2015.07.26 - Beijing, China (+ Livestream)

china.jpg

Linkin Park's The Hunting Party Chinese Tour is finally coming to an end after just over a week long trek across the country. After performing strong shows in Nanjing, Shenzhen, Shanghai, and Chongqing, the band will be ending the tour with a bang in Beijing, at the Banging Workers' Stadium this Sunday, July 26, 2015. Also, if you're not in China to watch the show, or if you ARE in China and just can't make it, don't worry, because there's a livestream, too.

Let's quickly gloss over Linkin Park's history in China. The band has performed there three times: 2007, and twice in 2009. When the band performed in Shanghai in 2007, their first show in China, they became the first international rock band to hold a major concert in the country. Pretty awesome! The band performed then-new Minutes To Midnight tracks like 'The Little Things Give You Away' and 'No More Sorrow' at the show. The band returned for two shows in Shanghai and Macao in 2009, with some interesting results. The show in Shanghai required 'Hands Held High' and 'Given Up' be dropped from the setlists due to China's strict censorship rules (which have been more lenient, in a sense, this tour). This resulted in some interesting happenings, though; namely a rare opener of 'Session' into 'From The Inside', which is pretty damn awesome, also making it the only show where 'From The Inside' had opened a show. The next show in Macao did not have the same restrictions, and even had a special performance of 'Bleed It Out', where Mike rapped the first verse of 'Papercut' over the extended intro of 'Bleed It Out' and even sang the chorus of 'Papercut' over the extended bridge.

Two big stadium shows in China were planned on the A Thousand Suns Asian Tour in 2011, that ended up being cancelled during their negotiations by the Chinese government due to the band's association with the Dalai Lama. That association ended up getting the band banned from China... though, thanks to Mercedes-Benz, it appears that things have changed since 2011!

Now, let's talk about this tour. To be honest, each show on the tour seemed to be fairly average in terms of variety. Nothing major truly changed throughout the tour, despite some hints that the band wanted to change things up. The band's first show of the tour, in Nanjing, was probably the most interesting when considering the "special" elements of the show. For one, the band had a rare soundcheck before the show as a warmup, as there had been no rehearsals for the tour prior. There, the band practiced some songs (the only two confirmed are 'Given Up' and 'Remember The Name'), perhaps looking for ways to censor them - the "censorship" element the government had the band do for this tour. The four censored songs are 'Given Up', 'Remember The Name', 'Welcome', and 'Bleed It Out' - a bit ineffective, as the crowd chants "FUCK!" about as loud as the band would normally do. At the show itself, 'Crawling', which was originally on the setlist as the opener of the encore, was dropped, in a similar scenario to the Honda Civic Tour in 2012, where the band dropped the song from all three sets (despite it appearing in all of them) simply because they did not want to play it. From that show forward, 'Crawling' was dropped from even the physical setlists, after only two performances of it back in Mexico. The next show in Shenzhen went off normally, with a few twists: Chester messed up the lyrics to 'Final Masquerade', and Mike played guitar on the bridge and ending of 'In The End'. The next shows in Shanghai and Chongqing went off normally, nothing really being changed. That brings us to Beijing!

Something special happening at this show, or, rather, after it will be the official Linkin Park after party at the Boombar in Beijing. Like at the after party in Shanghai, Joe will be doing a DJ Set at the event! We don't know if the entire band will be there - at the last one, we only know Joe and Mike were there. If you don't get a chance to attend the Mercedes M&G, this might be your chance to meet at least Joe and Mike!

There HAS been indications that the band wanted to change things up this tour, though. For one, a leaked document shows a list of songs the band had to get approved from the Chinese government to perform, which featured all of the songs performed on The Hunting Party Tour barring the rarities from Hybrid Theory - this includes 'A Place For My Head', 'Somewhere I Belong', 'Blackout', 'Rebellion'... and, most surprisingly of all, 'Keys To The Kingdom', which has not been performed live yet. It's highly unlikely we'll see this song be performed at this show, but maybe the band will bring it out on their next tour in Europe in August. Another thing, that's less "official" than the document, is that on the livestream website, a poll for songs the fans in China want to hear live at the Beijing show had 'Don't Stay' leading the poll for a good while! It's highly unlikely the band will perform the song (Brad doesn't even own the guitars needed for the song anymore). We can always dream, though!

YouTube is banned in China, so videos are hard to come by. Luckily, here's a pretty solid video of the Ballad Medley from Shenzhen! Seeing the crowd hold up their phones is always a beautiful sight during the song.

Despite the shows going off without a hitch, there have been some questionable moves outside of the Linkin Park crew going on that effect the shows. For one, the Chinese S.W.A.T. team has been present at almost every show, demanding the concert-goers sit down before the show starts. As soon as the band takes the stage, the crowd jumps to their feet, so there's not much effect in doing that. Another thing? Seats. Every show has had the pit filled with plastic chairs, not allowing for much movement. Pretty inconvenient! Another big problem this tour has been the LPU Meet and Greets. Perhaps by the terms of their sponsorship with Mercedes-Benz, the pre-show meet and greets are only available to Mercedes-Benz owners and VIPs. The LPU has not been able to get into these events (unless they qualify by one of the aforementioned requirements). The LPU has tried to reconcile by holding two LPU Meetups, one in Shenzhen and one in Chongqing. The band did attend, but they did not partake in the same events that would normally occur at a meet and greet. Beijing will unfortunately not have an LPU Meetup.

For the live collectors of Linkin Park, this tour may have been surprising to some. In a surprising move, we've actually gotten quite a few sources from the shows on the tour! These shows are Shenzhen and Shanghai. For Shenzhen, we have both an audio and a video source, and for Shanghai, we have an audio source. Head over to our Live Audio Download & Requests and Live Video Download & Requests subforums for a download!

Speaking of sources, as I mentioned before, Beijing will have a livestream accompanying it! That's right, you can watch this show live from the comfort of your home! The stream is hosted by Mercedes-Benz (shocking, I know), and will begin at 7:30 PM Beijing time. Time-wise, it's not very convenient for North American and South American viewers (that's 7:30 AM EST and 4:30 AM PST), but everywhere else in the world has a pretty good time for viewing! Check below for a countdown to the stream and a link to the website - don't miss it!

Livestream Info

Stream Link

Time: 7:30 PM CST (Convert to your timezone)

Countdown

Who's heading to the show? Who'll be watching the livestream with us? After this show, the band has about a month off before the last tour of The Hunting Party cycle begins in Europe on August 20 in Belgium at the Pukkelpop festival. During that tour, Fort Minor is making two appearance: in Copenhagen and Berlin. Don't miss it if you have the opportunity to go! After that, the band has one more show for the year, in Tempe, Arizona at the Monster Mash. Stone Temple Pilots is expected to release an album in the fall, and we might even see some more Fort Minor material coming out! STP will also be touring the east coast of the USA in the fall, don't miss out!

While you wait for the livestream, why not take part in some discussions? We have some interesting talks going on right now about certain topics: 15 years of LPU (and its future), Linkin Park as a brand, and the band's live attitude as of late. Definitely be sure to pitch in your two cents!

For updates on everything Linkin Park, be sure to follow us on social media! Like our Facebook page for quick updates. Follow us on Instagram for some awesome pictures of the band, too! And if you're from China, follow us on Weibo! For updates on the show, check back here or follow us on Twitter.

Check out the rest of Linkin Park's 2015 touring schedule here.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1:

The 5-show tour starts in Nanjing, at the Banging Olympic Sports Centre Stadium on Friday, July 17, 2015.

2:

Linkin Park is heading to their next show in Shenzhen, where they will perform at the Shenzhen Banging Sports Centre Stadium on July 19, 2015! That's this Sunday!

3:

This show will be at Hongkou Footbanging Stadium, the same venue as 2007 meaning this is where the band's first show in China took place. Pretty cool!

4:

The penultimate fourth show of the tour will take place in Chongqing, on July 24, 2015 at the Chongqing Olympic Banging Centre Stadium.

5:

After performing strong shows in Nanjing, Shenzhen, Shanghai, and Chongqing, the band will be ending the tour with a bang in Beijing, at the Banging Workers' Stadium this Sunday, July 26, 2015.

What the fuck, guys?

Good preshow post. I'm sure I'll be watching the show!

Seeing the crowd hold up their phones is always a beautiful sight during the song

I expected more lights tbh, something like this:

(Ballad Medley begins at 4:02, but the best moment begins at LOATR chorus/SOTD verse - btw very good quality of audio)

In Ballad Medley from Shenzen Chester seems to be in pretty good shape, I need to look at performances of other songs.

Edited by Tirea

Your recent preshow posts from China have been so similar the leaked document, KTTK, censorship, LPU & Mercedes MG, Crawling, S.W.A.T teams forcing people to.. sometimes you need to mix it up or remove things that are not neccesary

Because there's literally nothing else to write about. Trust me, I've TRIED to keep them short but every time I go with that mentality they get longer lol. Not everyone reads every post, so I'd rather include as much info as possible for those new readers who haven't seen previous posts.

Tencent is started a project called "live"since a few months ago.They webcasted Owl City's Beijing live this year.But according to people who watched that show,the quality isn't very good.

I'll try my best to recorded this show,wait for me guys.

Well, they have their own YT, so called YouKu, for instance I found the full Shenzen show on the site.

here: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI4OTM2NjQ3Mg==.html?from=y1.2-1-95.3.1-2.1-1-1-0-0

In fact Baidu Linkin Bar has collected many videos of this tour,they uploaded it to BaiduYun(Chinese MEGA)

Youku's quality is fucking terrible and there is watermark on it.If you wanna watch videos about this show,you can visit another Chinese YouTube called Tudou,the quality is better.You can choose the settings into "原画".

Because there's literally nothing else to write about. Trust me, I've TRIED to keep them short but every time I go with that mentality they get longer lol. Not everyone reads every post, so I'd rather include as much info as possible for those new readers who haven't seen previous posts.

That's not a excuse if I buy a magazine they should not write the same stuff again if I didn't read the one from the month ago, I ain't trying to be a dick btw just some constructive criticism.

Hi guys! I will try to record it from italy (the concert will be almost at 2 pm so it's more easy) but i repeat...i just try hoping that my internet connection will not drop me out. If i will upload the file on you tube later, there will be any problems? i hope that yt will not ban me

Countdown provided in the first post says that show'll start in ~1.5h while countdown from the stream link says ~6.5h... wtf?

Problem with the stream countdown I'd say. 7:30 CST is in 1.5h. This is the time the show starts, and LP also tweeted "tune in at 7:30pm CST".

Linkin Park France posted on fb that the streaming will be at 19:30 in france (so in italy too)...i'm a bit confused lol

That makes no sense. The concert would be in the middle of the night then.

Yeah, it's the same thing that i tought. I still remember in the original post here "Europe it's your chance to record it!" so it's very strange. I'm here on my pc ready to record the show in 40 minutes and i'm starving!

Do you have to sign up to the page that the stream is on? I have it open and what do I do to get it.

What has everyone else got on there screen?

I think that the sign up thing it's to leave live message during the streaming