Pre-Linkin Park Songs Live

lpliveusername

Since the live guide only lists songs we know for sure the date they were performed, I decided to make this thread to list all the songs which were performed live but aren't listed here.

And One

When asked if the band have ever performed the full version of And One live, Rob said he remembers performing the song.

An alternative/shortened version of And One was part of the band's setlist from 2000 until 2002.

Carousel

We all have heard about the infamous interview where the band said they would bring older songs for the "next tour". The songs mentioned were My December and Carousel.

Unfortunately, the "next tour" came and Carousel wasn't in the setlist.

Also, Rob mentioned during a LPU chat that the song had been performed live at some small clubs in California or Arizona. Mike also confirmed, during a Reddit AMA, that the song was performed several times before their debut album was completed.

Esaul

A Place For My Head is one of Linkin Park's oldest songs. Its first version was called Esaul and was written with Mark Wakefield, when they were still called Xero. It was even in the demo tape the band sent to Chester.

There are a couple of videos of the band rehearsing the song. One (from 1999) is a easter egg on Linkin Park's Frat Party At The Pankake Festival, and the other (also from 1999) is from Marc Ostrick's Lockout.

I believe this song have been in the band's setlist since at least 1999.

There were even a few times when Chester messed up the lyrics to APFMH and sang the chorus from Esaul (Phoenix 2000 and Berlin 2001).

Fuse

During the VyRT chat on April 20, 2015, Brad Delson said Fuse was played live before.

High Voltage

When asked if the band have ever performed the original version of High Voltage live, Rob said he remembers performing the song.

During the Hybrid Theory sessions, Mike Shinoda remixed the song and this new version was often performed live in 2001.

Part Of Me

When asked if the band ever performed Part Of Me live, Rob said he remembers playing the song at some small clubs in California or Arizona. Mike also confirmed, during a Reddit AMA, that the song was performed several times before their debut album was completed.

Pictureboard

Pictureboard was a Xero song mentioned by Mike Shinoda during a LPU chat in 2005.

It was performed live with Chester only once, in 2000, after the band changed their name to Linkin Park.

Mike said it was the only time a Xero song was performed live after they changed their name, which means it's possible that Fuse was never performed with Chester.

Reading My Eyes

After playing the song at the Summer Sonic Festival in 2006, Mike said the song was 10 years old and they haven't played it in almost 8 years, meaning the last time they had played it was in 1998, when they were called Xero and Mark Wakefield was still in the band.

So Tokyo 2006 was the first time the song was performed with Chester.

Rhinestone

Early version of Forgotten, written when the band was called Xero.

Hybrid Theory can be seen playing this song during Lockout, which was recorded in the end of 1999, so it's possible that it was performed live around that time.

Slip

Slip is another song credited to Mark Wakefield, meaning it was also a Xero song.

The band can be seen rehearsing a version of this song during Lockout, which was recorded in the end of 1999, so it's possible that this song was performed live when they were called Hybrid Theory.

Step Up

The full version of Step Up was played live by Linkin Park in September-December 2001 and during Projekt Revolution 2002.

If it was ever played by Hybrid Theory, it's unknown.

----------------------------

- Sources/quotes here.

- LinkinPark:BR's interview with Marc Ostrick here.

- Summary of the VyRT chat with Brad here.

- Reddit AMA with Mike here.

Edited by lpliveusername

Since the live guide only lists songs we know for sure the date they were performed, I decided to make this thread to list all the songs which were performed live but aren't listed here.

And One

When asked if the band have ever performed the full version of And One live, Rob said he remembers performing the song.

High Voltage

When asked if the band have ever performed the original version of High Voltage live, Rob said he remembers performing the song.

I'm 99.99999% sure that Rob was referring to the standard versions of those songs performed in 2000-2001. The question he was asked was basically "Did you ever play Hybrid Theory EP songs like (list of HTEP song titles) live," which he gave a catch-all "yes" response to without going into detail about any song in particular. That doesn't really give us any concrete info.

I'm not convinced that Part of Me was ever performed live. Carousel was at some point, because samples from it were on Joe's Tasty Gas Station Breals vinyl that he used for live performances.

The version of Slip performed live would have been different from the LPU recording too, because the version on the Lockout video starts off with the guitar riff found in the bridge of the studio recording.

Edited by Astat

I'm not convinced that Part of Me was ever performed live. Carousel was at some point, because samples from it were on Joe's Tasty Gas Station Breals vinyl that he used for live performances.

Well, the static sample from POM seems to be used at BTH performance at Smokeout 2003, I'm not sure this is the sample, but it sounds very similar, especially the beggining. It appears right after the piano version ends, and the original begins.

Step Up is also a pre-LP song that was played live, and Dedicted was also played partly live and was freestyled by Mike at a radio station.

This post seems to suggest, to add Step Up and Dedicated.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...