Live Setlists

[AndOne]

I think the band should be given the benefit of the doubt as far as rotating setlists goes at this point, they haven't played live in over a year and they have an entire album's worth of material that they're still getting acquainted with on stage. Nobody complained about the non-rotating setlists for the first couple months of the MTM touring cycle...oh wait, that's because they had never done it at that point, so nobody expected them to. It's just as ridiculous to expect the band to always rotate their setlists as it is to expect them to always do anything else (close shows with One Step Closer, make the same kind of music every time they do a new album, etc.).

Hey, everybody seems to think LP should just go back to being the same band they were in 2004, and they didn't rotate their setlists then, so maybe they're taking the advice of their fanbase! You guys should be excited! :P

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fan #1 - "Yes, they finally played With You again on tour and it was just as awesome as I remember it"

Fan #2 - "Yeah, I suppose, but I would've preferred if they played APFMH!"

Fan #1 - "But dude, they also finally played No Roads Left and it was totally badass!"

Fan #2 - "Yeah, but Across The Line would've be soooo much better to play than NRL"

Fan #1 - "Wow man, you're tough to please aren't you?"

Fan #2 - "Hey man, I paid my hard earned money for this ticket in the hope they'd play some of the older/rarer tracks instead of the same stuff they always play!"

Fan #1 - "You know what, you're right! Stay right there while I ask the other 20,000 people at this show if they agree with you!!!"

Morale of the story...there's no pleasing everyone and by everyone I mean the MILLIONS of LP fans around the world!

You want rotating setlists or classic songs like With You or A Place for my head??? Then watch the Live in Texas dvd or go on YouTube!

Rant over!

Fan #1 - "Yes, they finally played With You again on tour and it was just as awesome as I remember it"

Fan #1 - "But dude, they also finally played No Roads Left and it was totally badass!"

Fan #2 - "Yeah, but Across The Line would've be soooo much better to play than NRL"

Fan #2 - "Hey man, I paid my hard earned money for this ticket in the hope they'd play some of the older/rarer tracks instead of the same stuff they always play!"

Fan #1 - "You know what, you're right! Stay right there while I ask the other 20,000 people at this show if they agree with you!!!"

Morale of the story...there's no pleasing everyone and by everyone I mean the MILLIONS of LP fans around the world!

You want rotating setlists or classic songs like With You or A Place for my head??? Then watch the Live in Texas dvd or go on YouTube!

Rant over!

I love you so much right now.

i want to preface what i'm about to say by letting you all know that i am attending EIGHT shows this year...

but i still believe the choice of what to play is entirely up to the band and i can not agree to this :(

when creating a setlist - bands shouldn't be forced to think 'oh, but what if some of our fans are that committed they are coming to several shows... we should really cater to them'. think about it... those of us attending multiple shows are a minority. while i'd absolutely LOVE to see a different set played at each show - i know i can't expect that... so anything different that may happen will simply be a bonus in my eyes.

not sure if any of you are familiar with the aussie band silverchair? they were big in the states many years ago with their first two albums frogstomp and freak show... you may remember the singles 'tomorrow', 'israel's son', 'abuse me', 'freak' and maybe even 'ana's song (open fire)'. they recently charted again with their tracks 'straight lines' and 'the greatest view'.

i'm a bit of an obsessive fan of theirs too - and honest to god, in the last 2/3 years - their setlist has essentially remained the same... and i'm literally talking 2/3 years - not 2/3 shows.

i think LP have a pretty killer setlist with the one they are playing now... and i still think it's WAY early days to start panicking about it not rotating.

maybe we should wait before protesting? ;)

Edited by Narc85

not sure if any of you are familiar with the aussie band silverchair? they were big in the states many years ago with their first two albums frogstomp and freak show... you may remember the singles 'tomorrow', 'israel's son', 'abuse me', 'freak' and maybe even 'ana's song (open fire)'. they recently charted again with their tracks 'straight lines' and 'the greatest view'.

i'm a bit of an obsessive fan of theirs too - and honest to god, in the last 2/3 years - their setlist has essentially remained the same... and i'm literally talking 2/3 years - not 2/3 shows.

Define "essentially". During their peak touring period for Young Modern in 06-08, yes, they kept a similar structure to their set list, but there were quite a few song changes over that time.

I think for Linkin Park, at this early stage of the tour they need to have a consistent approach to how they promote A Thousand Suns (i.e. which ATS songs they play), but should be able to include variations in what older material is played.

And play Blackout in Australia. :)

Define "essentially". During their peak touring period for Young Modern in 06-08, yes, they kept a similar structure to their set list, but there were quite a few song changes over that time.

hehe, totally didn't expect anyone else from australia to pipe up about this ;)

the actual young modern tour was pretty good in terms of setlist - saw them at both perth shows and each were substantially different from the other - a few song changes as well as the order in which they were played... but after their joint tour with powderfinger - the sets were barely different - BDO through to groovin the moo - in fact, all groovin the moo shows were identical, except for the first two where they played young modern station at the beginning (pretty sure that song opened every show starting with the across the great divide tour?). saw them at all groovin' the moo shows and still enjoyed em heaps!

OK. How about when they play somewhere new and just play the "greatest hits setlist" and when they go to a place where they've played lots of times switch up some songs but don't take out new songs unless your switching from one new song to another as you should be promoting a new album. I know lots of bands that don't changed their setlists throughout a tour bit if they play something like 2/3 nights at one place then they do switch up the setlist for that place. For example Slipknot in 2008 played 3 nights at the Hammersmith Apollo and they changed 1/2 songs around so if people were coming to the shows they didn't see the same show twice. KoRn who have been playing a pretty much constant set on theor current European tour have been switching some songs around but it's only small like 1-3 but to some people that makes all the difference especially when prives have been raised. If a band is playing the same venue a couple of nights in a row they should switch it up because other wise unless all of the shows are sold out the need for another show isn't really justified.

LP probably won't come back and do another European tour like this one they'll probably just do the festival circuit so some people are bound to lose out as some countries don't have big festivals that LP are likely to play at so they would not be able to take advantage from this if LP do rotate sets next year.

I'm not having a go at the setlist I like it but having variety wouldn't hurt and it amkes it so the set feels less stale.

Edited by AGumby

The argument that because a lot of fans who are attending more than one LP show on this particular European tour warrants a rotating set list doesn't hold much weight like i said before because those group of fans are such a small percentage in comparison to the group of fans who are attending only one show. Each show on this particular European tour has a larger group of different fans for each show which makes the current set list okay because there is always going to be the larger group who don't belong on any fansite perusing LP's set list for which the show will be a surprise to them. All the people complaining are called the vocal minority. They are not the majority but because they scream the loudest, it seems like they are much greater than they actually are.

Another thing that grates on my nerves is the whole "do something for the hardcore fans and play more Hybrid Theory" or the typical whine "play some more old stuff" speil. WTF? Besides the fact that this is all just the whole wanting-what-you-don't-have syndrome at play, since when did Crawling, Papercut, One Step Closer & In the End become new stuff? And since when did hardcore fans become the term to describe the fans who only want LP to play non-single stuff from Hybrid Theory & Meteora which is what the bitching is really about.

And at the end of the day, every fans ideal set list is so diverse due to everyone's personal taste and preference, it is pointless to even debate what sort of set list would be an improvement because they are biased. For example, my ideal set list involves the band playing all of A Thousand Suns with nothing from Meteora except Breaking the Habit & Easier to Run, and everything from MTM with the exception of In Between, Given Up, Shadow of the Day, & Leave Out All The Rest and from HT, Only Crawling, Papercut, Pushing me Away and A Place For My Head. My set list is biased because i prefer Chester's singing voice over his screaming voice so the songs i want reflects that. And i consider Meteora to be their worst album so it reflects on my setlist. I also think ATS is their best so my set list reflects that too. And so on and so on so ideal set list? Nonexistent.

Once the band returns to the states, i plan to attend more than one show simply because ATS has got me pumped to see it performed live. Do i expect the band to cater to me? Not really. It would be nice if they did something that i wanted.

And if people feel so passionate about the set list, how about posing your suggestions to the band at M&Gs and see what happens. They've played songs requested by fans before at a M&G so you never know.

If LP decided to play another European tour next year, then i say the need for a rotating set -list with an altered set list is warranted to some degree. But, people will still bitch about it anyways which is all cool and predictable at this point.

Bitch bitch moan moan... Be grateful most you guys have at least BEEN to a Linkin Park concert because they travel to your country a thousand and one times a year.

Get off your high chairs. Jesus.

u know u can fly out to the place where LP is playing at

since i live in California i went to shanghai china to go see them play

just saying

Oh jeez... I'm pulling out the Advil now...

Some of you need counseling/medication, but I digress.

Just because you haven't been to a Linkin Park show, doesn't mean other fans can't hope for rotating setlists. I've only been to one show... in 2004, when their setlists were cool, and I still want rotating sets. Makes it more interesting. I can totally understand if they wait until 2011, why not get used to the new songs and transitions. No offense, but trading a few songs in and out of the set, isn't that hard. People are acting like its going to take hours of planning to trade a few songs around in the set. Unless they are completely inept at playing live, this is not true.

Another thing that grates on my nerves is the whole "do something for the hardcore fans and play more Hybrid Theory" or the typical whine "play some more old stuff" speil. WTF? Besides the fact that this is all just the whole wanting-what-you-don't-have syndrome at play, since when did Crawling, Papercut, One Step Closer & In the End become new stuff? And since when did hardcore fans become the term to describe the fans who only want LP to play non-single stuff from Hybrid Theory & Meteora which is what the bitching is really about.

Anybody who collects and trades live audio... The very foundation of what this website was built on, will tell you that we all got sick of hearing those four singles from HT 3 or so years ago. Where is With You, Runaway, By Myself, and A Place For My Head? The reason they say this is because they've played 3 out of the 4 songs you've mentioned at nearly every show since 2001.

I, and others have admitted we want less singles in the set. We are entitled to want what we don't have until we get it... And most of us realize we all won't get what we want too.

And at the end of the day, every fans ideal set list is so diverse due to everyone's personal taste and preference, it is pointless to even debate what sort of set list would be an improvement because they are biased. For example, my ideal set list involves the band playing all of A Thousand Suns with nothing from Meteora except Breaking the Habit & Easier to Run, and everything from MTM with the exception of In Between, Given Up, Shadow of the Day, & Leave Out All The Rest and from HT, Only Crawling, Papercut, Pushing me Away and A Place For My Head. My set list is biased because i prefer Chester's singing voice over his screaming voice so the songs i want reflects that. And i consider Meteora to be their worst album so it reflects on my setlist. I also think ATS is their best so my set list reflects that too. And so on and so on so ideal set list? Nonexistent.

LOL, thats the whole point of rotating setlists. So they hit as much of the fanbase as possible with what they want. I beleive there used to be a thread for completely unrealistic custom setlists, like the one you described. We are not asking for impossible songs to be played, we are asking for rotating setlists, which they have done before.

If LP decided to play another European tour next year, then i say the need for a rotating set -list with an altered set list is warranted to some degree. But, people will still bitch about it anyways which is all cool and predictable at this point.

People will always bitch... Yes.

when linkin park is onstage 5 feet in front of me, i couldnt give a shit less if they rotate thier setlists. all this talk about giving the band notes or harassing them online is kind of weird

So giving the band a note at a fan M&G, or asking them to rotate sets on their websites is harrassment? Dear God...

Rant over!

Oh cool. Your rant is spam. What does it have to do with rotating setlists?

I've already stated my opinion in another thread.

I think it's very rude and disrespectful for people to be demanding a different setlist. Yeah, it would be pretty awesome for them to rotate it and add some new shit..but the bottom line is it's not their fault that you are attending multiple shows for a tour.

Their setlist IS new and different. If their setlist was the same for 10 years on different tours, then I would understand. If you don't like the setlist, stop going to the multiple shows.

If you enjoy going to the multiple shows, then appreciate what you have. That's simple math, really.

I thought they'd appreciate how some fans have been touched by there music enough to come to multiple shows. Who the hell are you to tell people what they can and can't want? Oh man... that head ache's kicking in now.

there are fans that haven't heard "numb" live even once because of geographic and various other reasons and you guys are complaining about them playing the same ~25 songs in your area... there are more important things to consider. Plus a casual fan would rather hear "in the end" then "with you". it's about making the most people happy, and singles do the job. it's the fact of the business.

Like I've said... I've only been to one show and I still want rotating setlists. I'm sorry if you haven't been to a show yet, but that doesn't mean we all can't want something for the people who are going. (Or for those who collect the DSPs and live audio, like myself)

My opinion is: let wealthy children cry !!! Posted Image

This is the classic whim of a wealthy child, mooom !!! i want that LP made a Rotate Setlist pleasee, moooom !!!

Enjoy the Shows and Shut Up !!! Linkin Park is not the classic band that change the setlist in every show!!! Did you not learned ? This band have 10 years, 10 years making similar Setlists, stop cry kids...

This is so stupid...

Oh look, the classic cry of a kid who has never been to a Linkin Park show, and therefore can't even say if the same set would get boring or not many nights in a row.

--------------------------

Ok, I don't want to quote anyone else. But just because we want them to rotate sets doesn't make us ungrateful. And just because you don't want it, doesn't mean others everywhere don't.

Oh jeez... I'm pulling out the Advil now...

Some of you need counseling/medication, but I digress.

Just because you haven't been to a Linkin Park show, doesn't mean other fans can't hope for rotating setlists. I've only been to one show... in 2004, when their setlists were cool, and I still want rotating sets. Makes it more interesting. I can totally understand if they wait until 2011, why not get used to the new songs and transitions. No offense, but trading a few songs in and out of the set, isn't that hard. People are acting like its going to take hours of planning to trade a few songs around in the set. Unless they are completely inept at playing live, this is not true.

Anybody who collects and trades live audio... The very foundation of what this website was built on, will tell you that we all got sick of hearing those four singles from HT 3 or so years ago. Where is With You, Runaway, By Myself, and A Place For My Head? The reason they say this is because they've played 3 out of the 4 songs you've mentioned at nearly every show since 2001.

I, and others have admitted we want less singles in the set. We are entitled to want what we don't have until we get it... And most of us realize we all won't get what we want too.

LOL, thats the whole point of rotating setlists. So they hit as much of the fanbase as possible with what they want. I beleive there used to be a thread for completely unrealistic custom setlists, like the one you described. We are not asking for impossible songs to be played, we are asking for rotating setlists, which they have done before.

People will always bitch... Yes.

So giving the band a note at a fan M&G, or asking them to rotate sets on their websites is harrassment? Dear God...

Oh cool. Your rant is spam. What does it have to do with rotating setlists?

I thought they'd appreciate how some fans have been touched by there music enough to come to multiple shows. Who the hell are you to tell people what they can and can't want? Oh man... that head ache's kicking in now.

Like I've said... I've only been to one show and I still want rotating setlists. I'm sorry if you haven't been to a show yet, but that doesn't mean we all can't want something for the people who are going. (Or for those who collect the DSPs and live audio, like myself)

Oh look, the classic cry of a kid who has never been to a Linkin Park show, and therefore can't even say if the same set would get boring or not many nights in a row.

--------------------------

Ok, I don't want to quote anyone else. But just because we want them to rotate sets doesn't make us ungrateful. And just because you don't want it, doesn't mean others everywhere don't.

It's not that people can't want what they want or have opinions, it's that they're never happy with anything and the whining just seems kind of immature. And about changing setlists, planning intros and outros do take work believe it or not.

I know its kind of random, but I think they should do something like this!

Play whatever show how they want and close it, then when the encore pops up Mike say his little 'How many old school LP fans do we have in the house?' then just start:

ENCORE:

With You

By Myself

Runaway

Pushing Me Away

In the End

2nd Encore :

A Place for My Head

One Step Closer

Or some other way but thats just the gist of my idea.

I know its kind of random, but I think they should do something like this!

Play whatever show how they want and close it, then when the encore pops up Mike say his little 'How many old school LP fans do we have in the house?' then just start:

ENCORE:

With You

By Myself

Runaway

Pushing Me Away

In the End

2nd Encore :

A Place for My Head

One Step Closer

Or some other way but thats just the gist of my idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did that for the 10th anniversary, but at an average show, they won't play 7 songs in a row from Hybrid Theory. lol that just won't happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did that for the 10th anniversary, but at an average show, they won't play 7 songs in a row from Hybrid Theory. lol that just won't happen.

not to mention that would rid off the songs from meteora and you would have meteora's fans complaining and yelling about...

I dont usually have a problem with setlists. Out of the three times ive seen LP (check my links in my signature) they have all been completely different from each other besides what songs they closed with. I always thought Set c was the most boring set they ever created.

The majority of the people that go to the shows, they are not friki fans like us, they expect to heard the most popular songs, i.e the singles. And in the other side is LP that want to play the new stuff. We, the friki fans, are just a small variable in the final equation.

The majority of the people that go to the shows, they are not friki fans like us, they expect to heard the most popular songs, i.e the singles. And in the other side is LP that want to play the new stuff. We, the friki fans, are just a small variable in the final equation.

This. LP is a band I follow religiously (haha over 500 LP songs on my iPod o.O). Most bands that I see live, I know a lot of their songs, but I'd like to hear the ones that I know well (like when I saw Bullet For My Valentine, etc.) since concerts are soooo much more fun when you know the songs. Out of a stadium of 20000+ people, they can't cater only to fans like us.

This. LP is a band I follow religiously (haha over 500 LP songs on my iPod o.O). Most bands that I see live, I know a lot of their songs, but I'd like to hear the ones that I know well (like when I saw Bullet For My Valentine, etc.) since concerts are soooo much more fun when you know the songs. Out of a stadium of 20000+ people, they can't cater only to fans like us.

Agree with ya!

/flame

fixed it

Unless you go multiple times within, oh say a week or 2, not rotating the setlists shouldn't present a problem. Now, if they kept the same over the years and only put in 4 more songs with each album, then complain. Yes, I'd love to see a rotating setlist, but it's no grounds for going and attacking other LPL fans.