Linkin Park "Guitar Center Sessions" in LA 10/24

hahninator

Thanks to our good friend Ryan from Reflecting In The Chrome (an epic database of live Nine Inch Nails recordings) for this news piece!

Linkin Park will be performing at The Wiltern in Los Angeles, CA on October 24th at 8:00pm for Guitar Center Sessions. It will be aired on DirecTV on December 12th at 9:00pm. This show is billed as a concert/celebration for Guitar Center's 50th Anniversary.

gts2.jpg

(Larger version)

It is unknown how long the band will perform for. In comparison, Skylar Grey's Guitar Center Sessions set was just six songs. It is expected that a method to win tickets (LPU?) will be announced soon. This show will come the day before the Scottsdale, AZ performance for the 'Stars Of The Season' gala and will come right after Linkin Park gets back from Brazil for two shows. For the full 2014 tour schedule, click here.

We should see more THP songs after Carnivores Tour. At least ALITS would be nice!

Best post that I have seen in a while. I'd love to hear more of their actual NEW album, instead of old songs from 15 years ago. There are so many good songs on the album that they haven't played yet.

Linkin Park's playing Guitar Center Sessions, and most of Brad Delson's solos sound like a 15 year-old "I've been playing for 6 months, CHECK OUT MY WICKED TREMOLO PICKING" pseudo-shredder at Guitar Center. Fitting.

Linkin Park's playing Guitar Center Sessions, and most of Brad Delson's solos sound like a 15 year-old "I've been playing for 6 months, CHECK OUT MY WICKED TREMOLO PICKING" pseudo-shredder at Guitar Center. Fitting.

I guess you mean his live solos, especially Faint, it's one of the worst solos ever, it's like only a level higher than Lil Wayne and Fred Durst solos. But I must admit that his solos on the album sounds amazing, and WID solo live sounds awesome too.

I guess you mean his live solos, especially Faint, it's one of the worst solos ever, it's like only a level higher than Lil Wayne and Fred Durst solos. But I must admit that his solos on the album sounds amazing, and WID solo live sounds awesome too.

Yeah his new stuff is actually good and I don't have to defend it like his old soloing. What he's done with What I've Done (pun intended) is great, and they need extended solos on other songs like UIG.

Does joelp have a second account? Have you heard Shadow Of The Day or In Pieces?? Have you heard Keys To The Kingdom, All For Nothing, Guilty All The Same, War or A Line In The Sand??

C'mon I think that we all know at this point that Brad is far from being a guitar god. Being great on a studio record doesn't prove anything. He was insanely bad at the West Palm Beach show, he fucked up all sorts of stuff, the final masquerade solo, the until it's gone solo. He could be a lot better if he wasn't so lazy.

We talked about it a lot during our trip and we all pretty much agreed on that Brad seems to be the most bored person in the band, Numb and Burn It Down are his highlights of the shows, and pushing buttons seems to be more fun to him than playing guitar.

You've been to the M&G's too, Brad is the first person to disappear, he randomly starts to sign stuff if you don't hold something up in time.

At the Darien M&G, he popped up out of nowhere between 2 other band members (Mike and Dave i think) and signed my picture. Very shortly after that he came back to get to the person that was blocked by one of the other band members (while he was signing my stuff). He accidentally skipped over Preston on my left, Brad just grabbed my summit pass and signed that aaaand he was gone again. Now my summit pass is ruined by Brads lazy signature lmao.

Does joelp have a second account? Have you heard Shadow Of The Day or In Pieces?? Have you heard Keys To The Kingdom, All For Nothing, Guilty All The Same, War or A Line In The Sand??

The Shadow of the Day solo requires MAYBE a month's worth of experience playing guitar to play accurately. You move your fretting hand ONCE during the entire thing. It still sounds cool though, so I'd give Brad credit for coming up with it...except Chester wrote it on piano first. In Pieces is sort of cool...and Brad absolutely butchered it 100% of the time that song was performed live. Keys to the Kingdom is mostly good but has a random string of "SHIT WHAT KEY AM I IN AGAIN?!" chromatic notes in the middle of the solo that should have been overdubbed with something that actually makes sense. All For Nothing...hey, that's a well-thought-out solo that establishes a theme and actually progresses somewhere with it. Props where they're due. The solos in both Guilty All the Same and War are exactly what I described in my previous post: Playing as fast as possible with no regard for rhythm, key, or phrasing ("puking notes" is a common term for this), and then using a bunch of wacky effects pedals to somewhat cover up how sloppy it sounds (and making it next to impossible to actually make out what's being played to boot). A Line in the Sand...well, it's not tremolo picking, it's mostly single string two-hand tapping runs, a.k.a. that other trick that novice guitarists love to use to make people think they're better than they are. Brad's left hand literally repeats one motion over and over throughout the end of that solo and he moves his right hand around to change the notes he's pulling off from. Woohoo. If Brad got a guitar with a Floyd Rose and started doing divebombs, he'd have the trifecta of no-skill-required guitar tricks that impress people who know nothing about actually playing guitar. Surprised you didn't mention Mark the Graves, which actually contains not one, but two of his better solos.

I suppose you'll come back with your standard argument that this is all just my opinion though...and you'd most likely be right. It also happens to be an opinion that's backed up by 13 years of playing guitar being my number one passion in life.

Great post, I actually agree with a lot of it (even though I'm 14 :P). To be fair I've played for 4 years now so I'm above the level of "I CAN TREMOLO PICK LOOK AT ME!"

To be fair, I feel that the Faint solo until about 2009 was at least somewhat more 'advanced' but since then it's really gone down hill. AFN and FM's solos sound like the only ones that actually contribute to the overall context of the song. I'd even say MTG's could apply to that. The rest of them sound over the place, KTTK, GATS, even War could still have been interesting without their solos (though I guess War kinda packs everything that genre has into it). They could definitely be more thought out, or even played with regards of key and rhythm.

The Shadow of the Day solo requires MAYBE a month's worth of experience playing guitar to play accurately. You move your fretting hand ONCE during the entire thing. It still sounds cool though, so I'd give Brad credit for coming up with it...except Chester wrote it on piano first. In Pieces is sort of cool...and Brad absolutely butchered it 100% of the time that song was performed live. Keys to the Kingdom is mostly good but has a random string of "SHIT WHAT KEY AM I IN AGAIN?!" chromatic notes in the middle of the solo that should have been overdubbed with something that actually makes sense. All For Nothing...hey, that's a well-thought-out solo that establishes a theme and actually progresses somewhere with it. Props where they're due. The solos in both Guilty All the Same and War are exactly what I described in my previous post: Playing as fast as possible with no regard for rhythm, key, or phrasing ("puking notes" is a common term for this), and then using a bunch of wacky effects pedals to somewhat cover up how sloppy it sounds (and making it next to impossible to actually make out what's being played to boot). A Line in the Sand...well, it's not tremolo picking, it's mostly single string two-hand tapping runs, a.k.a. that other trick that novice guitarists love to use to make people think they're better than they are. Brad's left hand literally repeats one motion over and over throughout the end of that solo and he moves his right hand around to change the notes he's pulling off from. Woohoo. If Brad got a guitar with a Floyd Rose and started doing divebombs, he'd have the trifecta of no-skill-required guitar tricks that impress people who know nothing about actually playing guitar. Surprised you didn't mention Mark the Graves, which actually contains not one, but two of his better solos.

I suppose you'll come back with your standard argument that this is all just my opinion though...and you'd most likely be right. It also

happens to be an opinion that's backed up by 13 years of playing guitar being my number one passion in life.

Does having 13 years of guitar playing experience mean anything? Brad has had more than 13 years experience but apparently he sucks as a guitarist.

Edited by Jozzie

Does having 13 years of guitar playing experience mean anything? Brad has had more than 13 years experience but apparently he sucks as a guitarist.

As someone who plays guitar since the age of 6 (23 now) I can tell you that playing for a long time doesn't mean shit. I think I play way worse than I did when I was 15. It's all about practice. If you don't keep up with your technique and practice the proper way, 50 years of just playing won't help you.

Edited by graveguard

I suppose you'll come back with your standard argument that this is all just my opinion though...and you'd most likely be right. It also happens to be an opinion that's backed up by 13 years of playing guitar being my number one passion in life.

You know what? You know a LOT about guitar, probably more than any member on this site. So I respect and value your opinion. I do think that Brad is a good guitarist, but to each their own.

I suppose you'll come back with your standard argument that this is all just my opinion though...and you'd most likely be right. It also happens to be an opinion that's backed up by 13 years of playing guitar being my number one passion in life

How good are you? Can you play things like Canon rock Jerry C version?

As someone who plays guitar since the age of 6 (23 now) I can tell you that playing for a long time doesn't mean shit. I think I play way worse than I did when I was 15. It's all about practice. If you don't keep up with your technique and practice the proper way, 50 years of just playing won't help you.

total truth, man!

How good are you? Can you play things like Canon rock Jerry C version?

total truth, man!

Dude, he plays in a band. And he is famous for all of his covers on YouTube. He knows what he is talking about, he is very good.

Edited by Geki