Relief Live: Linkin Park & Friends (Honoring Steve Aoki)

hahninator

Our friends at MikeShinodaClan are on top of it...and we have a new live date!

aoki2.jpg

"To celebrate Music For Relief’s ten years of philanthropy a special performance and ceremony an event has been announced – Relief Live! is taking place on November 14, 2015 at LA River Studios in Los Angeles, CA.

Relief Live! will see Linkin Park perform and also Steve Aoki is being honoured for his humanitarian efforts, he matched donations made by fans in wake of 2013’s Typhoon Haiyan, as well as his commitment to neuroscience research and animal rights.

Tickets are $250 and can be brought on MFR – Relief Live!"

Who is going?

So, LP forgets the 15th anniversary of their debut, and biggest, album, therefore doing nothing to celebrate it, but decides to do a show with Aoki a few weeks later? Cool cool. Glad to see the band maintaining their "We have no fucking clue what's going on anymore" mentality.

I'm shocked Phoenix didn't mention this at all yesterday in the LPU chat.

We've seen the band do some "weekend only" stuff this year, especially with the North American shows this summer. The Tempe show is on a weekend, then the Hybrid Theory 15th anniversary is the weekend before that (10/24). Two weeks after Tempe is this show. They really didn't know the HT anniversary was a week before Tempe? They have a huge opportunity to play a really cool LA show for it, minimal work, and they don't want to do it?

I think this LA show will be streamed...it's at an actual studio to a very small crowd and probably has all the equipment in-house to do a webcast.

I find it extremely hard to believe that they forgot about their 15th yr anniversary. They may not have anything planned for it but I doubt it slipped their minds. For a band that still holds meet & greets, and also all the efforts they make to engage their fanbase, I dont think they've lost touch with their roots.

I also don't believe they have an attitude that they have no idea what's going on. They have different priorities now it seems but their fans and charities, along with their businesses, are all high on that list. 15 years ago all they had from that group were just the fans. They've grown up, changed, adapted, and are now a conglomerate in my eyes.

Edited by loulax07

They also obviously have evolved so much as a band that they like working with Steve Aoki more than doing HT songs. The HT songs took a month or more to rehearse for the show and they didn't keep any of the rarer ones around at all. Obviously if we were in the band we'd probably feel the same...we didn't have to play those songs endlessly on stage for all those years day in and day out. Aoki is an innovative artist to them and they even play(ed) ALTNC and DTB live.

So, LP forgets the 15th anniversary of their debut, and biggest, album, therefore doing nothing to celebrate it, but decides to do a show with Aoki a few weeks later? Cool cool. Glad to see the band maintaining their "We have no fucking clue what's going on anymore" mentality.

I'm sure that mindset is part in why they wouldn't bother doing something special for HT, because its nothing more than nostalgia for people to preach about and later bash all their other work. I highly doubt they forgot, its pretty much clear that LP is just much more focused on the future, working on their 7th album and side projects. Its no secret that they no longer care to look back at their Nu-metal days, and Hybrid Theory was over 15 years ago for them (obviously they spent years before refining it), so what would be the point other than fan service for their shitty nu-metal fanbase? Apart from their live acts, LP have pretty much done whatever they personally wanted with their careers, so I wouldn't bother asking for a Meteora reunion either.

I'm an old school fan of the band but I understand that they want to evolve and grow with the future. I love Hybrid Theory as much as the next guy but I also appreciate their new musical passions and interests. The stuff with Steve Aoki isn't actually that bad in my opinion. But I think the reality is that they've only really done a few songs with him, I think Mike and Steve Aoki are just good friends so they want to do stuff together like this event. I wish LP would do another Hybrid Theory show too for the people that want to go but they DID do Download in 2014 and played the album in full for its anniversary. However, they should do a small show for the hardcore fans. But also, they shouldn't listen to those kinds of fans too much because those kinds of fans hate whenever something doesn't sound like Hybrid Theory and Meteora too basically

I'm an old school fan of the band but I understand that they want to evolve and grow with the future. I love Hybrid Theory as much as the next guy but I also appreciate their new musical passions and interests. The stuff with Steve Aoki isn't actually that bad in my opinion. But I think the reality is that they've only really done a few songs with him, I think Mike and Steve Aoki are just good friends so they want to do stuff together like this event. I wish LP would do another Hybrid Theory show too for the people that want to go but they DID do Download in 2014 and played the album in full for its anniversary. However, they should do a small show for the hardcore fans. But also, they shouldn't listen to those kinds of fans too much because those kinds of fans hate whenever something doesn't sound like Hybrid Theory and Meteora too basically

I personally believe that true fans evolve with the band and continue their support of such

I personally believe that true fans evolve with the band and continue their support of such

I agree. With that said, just because you still support them doesn't mean you have to love everything they do. I've loved a lot of the sound changes, for example MTM and ATS are both fantastic albums. MTM even has 5~ other great songs from the same sessions. I'm not a fan of Living Things, but love THP, and really dislike the Steve Aoki stuff.

I commend the band for being able to make SO much stuff that is so different and still like it all.

I still think it's weird they try so hard to suppress all those HT anniversaries. Where they are now and their whole career is based on Hybrid Theory. it defines them. It's not like they didn't want to do it and try to forget about it now. It's not something they were kind of forced to do like Meteora.

I see so many bands celebrating album anniversaries, releasing anniversary editions with bonus tracks and what not, not even the label tries to do something like that, seem completely odd to me.

Even for the 10th anniversary it seemed like they strategically tried to avoid playing a show on that date.

You can tell me that everyone in the band is forgetting about this, they just don't want to for some reason. They even have staff and tons of other business people that should know that this is coming up.

On the other hand though with this event they are not afraid to celebrate MFR, which is at this point almost 11 years old by the way.

I agree. With that said, just because you still support them doesn't mean you have to love everything they do. I've loved a lot of the sound changes, for example MTM and ATS are both fantastic albums. MTM even has 5~ other great songs from the same sessions. I'm not a fan of Living Things, but love THP, and really dislike the Steve Aoki stuff.

I commend the band for being able to make SO much stuff that is so different and still like it all.

agree 100%. but i've seen myself grow in different ways b/c of this. i started in 2000 with a burnt cd of their music. since i've gone to many shows and only recently (past few years) have i begun to embrace and take part in their other efforts such as charity work, art, movies, etc.

You are right, it would be the logical thing but that doesn't change the fact that they are doing absolutely nothing for their anniversary. At least nothing we know about for now and it's not a live show.

They already did the full HT last year for no specific reason, besides money apparently. It didn't really seem like that they wanted to do it, and there's no info if this contract prevents them to do it again in the near future.

That's not really the problem, I guess what upsets most people is that it seemed like they would do something like that and it turned out they had absolutely nothing planned.

That's at least the second time within 2 years they had a chance do something special and they didn't. The first time being SSMF, which had a really cool and promising promotion idea, with all the Xero stuff and everything, which had the fans really excited. But in terms of the show they didn't deliver.

They are like a song of them......powerless! :P

and they dont really know what their fans are looking for... and I mean the fans which know more songs than ITE, Numb, Burn It Down, New Divide....
Same here we also have with the LPU CDs in the last years. LPU 14 was more than shit.

They could renew their music style and that's ok but they should also renew their dealings with their real fans!

Korn is doing a 20-year-Korn tour now.....

The real question is though, are the old fans still the majority?

We don't always realize it but there has been a massive shift in fans over the years. I'd call it almost a whole new generation of fans. They've released so many albums now, there are many fans that became fans through ATS or even Living Things etc. that are fans of the current LP and not what they used to be. That's a fact we can't ignore and it's a little selfish to think that the old fans are the true fans, which is complete bullshit.

Can we please keep setlists and LPU CD's out of this discussion for now?

The real question is though, are the old fans still the majority?

We don't always realize it but there has been a massive shift in fans over the years. I'd call it almost a whole new generation of fans. They've released so many albums now, there are many fans that became fans through ATS or even Living Things etc. that are fans of the current LP and not what they used to be. That's a fact we can't ignore and it's a little selfish to think that the old fans are the true fans, which is complete bullshit.

Can we please keep setlists and LPU CD's out of this discussion for now?

It's true. I've became a fan during MTM era, but I think that also those fans like a special HT items like tshirt or Dvd, just to discovered that era since they cannot experienced as they're not fans during that time

At least in Mexico most of the fans are HT lovers.

I'd be willing to bet that MOST fans of LP do like/love Hybrid Theory. That doesn't necessarily mean that they either became fans during that era or make them any more of a fan than someone who doesn't like Hybrid Theory. And I'm not saying you're saying that, just so we don't go down that path.

I did not start listening to Linkin Park until around the time Living Things came out, but I love all their albums. Although I don't think HT is their best, I really do like it, and it has some of my absolute favourite songs, like In The End, Papercut, Crawling, and A Place For My Head. HT is probably my 3rd/4th favourite album from them, but they're all really close so it's hard to tell.

I'd be willing to bet that MOST fans of LP do like/love Hybrid Theory. That doesn't necessarily mean that they either became fans during that era or make them any more of a fan than someone who doesn't like Hybrid Theory. And I'm not saying you're saying that, just so we don't go down that path.

Totally agree at the M&G in Monterrey I met only 2 guys who lived the 2001 era like me

#LPGrandpa.

I really don't understand the obsession over HT anniversary, especially after last year when the band celebrated it with that specific show in the UK. If you want the band to celebrate all their accomplishments annually, then not only they will run out of ideas but also it won't be special any more.

I've been an LP fan since 2002-2003 but I personally never care which song belongs to which album. The exception is ATS which, to me, only makes sense as a whole. So I don't think you can really judge loyal fans and newbies based on their favorite album any more.