Chester in Kerrang!

FearOfTheDuck

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, I like the guitars a lot and I like Hybrid Theory through Minutes to Midnight more than A Thousand Suns. However, I still like A Thousand Suns and the way I see it, it's like they've come too far in their sound evolution to go back now. I don't think it's going to sound JUST like Hybrid Theory by any means, but I still see this as a step back in the evolution process and to me it's like, how can they tell us two years ago that they're going through this great change in sound and they're sick of the nu-metal sound, then go right back and go back to it.

I can't help but think that money/sales/popularity played a big role in this. Sure, maybe they just wanted to bring back guitars, etc. but you can't tell me that when they saw less album sales and half-filled arenas (at least the show I went to), that played a part in the decision to partly revert back to old ideas.

Again, I didn't hate A Thousand Suns, but it was probably my least favorite album in terms of individual songs, but I see this new transition of sound as being forced based on what they saw in fan support, rather than what they WANT to do, like Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns were.

Don't get too excited guys, this album still isn't going to sound like HT or Meteora. If anything, it'll still be more like ATS, just as they've said "more upbeat and big choruses". Do NOT take this interview out of context and think that they''re going back to nu-metal. That would just be stupid and pointless. Regardless, this is very exciting news and I can't wait to see what they have in store as summer draws closer.

I have the feeling some people are getting it wrong. I don't see it at all like a step back to Nu metal. Seriously, I see zero chances of getting songs like Forgotten, By Myself, Hit The Floor, or Don't Stay again. Apparently, if what they've said so far is true, the new album will be more of an uptempo record, while the last two were mid-tempo records, and in that way, it would reconnect with the old "full of energy"' LP. You can be "heavy and fast" without sounding nu-metal. And it wouldn't be a step-backward IMO.

Edited by Qwerty18

I have the feeling some people are getting it wrong. I don't see it at all like a step back to Nu metal. Seriously, I see zero chances of getting songs like Forgotten, By Myself, Hit The Floor, or Don't Stay again. Apparently, if what they've said so far is true, the new album will be more of an uptempo record, while the last two were mid-tempo records, and in that way, it would reconnect with the old "full of energy"' LP. You can be "heavy and fast" without sounding nu-metal. And it wouldn't be a step-backward IMO.

I wasn't suggesting that it would sound exactly like Hybrid Theory or Meteora. Obviously, there is almost no way we're getting songs like that. Honestly, I see it as a cross between Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns, but with less slow songs. I just feel like bringing back more guitars is kind of their way to get more older fans interested again. In my opinion, instead of just doing what THEY want to do, like Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns, they are letting fans tell them what to do a little bit.

Either way, the album is still going to sound great, and I'm very excited.

Edited by stl22

In my opinion, instead of just doing what THEY want to do, like Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns, they are letting fans tell them what to do a little bit.

But maybe THEY want the guitars backs. Just saying...:)

And more guitars doesn't necessarily means more heavy guitars. LP could experiment with tons of guitar pedals to get weird noises /original guitar textures. See what bands like Joy Formidable do with guitar pedals, it's pure awesomeness.

Edited by Qwerty18

But maybe THEY want the guitars backs. Just saying...:)

And more guitars doesn't necessarily means more heavy guitars. LP could experiment with tons of guitar pedals to get weird noises /original guitar textures. See what bands like Joy Formidable do with guitar pedals, it's pure awesomeness.

the pie chart said HT guitars, so hopefully that means heavy guitars.

Sure it will sound nothing like HT or Meteora but I feel the songs will be heavy maybe like Given Up, and they will be upbeat kinda like Waiting For the End and maybe fast like the said, a long the lines of Sum 41's new album Screaming Bloody Murder where the songs have slow and fast parts

We can speculate all we want but we're obviously not going to know how the album is going to sound like until its released.

No doubt there will be disappointed people if the album does not sound how they were expecting it to be.

We can speculate all we want but we're obviously not going to know how the album is going to sound like until its released.

No doubt there will be disappointed people if the album does not sound how they were expecting it to be.

I just want the first single, because maybe the album as a whole will be somewhat resembled in the first single

I really hope bringing back guitars doesn't mean boring ass distorted powerchords from the first two records, because that would be a real step backwards. I mean there is so much more you can do with guitars. I sorta hoped that LP would go even more experimental with the next record, but it looks like its not happening. Oh well, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

I really hope bringing back guitars doesn't mean boring ass distorted powerchords from the first two records, because that would be a real step backwards. I mean there is so much more you can do with guitars. I sorta hoped that LP would go even more experimental with the next record, but it looks like its not happening. Oh well, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

This.

I mean there is so much more you can do with guitars.

Agreed

I really hope bringing back guitars doesn't mean boring ass distorted powerchords from the first two records, because that would be a real step backwards

Not agreed. Too easy and too generic judgement. If distorted guitars are used the right way and in the right moment, they can be very pleasant.

the pie chart said HT guitars, so hopefully that means heavy guitars.

Sure it will sound nothing like HT or Meteora but I feel the songs will be heavy maybe like Given Up, and they will be upbeat kinda like Waiting For the End and maybe fast like the said, a long the lines of Sum 41's new album Screaming Bloody Murder where the songs have slow and fast parts

Pie chart could very easily have been Kerrang pandering to fans and doing baseless speculation.

@Qwerty18 not the way LP did it. That's what the person you quoted was referring to.

Now, let's not blow this interview out of proportion. We're not getting Hybrid Theory 3 (not that anyone said we would). "More guitars", considering what LP has been doing the past few years, probably just means "more prominent guitars" because ATS was covered in guitars, but in a subtle, quieter fashion that added to the soundscapes the album built.

I think what Chester is trying to convey is similar to what Nine Inch Nails did in regards to The Fragile and With Teeth - The Fragile was an epic two-disc, two-plus-hour masterpiece with numerous overarching themes, and a loose storyline throughout the album, tied together by repeating motifs and complex soundscapes. With Teeth, on the other hand, was most definitely an album of songs - some of them shared themes, sure, but there wasn't an overarching theme that tied it all together. The songs all stood on their own.

What I was most interested in was Chester's mentions of the lyrical content; glimmers of hope, of positivity. That's something I'm not used to seeing with LP. That's what I'm definitely most interested to hear more about.

I don't understand why all you ATS lovers think this album will sound like ATS. All the interviews leading up to this album since the very first one say differently. ATS is not LP's sound. Neither are the other albums, they always do something different than before. This new album will not sound like ATS, nor will it sound like any others either. It's it's own album. Phoenix said aggressive vocals, Chester says guitars are back, Mike says big electro sound and not afraid to make music like old LP, etc.

I don't understand why all you ATS lovers think this album will sound like ATS. All the interviews leading up to this album since the very first one say differently. ATS is not LP's sound. Neither are the other albums, they always do something different than before. This new album will not sound like ATS, nor will it sound like any others either. It's it's own album. Phoenix said aggressive vocals, Chester says guitars are back, Mike says big electro sound and not afraid to make music like old LP, etc.

I agree, it will not be like ATS, nothing points to it and all their albums are changing

I agree, it will not be like ATS, nothing points to it and all their albums are changing

I'm not trying to bash ATS because I don't like it very much, I'm just saying that the album won't sound like ATS did, nor will it sound like anything the band has done prior. Don't forget, LP always does something different. It won't be Hybrid Theory Part 3, either. Honestly, I'm expecting an album instrumentally similar to MTM, but with ATS lyrics.

Hey, who's even saying that it's going to sound like ATS? I haven't read a single post saying that. I've seen people hoping it'll sound like ATS, but no, everything we've heard so far in interviews and such indicates that they're moving away from the ATS sound and to a harder, heavier sort of deal.

I personally wouldn't mind an album similar to ATS, but I wouldn't beg for it either and I won't shit on an album that's not ATS 2.

I'm interested in hearing how the electronic elements will manifest themselves in a heavier album, personally. I think that has the potential to make a fuckton of fans happy.