the way back in 1996.

Thank you! Here's another one:

-Grey Daze @ Guitar Center opening party

Jesus... I saw Grey Daze at the Guitar Center opening party when they first opened by Ghetro Center. Old school

.http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?10445-The-Phoenix-Thread!/page406

According to Guitar Center website, the above mentioned store was opened in 2000. So either it was the later incarnation of Grey Daze with Jodi on vocals or that guy confused this Guitar Center with the one in Tempe that was opened in 1998.
I emailed their local staff and here's the response:

I apologize, but we unfortunately have no information on whether Grey Daze had played at any of our store locations. We had nearly 70 store locations during the 1990s, and I know that we've held Battle of the Bands competitions as well, so they may have played at one of our locations at some point. I apologize for not having any further details.

• 1 month later...

Thank you! I have an old list of very little informative comments like this from various sites somewhere. I'll post it here tomorrow. They are almost useless, but somehow noteworthy.
Maybe we should search for the new ones as well. Let's compile them all in this thread.

EDIT: Added some of the stuff to the main post.
EDIT: Added more stuff.
EDIT: And more.
EDIT: Forgot to add the comment you posted, lpliveusername. Fixed.

The photo I attached to this post is also noteworthy. It's most likely either Greenway High School or Washington High School.

EDIT: It's from GHS and it was 1993 according to the site you can see on the pic.
http://web.archive.org/web/20010802210956/http://come.to/Miss.Twiggy

I was listening to the radio in my car one day and couldn't believe it when I heard the dj mention Linkin Park's singer, Chester Bennington. You certainly don't forget a name like that, so as soon as I got home I found my old yearbooks and sure enough, there he was. It's so exciting to see a talented hometown guy make it big. It's funny to see just how many Linkin Park websites have the phrase "Chester is so hot!" plastered all over them. I think all the ladies would be surprised at just how much he's changed since high school - no offense to Chester, but I certainly wouldn't have described him as hot back then. So here are some exclusive pictures from my 1993 Greenway High School (Phoenix, AZ) yearbook. These photos are from his junior year. He ended up graduating in Washington High School's (Phx) class of '94. No, I am not currently in contact with him, he was just someone I saw at school every day, so don't ask for his email or anything and Please DO NOT put these on your site without asking either me, or the owner of the Untitled site that's linked below, thank you.

So I guess we can add this as

1993.xx.xx, Phoenix, AZ, Greenway High School

and make a note that it was a show during an extended lunch break and that it was probably just one of many lunch break performances.

I also just found that yearbook online: http://www.classmates.com/yearbooks/Greenway-High-School/255707
There's never before seen photo of Chester smoking a cigarette on page 47. Attached it to this post as well.

x_2e0bd80652.jpg

chester.jpg

So I was just browsing through my personal archive and I found the following message from a personal conversation with some guy:

yeah a looonng time ago. i first saw and heard of them was at the electric ballroom in 96-97. i arived early for a chronic future show, i think it was on a friday night - but i dont know the date/time

grey daze played another ballroom show that my brother went too. i gave him one of those flyers/band pictures/show promotion to my brother to get the band to sign but he said that he couldnt get to them so i couldnt get everyones autograph.

the next and last time i saw them was at the electric ballroom again. i think it was a week or two before the simply rude ska spectacular was put on.

not sure of any set lists they played, or true dates and times they were at.

if i can get a hold of my buddy in chronic future he'll probably have all that. i think they played together or opened some shows for them a few times in the mid 90's

I googled "Rude ska spectacular" and there's only one result:

Let's Go Bowling, Hepcat, and Mustard Plug: The three hardworking ska-revival bands--which hail from northern and Southern California and Michigan, respectively--join forces on Friday, June 20, for the "Simply Rude Ska Spectacular," which also features sets by Kongo Shock, the Mad Caddies, and Jim Jones and the Tempters. The all-ages show starts at 7 p.m. at the Electric Ballroom, 1216 East Apache in Tempe. Tickets are $13.50, available at Ticketmaster. For details call 894-0707 or 784-4444.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1997-06-19/calendar/calendar-for-the-week/

That means we kinda have one more date:

1997.06.xx Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom

1997.03.15 Tempe, Arizona
Added new note to the show page:

- Grey Daze's bass player Mace Beyers commented that it was a hard show for the band to play, because it was extremely hard to win over the crowd that came to see Suicidal Tendencies, but they did manage to start a pit by the end of the set.

EDIT:

What's the worst gig you've done?
Chester: At a bar called the Grasshopper in Arizona with my band Grey Daze. It was a Tuesday night, 7pm, and there was no one there. We played the whole set for the waitress, bartender and doorman. The fewer the people, the harder it is. You have to be professional to do it. You can't expect things without earning them. Those three people could tell their friends if they liked it, then there'll be six people next time.

http://metro.co.uk/2011/06/09/linkin-parks-chester-bennington-it-was-awesome-being-hated-so-much-39674/

JACKPOT!

1997.05.06 Tempe, AZ, Gibson's (with Powerman 5000 and Sexpod)
http://web.archive.org/web/19991116205626/http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1996/042497/music/coming_up.html

1997.06.06 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Failure, Poster Children and Jesus Chrysler Supercar)
http://web.archive.org/web/19991009223749/http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1996/052997/music/coming_up.html [we have this date as 1997.06.xx in our guide]

1997.10.04 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (Opening for Faith No More)
http://web.archive.org/web/19991205030309/http://phoenixnewtimes.com/1996/092597/music/coming_up.html

1997.10.12 Tempe, AZ, The Big Fish Pub (with Flambookey, Surf Ballistics, Oil, The Claymores and Authority Zero)
http://web.archive.org/web/19991012213002/http://phoenixnewtimes.com/1997/100997/music/this_week.html

1998.02.13 Phoenix, AZ, Mason Jar (with God Lives Underwater and Flourescein)
http://web.archive.org/web/19991206215219/http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1998/020598/music/coming_up.html

Thank you. Here's the only time I know:

And Sean, dude, there are so many Sean stories I have . . . there was this one time when we were in Grey Daze. And we drove out and we were doing some shows and a photo shoot. Photo shoot and a show, out in San Diego. We might not have done a show during this time. But we went out and did this photo shoot and we ended up staying overnight, and I had been married to my ex-wife, and it was a pretty fresh marriage. And so Id just gotten into, you know, cuddling with someone, you know what I mean? And we had to share a bed. And so Sean and I were in the same bed.
http://etnies.com/blog/2008/01/31/club-tattoos-chester-bennington-interview-pt-3

That's awesome! Really good work.

Never knew they opened for Faith No More.

Edit:

According to this, Limp Bizkit opened for Faith No More in the same day but in a different city:

http://www.bizkitlive.com/1997.php

Setlistfm confirms the place and date:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/faith-no-more/1997/celebrity-theatre-phoenix-az-73d53245.html

Both Limp Bizkit and Faith No More shows were recorded:

http://www.bungleweird.net/bootlegs/shows.php?id_show=105

http://www.bizkitlive.com/shows/19971004.php

Edited by lpliveusername

Very interesting. Tempe is very close to Phoenix, so it's not a totally different city entirely. Maybe the show was moved to a bigger venue. It's possible that Limp Bizkit replaced GD (for whatever reason), I think we would know if they opened for Faith No More at one point.

The show have been moved:

To start off with, the show was moved from the Electric Ballroom to the Celebrity Theater as the Ballroom lost it's alcohol license.

Faith No More and Limp Bizkit, official site?

But nothing says that Grey Daze didn't played that day in the Electric Ballroom.

Or maybe they ended up opening for both Limp Bizkit and Faith No More in a bigger venue.

I think we would know if they opened for Faith No More at one point.

But we JUST recently figured out they opened for Bush and No Doubt...So who knows?

Right.

Damn those reviews really hurt the eyes, one of the reviewers says the opening band. If GD was really there they would have let an impression, there's also no recording. Lack of something doesn't prove it of course.

I guess eventually they still played the show in the Electric Ballroom, they played there all the time so they'd still get the place filled. Limp Bizkit played a few more shows with Faith No More so I think they didn't really replace GD.

Messaged Mace to ask about this show. He should remember, because opening for / losing the spot to open for Faith No More is quite an event.

He saw my message, but didn't reply.

EDIT: Some of the bands Grey Daze opened for were pretty popular. Like God Lives Underwater.

We should search if there are any reviews of these specific shows for every band. Maybe Grey Daze were mentioned in some way. Would be interesting no matter how little info is out there.

Maybe some of this shows were recorded.
I also see that God Lives Underwater were touring with Flourescein around the US and Grey Daze opened for them on their AZ stop. I should add stuff like this to the show pages. That would make them a lot more interesting.

EDIT: There's a recording of both Sexpod and Powerman 5000 from 1997.05.06 gig:
http://www.angelfire.com/az/livevideo/list2.html
http://www.angelfire.com/az/livevideo/list3.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ks/ksvid/video2.html

Emails sent.