2014.08.26 - Falcon Heights, MN, Minnesota State Fair

LPLive is back from their run on Carnivores Tour, so we thought we'd stop in and do a preshow post! Kudos to Soul for his excellent work on the tour and we are looking forward to having him continue on with us throughout the touring cycle.

On the 26th, Linkin Park, 30 Seconds To Mars and AFI take the Carnivores Tour to St. Paul, Minnesota to the Minnesota State Fair for the 12th show of the tour! Since there are only 25 shows on this tour, we'll just call this show the halfway point on the tour! Linkin Park is no stranger to Minnesota, having played there seven times before this show since the year 2000.

Since Falcon Heights is essentially just a TINY city where the fair is being held and St. Paul is super close to Minneapolis, Linkin Park has performed in this general area quite often, hitting it on every touring cycle in support of each album. The first appearance came in August 2000 with Union Underground at Ryan's in St. Paul, with a followup show at The Lab/4th Street Station in St. Paul in December with Papa Roach. Their first headlining show in the area came on the Street Soldiers Tour the following year, when they played the Quest Club in Minneapolis. A second 2001 show came in St. Paul on Family Values Tour, where Linkin Park opened for Stone Temple Pilots.

Returning with Meteora, Linkin Park headlined Quest Club once again on the LP Underground Tour (a city that was lucky enough to have a fanclub show) before Summer Sanitarium played the Metrodome that summer in July. Finally, LP returned for an arena show at St. Paul's Xcel Center in January 2004. They played the area just twice for the next two albums, but at the same venue. The Xcel Center got a show in February 2008 for Minutes To Midnight and a show in January 2011 for A Thousand Suns. Like many states and/or cities, it was skipped on the short Honda Civic Tour in 2012, but the band is back for The Hunting Party! And a shoutout to Astat, who will be in attendance at this show!

They are also no stranger to performing at special events like the Minnesota State Fair on their headlining tours. All the way back on Projekt Revolution 2007, the band took the tour by the New York State Fair in Syracuse, NY. In 2011, Projekt Revolution in Europe was held in Oberursel, Germany during Hessentag, a state fair in Germany. This will also be the fourth different venue in four shows for Linkin Park. Darien Center was at an amphitheatre, Montreal was at an open-air park, Toronto was in an arena, and this show will be at a fair grandstand.
So far on this tour, we have been seeing two setlists, which is slightly different than what we have been used to in the past with three sets. Unfortunately it seems that a third Set C will not come on Carnivores, but perhaps the band will return with one for the European Tour in November. Reading My Eyes did pop up over Bleed It Out in Darien Center for the LPU Summit, so as far as "specialties" during this tour, that's probably all we are going to get (probably the same will happen at Woodlands as well).
A few audience recordings have popped up from this tour (Bristow and Darien Center) so check those out in the forums if you're interested. Doors for the fair open at 6:00am (good luck, fans!) and you have to pay $13 just to enter the fair (on top of your concert ticket), so this show undoubtedly is the most expensive one of the tour.
After St. Paul, the band performs in Winnipeg on the 27th for the first time ever, before performing in Tinley Park, IL and Clarkston, MI for back-to-back shows that lead into a week break from the tour. For the full 2014 touring schedule, click here.

...Well, this is certainly the earliest I've ever woken up for an LP show. I blame LuLu's and their new breakfast juicy lucy sandwiches. :lol:

If anybody wants to meet up, I'm sure most of you generally have an idea what I look like (glances at profile pic...), but I'll be wearing a black Fort Minor t-shirt, jeans, and (knockoff) chucks.

Not sure if I'll live tweet everything tonight, but I know Set B, so I'll mention anything significant that happens.

...Well, this is certainly the earliest I've ever woken up for an LP show. I blame LuLu's and their new breakfast juicy lucy sandwiches. :lol:

If anybody wants to meet up, I'm sure most of you generally have an idea what I look like (glances at profile pic...), but I'll be wearing a black Fort Minor t-shirt, jeans, and (knockoff) chucks.

Not sure if I'll live tweet everything tonight, but I know Set B, so I'll mention anything significant that happens.

I'm a teenager, about 5.10, dirty blonde hair, pretty pal, i will be wearing a all black linkin park shirt so u can barely even tell it says linkin park and blue shorts. Somebody tell me if they see me.

LP is starting Mashup intro now.

Setlist B. Numb/Encore at the end of Numb. Castle Of Glass Experience. POA over Until It's Gone intro. DOYS at the start and end of Lying From You. Mike went in the pit on In The End.

Edited by Lonewolf818

Awesome concert, I got to go on stage with 30STM!! AFI was really good they had a lot of energy and sounded good, 30 seconds to mars, Jared is a great entartainer, he touched me when I went on stage with them, and LP absouletely killed it, they sounded amazing, had a ton of energy, the songs that were the best live were GATS, With You, Somewhere I belong and Final Masquerade. Fucking awesome.

I've been going since 5:30 AM on 4 hours of sleep, so I'll keep this short, full review coming tomorrow:

Standard Set B tonight, with the exception of a false start on Mike's solo medley. Something got screwed up with the samples during the intro, prompting a confused look from Mike. When the Wretches and Kings verse would normally start, he waved to the side of the stage to stop (I'm assuming to Tater, since he controls all of the click tracks and backing tracks). Started the whole thing over. Also, there was an extended Mike/Brad guitar interplay thing based on the chord progression from The Catalyst after Rob's drum solo, don't recall hearing that before (this was all before Chester even came back on stage to start the vocal part from The Catalyst). Fireworks at the end of the show, too.

Oh, and I was the "guy in the front row in the Fort Minor shirt" that Mike gave a shoutout to during Remember the Name. :D

I think I was the only one jumping to Guilty All The Same. I see what people have been saying about the crowd's reaction.

This was definitely the best concert I've been to! PR08 was a close 2nd. The bands all had a lot of energy.

I wish I had more energy when LP was playing. I had a bad stomach ache. I didn't have much to eat all day prior to the show. It was hard for me to sing.

I can't even just review the show, I have to like...review my entire day yesterday, lol.

So my wife and I got up at the totally reasonable time of 5:30 in the fucking morning yesterday...running on about 4 hours of sleep. The fair opens at 6 AM and parking is a nightmare if you don't get there early, so we did exactly that. We got there at about 8 and were lucky enough to get in one of the parking lots right behind the Grandstand. As an aside, I have to say this was easily the most expensive concert experience ever. $81 a piece for two pit tickets, plus $13 a piece for fair admission, plus ANOTHER $13 for parking. We were over $200 into this by the time we got in the door, and it's the fucking state fair, so you know we spent a shit ton of money on food and stuff throughout the day too. We had about $80 cash when we walked in (after covering admission/parking, mind you)...we walked out with $18.50, lol.

Anyway, we spent the first part of the day doing your standard state fair stuff. Ate a bunch of food that will likely kill us one day, rode a couple rides, looked at adorable animals...etc. Doors for the show were at 5:30, we got in line between 2 and 2:30. Listened to soundcheck, Pooch was playing a recent live recording of Guilty All the Same to test things out, it was interesting hearing him pull various layers out of the song to hear different things. Then the crew started soundchecking the actual instruments, got to hear the traditional "roadie jam" on Faint (bummed Sean isn't around to be part of it anymore though!), heard some other interesting things like the beat from Wretches and Kings too. Met Lonewolf818 while we were waiting, and Lorenzo came down and chatted with us for a while. Both awesome dudes. We got some flyers for those creepily-realistic LP figurines too. Once the doors opened, we were among the first people to get in, and we ended up one "row" back from the barricade on Brad's side of the stage. The two girls in front of us happened to only be there for AFI, and offered us their barricade spots once they left after AFI's set. Score!

AFI was supposed to go on at 6:30. At approximately 6:22, a girl a few feet to the right of us had a seizure and went down. Security/medical staff were there almost immediately, and she seemed to be doing alright, but they still had to get her out of there. I saw about 3 or 4 people taking pictures of the girl with their smartphones while she was laying on the ground. Humanity fucking disgusts me. But what REALLY bothered me about the whole situation was that the whole crew had walkie talkies and were talking on them, so I assumed AFI's set would be delayed a few minutes while they got her out. While she's still on the ground, the house lights go out, and AFI's intro starts. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that the info didn't get relayed backstage in time to put the show on hold, but AFI didn't make any effort whatsoever to acknowledge this poor girl who was laying on the ground in the middle of the pit with EMS workers around her during their first couple songs. There's no fucking way they didn't see her, she was literally no more than 5 feet back from the barricade directly in front of Hunter and Davey, and it was still broad daylight at the start of AFI's set. As a musician, I understand the whole "don't stop a song in front of an audience" thing, but you'd think they'd finish the first song and then wait for her to get out before continuing...just really bugged me.

Anyway, questionable move of continuing the concert aside, AFI put on a good show. All 4 of those guys have fantastic stage presence, and they do a semi-decent job of playing their parts correctly while executing said stage presence. Jade hit a few clunkers on his guitar parts here and there and Hunter's bass was cutting out for the first couple songs, but that was about it. Setlist was apparently the same one they've been playing going by the printed setlist on stage, although I swear I remember there being two songs between I Hope You Suffer and Love Like Winter...? Does Medicate have a big pause in the middle of it or something? Not familiar with that song, so maybe I thought it was 2. I also swear 17 Crimes was played AFTER The Days of the Phoenix...but I went completely off of memory when I tweeted the setlist afterwards. I'm not too familiar with AFI's material outside of the Black Sails in the Sunset through Decemberunderground period (how I didn't recognize The Days of the Phoenix at first, I don't know!), so that may have been fucking with me. Also, Davey did a great job of singing in tune, with one IRRITATING AS FUCK exception. I remember back when Decemberunderground came out, I saw AFI do a live TV performance of Miss Murder, and Davey sounded like shit. He was also singing the chorus wrong, on the "can I"/"if I" lines, he was singing "I" a half step lower than the previous word, when it's supposed to be the same note. It sounded out-of-tune and terrible to the point of almost ruining the song. I chalked it up to him sounding like crap overall and having a bad night. Fast forward to EIGHT YEARS LATER...and HE STILL SINGS IT THAT WAY. How the fuck do you go that long without noticing that you're singing the chorus to the biggest hit of your career flat-out wrong?! Completely stumped on that one, as he literally sounded great throughout the entire rest of the set.

Oh, one other thing, during the last part of Miss Murder, Hunter didn't realize he was standing on Davey's microphone cable...Davey tried to run over to the other side of the stage and it was kind of like that cartoony dog-on-a-leash-tries-to-run-away thing, except he didn't actually fall over. They both had a good laugh about that.

...Damn, this is a long post. I'm gonna split this into two parts and post the rest tomorrow.

Edited by Astat

AFI was supposed to go on at 6:30. At approximately 6:22, a girl a few feet to the right of us had a seizure and went down. Security/medical staff were there almost immediately, and she seemed to be doing alright, but they still had to get her out of there. I saw about 3 or 4 people taking pictures of the girl with their smartphones while she was laying on the ground. Humanity fucking disgusts me. But what REALLY bothered me about the whole situation was that the whole crew had walkie talkies and were talking on them, so I assumed AFI's set would be delayed a few minutes while they got her out. While she's still on the ground, the house lights go out, and AFI's intro starts. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that the info didn't get relayed backstage in time to put the show on hold, but AFI didn't make any effort whatsoever to acknowledge this poor girl who was laying on the ground in the middle of the pit with EMS workers around her during their first couple songs. There's no fucking way they didn't see her, she was literally no more than 5 feet back from the barricade directly in front of Hunter and Davey, and it was still broad daylight at the start of AFI's set. As a musician, I understand the whole "don't stop a song in front of an audience" thing, but you'd think they'd finish the first song and then wait for her to get out before continuing...just really bugged me.

I agree with you on Davey. It surprised me AFI wasn't delayed, but like you said, the info probably didn't get back on time. At least Chester thanked the security for helping a girl that got knocked down, on the right side of the stage.

Was it just my hearing, or did Mike's voice sound higher pitch than normal? My ears were kinda plugged from sinus pressure.

I noticed Brad had his back to the crowd during the chorus of New Divide, and started walking away for a bit. Was he looking at a cheat sheet or what?

I believe I was the only one dancing to the Recharged part of COG. I don't think anyone else sang the vocals for Robot Roy and Blackout.

A good majority of the crowd weren't big fans, and/or haven't seen LP prior. One girl I was talking to didn't know anything about Recharged and couldn't remember what her favorite album is called. The crowd seemed shocked during the shortened songs. Not expecting it. Seemed like the crowd had a better reaction to 30STM than LP. Jared really got the entire crowd going, and even went back to the seating area getting those people pumped. The jumbo water balloons and confetti was pretty cool. It would have been cool going on the stage with them, but glad I didn't. I got a closer spot to the stage when before LP started.

Brad is notorious at turning his back to the crowd and walking away during the entire show. Strange that no one got into Castle of Dance, at all the shows I saw the place may not have known it but still exploded. And yes, the shortened songs really confuse and irritate the crowd.

Brad gives zero fucks about the shows these days. In Tampa, he was about two inches from the edge of the stage (marked by green tape at that one) for over half the show. He constantly walks off the stage during songs to get drinks or talk to his guitar tech, hangs out in spots that are semi close to the edge of the stage, and looks like he gives zero fucks about anything other than Burn It Down, Castle of Dance (where after a few shows he started coming out and dancing to, wtf), and the end of Blackout where he air guitars like a madman (still don't know if he plays anything there but if he does, it's COMPLETELY muted during the shows because I watched it at 9 straight performances all over the crowd in various spots and heard NADA). He seems to hate Given Up and I know for a fact he's the reason they refuse to play any older Hybrid Theory songs. Really wish they'd kick some sense into him or tell him to grow up. He looks like a statue for most of every concert these days and looks like he hates being a part of the show. And adding to that, the M&G experiences.... he'll run down the line opposite to how everyone else in LP goes (if LP goes from left to right, Brad goes right to left), signing as fast as possible and then LEAVES ASAP. Ridiculous.

I didn't notice that Brad wasn't very into the show, but I have noticed in recent times through videos that he seems not very into it. He looked like he was having a blast back in 2007/2008, the Honda Civic Tour, etc. Maybe he just doesn't like the heavy shit. We know he doesn't like APFMH. We know that Mike basically had to force him to start writing heavy shit for the new album, etc.

It is pretty shitty what Brad does at the M&G's, he did that at all 3 of the M&G's I attended on this tour. However he did talk to me when I asked him to sign my copy of mmm...cookies and he said it was awesome and that he loved it. Lol. But he was definitely very quick. The rest of the guys take their time and chat with you, especially Chester and Phoenix, it seemed like.

I really am into the COG Recharged part of the set, I absolutely loved it and exploded when they played it at my shows. So much energy and that beat is just insanely awesome.

Castle of Dance (where after a few shows he started coming out and dancing to, wtf)

He's been doing that since Lisbon, you can see him in the video. Probably stopped doing it for a while when he hurt his back, but it's his "normal" thing until his guitar part comes in near the end.

and the end of Blackout where he air guitars like a madman (still don't know if he plays anything there but if he does, it's COMPLETELY muted during the shows because I watched it at 9 straight performances all over the crowd in various spots and heard NADA).

I can clearly hear Brad's guitar on every decent quality recording of 2014 performances of Blackout...it's one note strummed at a constant rhythm, but it's there. Not even particularly quiet compared to some of his other guitar parts (Castle of Glass, WID outro where he's playing something completely different from the album version now), either.