26.06.2011 - Imola, Italy - Sonisphere

On the 26th Linkin Park returns to Italy, where they haven't played since 2008. They will be headlining the 2011 Sonisphere Festival in Imola, which is just southeast of Bologna and almost in the middle of the country. I'd say it's about the same distance from Milano to the northwest and Roma to the southwest. Anyway, enough with my attempts at Italian geography, haha.

History time. LP first performed in Italia in Milano on March 6, 2001 on the Deftones' European Tour (my, that's a common tour to reference on this 2011 European tour) at the Palavobis. They returned in September (show page here) to headline the Rolling Stone Arena in Milano. That show was proshot and six songs were shown on MTV.

to watch 'With You' (scroll around YouTube to find the rest because it's a great performance). Linkin Park played their very first show in 2003 on the LPU Tour in Milano at Alcatraz (show page here), debuting a lot of Meteora songs for the first time. They skipped Italy on the 2003 and 2004 European Tours (both of the ones in 2003 - the canceled one and the one that was actually played) and returned in 2007 to headline the Heineken Jammin' Festival in Venice. Unfortunately the show was CANCELED the day of the show due to terrible storms and LP thankfully returned in 2008 to make it up (show page here). This is the first show in Italy for "A Thousand Suns" so this makes it LP's fifth show in the country.

In 2008, our friend JomJom showed up at the festival M&G with a Xero tape and asked the band to play 'Reading My Eyes'. I believe he said Mike was on board but Chester shot the idea down of adding it to their "Z" setlist at the time since it was only in one of the three sets they were playing on that tour (obviously not the one scheduled for Venice that day). He did, however, succeed in getting Mike to rap 'Reading My Eyes' over 'Bleed It Out' for the FIRST time that day so I believe we can all thank him for what has become a cool thing Mike has been doing ever since - randomly throwing 'Reading My Eyes' over 'Bleed It Out' when requested at shows (even on this tour a few times). Thanks man! Here's a video of the first time this happened. Wow, we sure would like a DSP of that! *wink wink @ LP mgmt*

Anyway, LP has been playing a few different sets on this tour. The DSP pics for NovaRock's show indicate that the band has a setlist for their festival shows only called "C_NO ENCORE FESTIVAL", which can be viewed at the Download Festival show page here. There haven't been any festivals outside of Projekt Revolution since the first two shows of the tour so it's possible they'll resort to this setlist for Imola especially since Italy hasn't gotten a show for "A Thousand Suns" yet.

It's possible though that they'll keep rotating their sets because they have SIX festival shows left in a row to finish this tour. We'll just have to see! What we do know is that 'Wretches & Kings' and 'The Messenger' haven't made appearances on this tour yet (outside of 'The Messenger' being played acoustically in Hamburg for the LPU Summit). Perhaps these songs have been dropped for the rest of the touring cycle? Or will they add those and maybe 'Robot Boy' to a setlist later on this tour or in Asia this fall?

The last show in München got the same setlist as Hamburg (show page here) earlier in the tour. 'Iridescent' has returned to it's normal album version live so this likely indicates that the remix version will only be played once. Hopefully the Moscow Intro to 'New Divide' returns at some point though!

Who is going to Imola's Sonisphere Festival? Did anyone get a M&G? Jom?

LP plays in Ardenal, Norway on the 28th for the Hove Festival for their next show. For the 2011 touring schedule, click here.

Setlist:

01. The Requiem

02. Faint

03. Lying From You

04. Given Up

05. What I've Done

06. No More Sorrow

07. From The Inside

08. Jornada Del Muerto

09. Waiting For The End

10. Numb

11. The Radiance

12. Iridescent

13. The Catalyst

14. In The End

15. Bleed It Out ('A Place For My Head' bridge)

16. Empty Spaces

17. When They Come For Me

18. Papercut

19. New Divide

20. Crawling

21. One Step Closer

Setlist picture from Nameless here.

Random note to self:

Whenever Linkin Park does both RME and APFMH over Bleed It Out, I will refer to it as the Wombo Combo.

because that^^^ is pretty much my reaction every time they do it.

Random note to self:

Whenever Linkin Park does both RME and APFMH over Bleed It Out, I will refer to it as the Wombo Combo.

Haha thats crazy!

Random note to self:

legit

Rumor has it that MCR were bottled and booed and booed off stage. Anyone heard anything else?

I heard that too! I hope not. I'm not a massive fan of MCR but I don't think anybody deserves that.

Italy is ahead of my timezone and it's 11 here so surely they have played now?

It seems to me this is new setlist or is it just a rotation of songs, what do you guys think about it ?

1. The requiem

2. The radiance

3. Faint

4. Lying from you

5. Given up

6. What i've done

7. No more sorrow

8. From the inside

9. Jornada del muerto

10. Waiting for the end

11. Numb

12. Iridescent

13. The Catalyst

14. In the end

15. Bleed it out

16. Empty spaces

17. When they come for me

18. Papercut

19. New Divide

20. Crawling

21. One step closer

no BTH

no fallout & wisdom justice and love

no BITS & Blackout

- but was from the inside in the set.

- first intro:

The Requiem

The Radiance

- Faint is opened the concert.

Rumor has it that MCR were bottled and booed and booed off stage. Anyone heard anything else?

Is it just me or do those guys have bad luck at festivals?

I heard that too! I hope not. I'm not a massive fan of MCR but I don't think anybody deserves that.

Also, this. Can't imagine how humiliating it must've been for the band...