Questions

Skipees

This thread is for questions that only the band or the people that working/worked around them can answer, for questions that some of us probably knows the answer, use this thread please.

You can use this for the next Facebook/LPU chat:

• What sample was used in Pictureboard?
  • When (exactly) Mark Wakefield left Xero? How much long were they without a singer and what they did meanwhile (recorded only instrumental tracks/rap verses etc..)?
  • Which songs were on the tape, that Scott Harrington sent to Chester?
  • What's the real release date of the Hybrid Theory EP?
  • What's the Ambient/Secret real name?
  • If Part Of Me and Carousel were re recorded after the HTEP, was And One re recorded too?
  • Hybrid Theory (band) tour, when, where, with who, etc..
  • What's the source of the "Hybrid Speech" before Papercut live, that also used in the High Voltage reprise studio version?
  • Which shows from Projekt Revolution 2002 were recorded by the band?
  • Where "Lying From You (Live LP Underground Tour 2003)" from the Faint single was recorded?
  • Are they going to release Live In Texas in HD in the future?
  • What is the full date of the Bucket Of Weenies show at Best Buy 2006?
  • Are they going to release the Making Of Minutes To Midnight "Webster Hall Version" somehow, sometime?
  • What was the 17th song from MTM sessions (besides MTM, NRL, ATL, WWDK and Blackbirds)?

You can add any questions or mysteries that you want to ask.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the lpu meet and greet when LP came to Dallas recently. i had them sign my htep and i asked mike what the song after part of me was called. he looked confused and said "uhmm i dont think it has a name i think its just called part of me". <_<

In the Hamburg 2001 interview the band states that they were auditioning for a singer for about 4 months. That pretty much fits into the time frame of Mark leaving after the last known Xero show with them looking for a singer even before that.

I guess we'll never know more about the Pictureboard sample unless they figure out a way to release the song. They don't seem to be at liberty to talk about it for legal reasons.

My question is if Part Of Me and Carousel were re recorded after the HTEP for possible inclusion on Hybrid Theory. I'm talking about the demos on the demo CDs, specifically the one with the Part Of Me where Chester screams "CUT MYSELF FREE". If so, was And One re recorded too? Because the live version is very different than the studio HTEP one.

My question is if Part Of Me and Carousel were re recorded after the HTEP for possible inclusion on Hybrid Theory. I'm talking about the demos on the demo CDs, specifically the one with the Part Of Me where Chester screams "CUT MYSELF FREE". If so, was And One re recorded too? Because the live version is very different than the studio HTEP one.

Unless the demos on the 8-track CD were done before the HTEP like some other demos (Slip/Blue/first version of Esaul), they would have to be post-HTEP. That timeline really wouldn't make much sense either, because it would mean they went 8-track (Carousel/Part of Me demos) > HTEP ("polished" versions) > 9-track (reverting back to demos?).

I've always wondered if the Dan the Automator track Rob recorded drums for in 2004 was actually the Handsome Boy Modeling School song that Mike and Chester were featured on.

Hah, i just read this thread and happened to be listening to the live performance in Webster hall. It is damn amazing. If there are people who haven't listened to it (i really hope not) you should ^_^ the best performance of BTH is performed here and arguably the best crawling (maybe after RaR 2004)

Edited by kickgift

Great Thread, we have to make questions like these ones for the band, but, if they will answer, this is a different history...

Also, a little doubt came again into my mind with the Astat quote: the vocals by Mike/Chester used in the Handsome Boy Modeling School are unique for this song or was ripped from some demo or something like that? And the instrumental in Chester part was made by HBMS or is unknown who made it? I don't know if someone know these stuff, but who knows? :P

Great Thread, we have to make questions like these ones for the band, but, if they will answer, this is a different history...

Also, a little doubt came again into my mind with the Astat quote: the vocals by Mike/Chester used in the Handsome Boy Modeling School are unique for this song or was ripped from some demo or something like that? And the instrumental in Chester part was made by HBMS or is unknown who made it? I don't know if someone know these stuff, but who knows? :P

Those vocals were created for the song, the instrumentals sound very linkinparkish but the HBMS probably added something

Mike is credited with both co-production and guitar on the HBMS song. The instrumental portion of his and Chester's parts were probably all Mike (assuming Rob didn't have some uncredited drum work on there as I speculated). Mike's even there vocally on Chester's part, doing the "breathe, breathe" whispers.

I feel like that track was a 2004 equivalent of Until it Breaks with how it's pieced together. The parts Mike and Chester did may have come from unused LP material, but I kind of doubt it. They didn't really seem big on the idea of touching any non-album stuff from Meteora for a LONG time, plus they rarely wrote lyrics for unfinished songs back in those days.

I went to the lpu meet and greet when LP came to Dallas recently. i had them sign my htep and i asked mike what the song after part of me was called. he looked confused and said "uhmm i dont think it has a name i think its just called part of me". <_>

We need only one rule for this thread - don't ask Mike. :lol:

Live in Texas will not be re-released.

How do you know?

Mike is credited with both co-production and guitar on the HBMS song.

He's credited here for bass and piano too. There are credits for everything except for the drums, so you still might be right.

There is no official name for the end of Part Of Me. It essentially is just part of the song. People separated it before, but it's supposed to be in the same track as Part Of Me is.

Since it was a hidden track they didn't print it, but it doesn't mean there's no name for it. Even just a working title.

There is no official name for the end of Part Of Me. It essentially is just part of the song. People separated it before, but it's supposed to be in the same track as Part Of Me is.

The HTEP booklet says "Track 7 by Mike Shinoda." It's definitely not "just part of Part of Me." I've always just called it "Track 7" for that reason.

Edited by Astat

• 2 months later...

If we ever get a chance to interview Mike, this would be a great question. If someone says yo there were 17 full songs, 12 on the album + NRL, WWDK, ATL, Blackbirds. What was the last one? Was it Ammosick? Then bam he will know what you mean and explain. A M&G would be a great chance to ask this too.

The HTEP booklet says "Track 7 by Mike Shinoda." It's definitely not "just part of Part of Me." I've always just called it "Track 7" for that reason.

Ahh. I'll call it Track 7 from now on, too.

Unless the demos on the 8-track CD were done before the HTEP like some other demos (Slip/Blue/first version of Esaul), they would have to be post-HTEP. That timeline really wouldn't make much sense either, because it would mean they went 8-track (Carousel/Part of Me demos) > HTEP ("polished" versions) > 9-track (reverting back to demos?).

Off topic:

I feel like we should make a "guide" with the dates of all these demo CDs (maybe we could add it to the Demos Thread?)

Anyway, here's what I've got:

Xero

- Sometime in 1997.

Hybrid Theory EP

- Rumored May 1, 1999.

Hybrid Theory 2-track demo (A Place For My Head (Esaul) and By Myself)

- Sometime in 1999.

Hybrid Theory 8-track demo

- Sometime in 1999. After August 24, 1999 (High & Mighty's Home Field Advantage release date).

Hybrid Theory (Linkin Park - Demos From 02-2000)

- February, 2000.

Hybrid Theory "Demos" (9-track demo)

- February 11, 2000.

By Myself and Esaul (www.hybridtheory.com) - Hybrid Theory

- April 8, 2000 or before.

By Myself (Raw Power) - Hybrid Theory

- Sometime in 2000. Before May 22, 2000 (Outsidaz' The Bricks release date).

Linkin Park (6-track demo)

- May 8, 2000.

With You and Points of Authority (www.hybridtheory.com) - Linkin Park

- Between May 8, 2000 (date of the older "With You" demo we have) and June 8, 2000.

Linkin Park "Plaster" (David Kahne Mix 1 Of 4)

- June 2, 2000.

Now I See (Ozzfest Sampler 2000) - Hybrid Theory

- Sometime between June 20, 2000 (Deftones' White Pony release date) and July 11, 2000 (Snake River's Conspirancy's Sonic Jihad release date)

Linkin Park - Studio Finals 5/7/2000

- July 5, 2000.

One Step Closer (ECW: Anarchy Rocks) - Linkin Park

- "One Step Closer" was Mike Bucci's (aka Nova) ring entrance music during August-November 2000. The soundtrack CD was released on March 20, 2001.

By July 18, 2000, Hybrid Theory was already mixed/mastered.

The Rock Mix of "One Step Closer" dates from August 8, 2000.

One Step Closer was released as a single on September 28, 2000 (along with the new version of "High Voltage").

Hybrid Theory was released on October 24, 2000.

One Step Closer (Humble Brothers Remix)

- Released on November 20, 2001.

"One Step Closer" Humble Brothers Remixes

- February 2002.

Reanimation (8-track demo)

- January or February 2002.

The final version of "Pts.OF.Athrty" was released as a single on March 20, 2002.

Reanimation was released on July 30, 2002.

Edited by lpliveusername

Anyway, here's what I've got:

Hybrid Theory EP

- Rumored May 1, 1999.

Hybrid Theory 2-track demo (A Place For My Head (Esaul) and By Myself)

- Sometime in 1999.

Hybrid Theory 8-track demo

- Sometime between August 24, 1999 (High & Mighty's Home Field Advantage release date) and February, 2000.

Hybrid Theory (Linkin Park - Demos From 02-2000)

- February, 2000.

Hybrid Theory "Demos" (9-track demo)

- February 11, 2000.

By Myself and Esaul (www.hybridtheory.com) - Hybrid Theory

- April 8, 2000 or before.

By Myself (Raw Power) - Hybrid Theory

- Before May 22, 2000 (Outsidaz' The Bricks release date).

Linkin Park (6-track demo)

- May 8, 2000.

With You and Points of Authority (www.hybridtheory.com) - Linkin Park

- Between May 8, 2000 (date of the first "With You" demo we have) and June 8, 2000.

Linkin Park "Plaster" (David Kahne Mix 1 Of 4)

- June 2, 2000.

Now I See (Ozzfest Sampler 2000) - Hybrid Theory

- Sometime between June 20, 2000 (Deftones' White Pony release date) and July 11, 2000 (Snake River's Conspirancy's Sonic Jihad release date)

Linkin Park - Studio Finals 5/7/2000

- July 5, 2000.

One Step Closer (ECW: Anarchy Rocks) - Linkin Park

- March 20, 2001.

By July 18, 2000, Hybrid Theory was already mixed/mastered.

Where's HT 7 track version?