2014.07.24 - San Diego, CA - mtvU Fandom Awards

Linkin Park returns to the stage again on July 24th when they perform at the mtvU Fandom Awards in San Diego, CA. The event will be held at Petco Park, home of the San Diego Padres, and is a venue that Linkin Park have not played before despite it having been open since 2004. This is the first Linkin Park performance since June 22, 2014, when they performed a surprise set at the Ventura, CA stop of the Vans Warped Tour. The mtvU Fandom Awards set will be the 14th show in support of The Hunting Party, dating back to May 24 (exactly two months before this show) when the touring cycle began.
The band has performed in San Diego quite a few times. When they play the area in the summer, they usually perform at the amphitheatre in Chula Vista, CA (2001, 2004, 2007, 2012, and the upcoming 2014 stop on Carnivores, but not on Projekt Revolution 2008), which is less than ten miles south of downtown San Diego. In the actual city of San Diego, the last performance was at Viejas Arena in February 2011 in support of A Thousand Suns. While Hybrid Theory probably performed in San Diego at some point, the first Linkin Park show there was the day before Halloween in 2000 with Kottonmouth Kings. They headlined the same venue on the Street Soldiers Tour in 2001 and headlined Cox Arena in 2002 This will be the fifth show in the city of San Diego, but the ninth show in the area overall. Probably the most interesting thing that has happened to the band in San Diego is Brad breaking his foot in Chula Vista in 2001.
The event description for this show was a bit odd, perhaps referencing that the band would be performing twice, with it saying, "Linkin Park will be headlining the first ever mtvU Fandom Awards and the corresponding MTV Fan Fest which will both be taking place at Comic-Con International: San Diego at Petco Park on July 24th." However, we have been told by the band's management that this will be just one set by LP.
In terms of the setlist for this show, we are expecting a few live debuts for this show. Linkin Park has been rehearsing for Carnivores Tour recently, with Chester taking a break on the 19th to perform a show in Texas with Stone Temple Pilots. The band has run through "pretty much" (quoting the Rock am Ring interview) every song on The Hunting Party, so we are looking forward to them performing some new songs this summer. San Diego is a perfect chance to test a few of the new songs live. Final Masquerade, the brand new single from the band, is likely to be played and your guess is as good as ours for what other songs they will debut off of the album (War, Keys To The Kingdom, A Line In The Sand, etc). Currently, just Guilty All The Same, Wastelands and Until It's Gone have been performed from the album. What else do you think they'll play? What new songs do you think they'll debut live?
In case anyone missed the new live video from Milan (with legit live audio and a mix of fan videos + proshot videos), check that out here:

Months before this show was even announced, a crew member posted an image of the "MTVU Fandom Rehearsals" sign at Third Encore online, meaning that Linkin Park has been rehearsing since at least May for this show specifically. This goes along with what the band was saying about learning more songs from the album before the European Tour began, so this is even more evidence that something will debut in San Diego for the first time live.
Is anyone going to the show?
After San Diego, the band has a little more time to rehearse before Carnivores kicks off. A private production rehearsal takes place in West Palm Beach, Florida on August 6th, two days before the tour begins. Usually the band does some sort of Third Encore rehearsal for fans before a large tour kicks off, but we haven't heard anything about if they'll do one before Carnivores or not. For the list of the tour dates for 2014 click here.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they will debut new stuff, FM is practically confirmed. I think there's a chance we'll see War, ALITS, MTG or KTTK making a debut as well. I'm really hoping they will play Rebellion sometime, but as mentioned here before, it might be a problematic song to play live.

is this show gonna be webcasted?

lol question of the century.

No it will not be webcasted. Highlights will be shown on MTV a few days after the show apparently. Some sort of mtvU fandom special thingy. Anyone have info on that?

I don't understand their logic. Two consecutive albums saying that they are writing songs that are fun to play live and then they completely ignore half of those albums live. I'm not saying they should play the entire album every night but they could easily learn all the songs and rotate them, having GATS, UIG and Final Masquerade in every set list. Then again, they talk about how soft music is and that they want to write heavy songs but they release the two soft songs as singles, which means that from their heaviest album to date, THP, the only two songs that have a secure spot in their set lists are the soft songs ...

Please let the other song be Rebellion or KTTK. I know both would be super challenging to play live, but if somehow they could figure out how to do both of them, this would be great. Both of the songs are heavy and though I like the softer songs from THP, this is the Carnivores Tour!! They claimed this tour would super energetic. I know a lot of their past material has energetic songs, but I thought this album cycle was supposed to have a more aggressive theme. Like, I wouldn't care if they hadn't made such a big deal about all of this, but I feel like they are only halfway living up to what they said. They made the aggressive album, but promote the album's message better by putting out heavier singles and adding more energetic new songs to the set.

I can almost guarantee that Final Masquerade will be one of the songs. I was really hoping for War or Keys To The Kingdom, I love those songs and would really like to see them performed live. I guess they probably won't, though. I think the other songs is most likely Rebellion which is kind of lame...

So do you think they will do rotating set lists as usual for U.S. tours or just keep one constant setlist for all 25 dates?

I think they will rotating again and also in Europe in November. Many US fans and also German fans will be at more than one show. For me now i will go to 2 German show in November but maybe it could also be 4 shows if i will get more tickets :P

I hope that the "2 more songs" thing is related only to the San Diego show, not the whole tour. And I hope it means they have added yet 2 more songs, but they will add more. I think the 2 songs are FM and Rebbellion or KTTK. I expect that they will definately play FM, Rebbelion, KTTK, War, ALITS this year. I think FM will be played after some piano song(s) and I think it will have shortened Drawbar or Drawbar outro, as an intro.

"Two more songs from The Hunting Party."

They added more than that on the fucking LIVING THINGS tour...

They were also only playing 2 songs from Living Things on the European Tour, then added 3 for HCT. This time they were already playing 3 and added 2. Plus we know they rarely consider intros/interludes to be "songs" so the true number could really be as much as 4 if The Summoning/Drawbar show up somehow.