8-bit Rebellion

jFar

Nobody plays this game anymore, but I thought I'd point some stuff out about the game ask ask if there's anything else hidden in the game.

In this image you see the whole band talking to one player in City Center asking to join the Rebellion. I don't think that happens in the actual game. Plus while this is going on, there a player in the background getting killed by an enemy that looks like an edited cafe worker. Background players don't do anything but stand around in the final, and I've never seen that enemy in the final.

Posted Image

In this image you see other players in the same walking path as the playing player, maybe they had to be walked up to to interact with at one time? And the HUD looks like it has a level up meter.

Posted Image

When taking the application apart on the computer, you find the tracks used in the game, and most have a cover art of Brad in a different outfit (shown in a LPTV video once). Another LPTV video featured a Hybrid Theory styled Linkin Park, also. Below is the cover art and a replica of Mike's HT era sprite based on the LPTV. In the second video Mike also says that they'd keep updating the game for more missions, and there hasn't been one update yet (besides bug fixes).

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

[i can't find the first video, I think it was LPU only]

Here is just an image of Mike holding an iPhone with 8BR with an older map.

Posted Image

Lastly, a few Linkin Park 8-bit ringtones have songs that weren't on the game, do you think some songs were cut?

If most the graphics on the game weren't blacked out on the computer, I could probably find more info, but sadly, they are.

Edited by TripleXero

IMO they are a band and should stick to it, doing stuff like this in the little extra time they have, it was always going to a a half ass easy short game with basically no updates.

Edited by GraDoN

They can't even manage it on iPhone, that being a pretty huge platform and still growing, so why would you want them to put it on other platforms?

Cause I don't wanna buy an Iphone or ipod touch

• 1 year later...

This is quite a huge bump, but recently I've found out how to view the game's image files for everything, and since the game recently had some updates (that took 2 years), I took a look at it and found some leftover stuff

Posted Image

Both have the label "Whitney-from-MFR", the second being the one used and contains "v2". The design changed a lot, unlike the other images left behind that have "v2". The newer one is basicly just a recolor of Jess, or the other way around

Posted Image

I didn't notice this one at first then it really stood out, it's not in the style of either the "8-bit" or HD characters, it seems to be a hybrid of each type. It's name is "Foxy_Lady"

• 6 years later...

Mega bump, but I've never really seen this pointed out before. I was trying to make Discord emoji of the 8-bit heads not too long ago, was using the sprites from the game as a base. I always knew the sprites in game were weirdly resized and kinda stretched, but it wasn't until I was trying to touch them up and cross checking some stuff I had posted in here years ago that I notice how botched the band's art is in promo art (less so) and the game (terribly) compared to Mike's original art in the videos

This is an attempt at a 1:1 remake of Rob from the blurry shot in one of the videos, followed by promo art, and finally how it looks in game:

image.png.87b720c134368e67b575eda7591adfb0.png  image.png.3544e6f173ed5db0dde127304795cee1.png  image.png.de6a9da3b29ac9b3a736bc5c50c7ed6c.png

After a lot of trial and error, several Google searches, scanning Mike's blog on the Internet Archive, layering rotated and skewed images over one another, and pixel changes one by one, I believe I've completely recreated all of the original art shown in the video as close as possible. The most questionable parts are Rob's hair (what should be brown or black), Joe's shorts (same issue), and Dave's hat and shirt (the video is really unfocused on him). Dave also doesn't have the same color shirt in the promo art and game art.

image.png.d2ad31f1b48f629193b7a7ba27576d46.png

Next I want to tackle the Hybrid Theory art, which will probably be both easier and harder. I'll have these as a base considering one set is based on the other, but I also have less references for accuracy, and Dave looks incomplete

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey it's me, the only person who cares this much about 8-Bit Rebellion still.

IMG_9093.jpg

I'm going to be streaming the game tomorrow for Linkin Park Day (as famously declared and then later retracted by P. Diddy). There is little to no footage of the game online anymore, and what there is is usually a camera recording the screen, so for preservation's sake, I wanted to put out an entire playthrough of it.

I'll have a version of the video uploaded after the fact without my dumb voice, but if anyone wants to watch, I'll be streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/jfar920

On 2/20/2021 at 6:59 AM, jFar920 said:

Time to bump my dead thread for the 100th time

http://jordanfirari.com/8-bit-rebellion/

Work in progress remake. Originally was just going to remake the areas of the game and stop at that, but I've already added more like movable player, NPCs and warp points

This is cool. For people who never played the game, they can have at least a glimpse of that on this website.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Deafandblind said:

I was wondering about this game not too long ago. It has been delisted from the app store and there is no way of playing it without jail braking 😕

It has been delisted very long time ago. from all 4 games released with Linkin Park, none of them are still available. Without counting Burn It Down, a web browser game.

On 9/9/2022 at 5:44 PM, martinez said:

This is cool. For people who never played the game, they can have at least a glimpse of that on this website.

What is on that site as of now was a painfully long process of screenshotting the game several times, piecing things together with the source files, and trial and error, but as of a few nights ago, I somewhat reverse engineered how the layout files work and can basically automate the process of making the maps now.

It's still work in progress, but even with the fluff placements it gives me, it's still tons faster than recreating it by hand

On 9/22/2022 at 1:22 PM, martinez said:

It has been delisted very long time ago. from all 4 games released with Linkin Park, none of them are still available. Without counting Burn It Down, a web browser game.

I originally had access to it on my old apple account/iPhone but later went on to use android based phones for a number of years but didn't realise it got delisted as well as the other games though :/