That time when I played with Mike Shinoda

PeppePark

It's the night between September 6 and September 7.
I've received the e-mail from LPU; I won the Meet & Greet with Mike in Milan, Italy, on September 8.

I previously tried to play Faint with Linkin Park when the band played in Rome and Monza, but it wasn't possible, so I gave it another chance.
I didn't play guitar for over a week, cause I broke two strings on two different guitars.
But I thought: "Ok, let's try for the last time, whatever."
I put the new string on my electric guitar and played Roads Untraveled along with the video of the performance at the Rock en Seine, just a few times because I had to prepare for the trip.
And like I told him, thank you Astat for your tabs, I've learned everything about Linkin Park songs thanks to you.
In the morning I left for Milan.

I got the other mail from LPU with the pickup location and all the info.
Well, I've almost missed the M&G because I couldn't find the meeting point, I've arrived just a few minutes before the check-in started.

I told Lorenzo (in Italian) that I wanted to ask Mike to play with him, but he didn't understand, he thought that I just wanted Roads Untraveled on the setlist.

Autographs session.
I thanked Mike, he hugged me, I told him a few things and asked for a little drawing, then this happened:

Me: "Is this a Boris relative?"
Mike: "Yeah, I think so!"
Me: "What is this?"
Mike: "I think it's a mouse!" :lol:

And then... "I have an odd request..."

I started reminding him of when I asked to play Faint at the previous Linkin Park shows.
He was confused but interested.
Then I asked about Roads Untraveled and the negotiation started.

Mike: "Do we play Roads Untraveled tonight?" and there were at least three guys from the crew checking their phones.
Then he said: "Which part do you want to play?"
Me: "Br..."
Mike: "There are two parts, you know?"
Yeah I know, Mike, I was about to tell you!

On instinct I said: "Brad's part", and then I corrected myself saying "Matt's part!"
And he was like: "Oh, Matt's part?"
Me: "Yeah, octaves!"
Mike: "Octaves?" and so on!

I was like: "Don't worry, I know every part, but what tuning do you use?"
Mike: "I don't know."
He really said that :lol:

"Ok, I can play it in standard tuning and half-step down."
So, he said: "Ok, but you need to ask to Matt."
Matt was there and came close to us.
"He needs to tell you something."
"Hi Matt, I asked Mike if I can play your part on Roads Untraveled."
Matt looked at Mike and he was like: "Ok, whatever, do what you want!" :lol:

Mike still wasn't sure and said: "But if you play Matt's part, what will he do?"
"He can help with backing vocals!"
And Matt, that was so happy, said: "Yeah, I'll sing anyway!"

So, Mike said: "But we don't have time to rehearse before the show!"
"Don't worry, I've practiced for days!" (well, kind of).

Then, he smiled and said: "Ok, I guess you can do it!"

I stayed with Lorenzo after the M&G and then someone from security brought me backstage.

Then a magical moment happened.
The entire crew was about to do the hug circle and I was watching from a distance, because I felt I didn't belong there, but someone invited me to join them.
I was between Lorenzo and Dan, and Mike was in front of me with Jim.
He gave a nice speech about the Tour, Matt, and Dan, adding that the show in Vienna was the best so far. Jim agreed with him.
Then, he asked everyone to say something they were grateful for.
They all made some really beautiful speeches, they talked about how they felt like family, it was so intimate and powerful.
Then, in a moment of silence, Jim looked at me and said: "Good luck!", inviting me to say something as well.

In the meantime Mike was so hyped, he was like: "We need to bring this place down, we start with Remember The Name and Welcome!", but they didn't play Welcome :lol:

I went sidestage with Matt, I got the guitar and he said: "It's in the standard tuning" (of course it is!) and Jim put me all the stuff.

I had like 5 minutes to realize everything and to "rehearse" the song while I had When They Come For Me in my ears!

Then it happened, Mike presented and invited me on stage.
He asked again for my name, saying "Giuseppi?" (it's Giuseppe but everyone calls me Peppe).

"I don't even know what's gonna happening right now, I didn't test this out with him, I have no idea what's gonna happen, we're gonna trying anyway. I hope you're ready!"

The chorus started, I couldn't believe it, but it went good. Maybe too good.
Mike immediately turned to me and smiled when he realized that I really knew the song; him and Matt were so happy.

Matt patted me after the first chorus and Mike came and hugged me at the end, while Lorenzo took a picture.

It was incredibile, I was in front of 20,000 people, and I literally never performed live anywhere in any capacity!

I've stayed sidestage for the rest of the show, with all the crew that kept smiled and complimented on me; they were so nice, each one of them.

During the piano medley I was near to Matt and, watching the crowd singing, he said: "This moment is always so nice".
I told him about the flashmob we planned with the signs "You Hold Us Together", he really liked them; Mike appreciated it too.

And then someone came, with a beer, saying: "You have balls / Oh, by the way I'm Matt's cousin!", he was hilarious :lol:

Thank you Mike, it really was a dream come true.

Full performance:

Even reading this makes me excited, can't imagine what's it's like to be invited to play with your favorite musician like this. I'm really happy for you man! Perhaps this will be the start of a new career! :lol:

Edited by RickLPL

This is amazing!!! I'm really happy for you!

Also, my first huge laugh of the day:

Peppe: "Don't worry, I know every part, but what tuning do you use?"

Thanks man!

I laughed so much too :lol:

Maybe he uses a different tuning since he plays chords that aren't in the studio version, or he doesn't remember the original tuning since Brad, maybe, recorded that part, but it's weird in any case!

Even reading this makes me excited, can't imagine what's it's like to be invited to play with your favorite musician like this. I'm really happy for you man! Perhaps this will be the start of a new career! :lol:

Thank you Rick, it really was incredible.

And who knows... :ph34r:

Edited by PeppePark

This is amazing!!! I'm really happy for you!

Also, my first huge laugh of the day:

Peppe: "Don't worry, I know every part, but what tuning do you use?"

That's the most Mike answer he could have given if we're being real

You'd be amazed how easily guitar players at this level forget what tuning they're in, because they never really have to tune their own guitars. They commit the actual playing to muscle memory, but unless they have perfect pitch they probably have no idea if they're in E, Eb, D, or whatever. That's why when a guitar tech messes up and hands someone a guitar in the wrong tuning, it's usually a trainwreck (see: Points of Authority from KFMA Day 2014).

True story that I've never shared publicly, but screw it, enough time's probably passed by now: When LP did Hybrid Theory in full at Download 2014, the crew contacted me to find out what tuning Forgotten was in. It had been so long since they played it that none of the guys who worked on guitars during the Hybrid Theory era were working for the band anymore, so they didn't have a clue if it was drop-tuned or not. :lol:

something you'll remember & cherish your entire life, priceless

Absolutely!

True story that I've never shared publicly, but screw it, enough time's probably passed by now: When LP did Hybrid Theory in full at Download 2014, the crew contacted me to find out what tuning Forgotten was in. It had been so long since they played it that none of the guys who worked on guitars during the Hybrid Theory era were working for the band anymore, so they didn't have a clue if it was drop-tuned or not. :lol:

Oh my God :lol: :lol:

You'd be amazed how easily guitar players at this level forget what tuning they're in, because they never really have to tune their own guitars. They

LOL! I mean, I imagine they would still have some old crew members from the HT/Meteora days, but didn't know that every guitar tech from that era was gone.

• 1 year later...

Very old post, I know.
But it's been three years since that night and I just wanted to read this again, with this being the most detailed description I did since I wrote it some days after the show.

I've also made a video with different clips and I wanted to share it here!